Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Liquid Eyeliner

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any advice on how to apply the damn stuff without it either leaking into your eye or down your face?

Comments

• Options
    i apply it in a series of teensie little dots then go over it with an angle brush and some black eyeshadow. My biggest problem is the wiggly lines though :s

You could also try dusting under your eye with a LOT of loose powder, then any mess tends to brush right off.
  • Options
    I can't really use powder as i wear contact lenses and they really irritate them, which is why i want to use liquid eyeliner instead of kohl which has a tendency to flake a bit. Its the wobbly lines with the liquid stuff that are so troublesome! I have huge respect for any women who wear liquid eyeliner daily.
  • Options
    Lancome do a really brilliant liquid eyeliner called Art Liner - its kind of like got a thin felt tipped pen style applicator - but is somehow 3 billion times better than any other i've used - you just kind of swoosh it on and then tidy it up a bit.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Lancome do a really brilliant liquid eyeliner called Art Liner - its kind of like got a thin felt tipped pen style applicator - but is somehow 3 billion times better than any other i've used - you just kind of swoosh it on and then tidy it up a bit.

Ooooh sounds good- I was using something that sounds a bit like that by 17 but it dried out really quickly. How much are these things then?
  • Options
    I use one by No7 I think. It sounds similar to what Wyetry described - felt tip pen like. I just apply it one long flowing line and always seems to look good.
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    Ooooh sounds good- I was using something that sounds a bit like that by 17 but it dried out really quickly. How much are these things then?

I just looked on the boots website and they had it for £19 which is more expensive than I thought and i bought a new one a couple of weeks ago but maybe its just boots.

Anyway i've got a couple of limited edition coloured ones they did about 5 years ago and they still haven't dried up - so as long as your not putting masses on every day then I would say its a good investment. Mind you i'm sure there are health and safety issues around keeping eyeliner for that long or something...
  • Options
    Def go for a felt tip end over a brush - much easier to apply. And put your elbow on a flat hard surface.
    I use a cheap one and I find it's the best. The name has rubbed off now but it's in the range at Superdrug where everything is 3 for a fiver.
  • Options
    urban decay do a wicked range of liquid liners called heavy metal, it's glittery so not for everyday use but I love it.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    Def go for a felt tip end over a brush - much easier to apply. And put your elbow on a flat hard surface.
    I use a cheap one and I find it's the best. The name has rubbed off now but it's in the range at Superdrug where everything is 3 for a fiver.

2True stuff :D its ace
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    I have lipstick from that range.
  • Options
    Blah wrote: »
    2True stuff :D its ace
    That's the fucker
    lea_uk wrote: »
    I have lipstick from that range.
    Me too. Number 3 and 6 and the liners, they are quite nice.
  • Options
    I wear liquid eyeliner every day. I can't not wear it. I do the 50's thing, with a heavy line with a flick, but it's not for everyone...

I use 'écriture de Chanel' by Chanel. It's a mix between a brush and a felt tip, and it's a clicky one so it doesn't dry out.

All I can say is 'practise makes perfect' - I've been wearing liquid eyeliner for around 5/6 years so I'm very practised at it and you can be too, but you really do have to practise, practise practise.
  • Options
    can you not use pencil eyeliner? thats what I use, i tried liqiud lol and i was rubbish at it!! it goes on my eyeball lol and kills me, and wobbly lines nt i the right place, either too think of too thin!! I was hopeless!
  • Options
    jenni30 wrote: »
    can you not use pencil eyeliner? thats what I use, i tried liqiud lol and i was rubbish at it!! it goes on my eyeball lol and kills me, and wobbly lines nt i the right place, either too think of too thin!! I was hopeless!
    Pencil lasts about 30 mins on me, liquid lasts all day! The trick is not to have too much liquid on the applicator.
  • Options
    I really don't find liquid eyeliner with a brush hard to apply.

I have to agree with everyone else though - practice makes perfect!
  • Options
    I wear contact lenses too and I find prepping a cotton wool bud with eye make-up remover just wipes off any mistakes.

Apply a foundation or eyeshadow base to your lids only (leave the rest of your face free of product until your eyes are to your satisfaction). With a kohl eyeliner draw a faint line and smudge to your liking as a guide and dip the tip of the liquid eyeliner into the liquid and brush off the edges on the edge of the tube. Follow your base line with the tip only in small strokes going from the inside out. If you make a mistake, pick up the cotton bud, wipe away and start again. It takes some time but if you have the patience to experiment you'll find a method that works for you.

In a few weeks I learned how to do it without the kohl base line and both eyes now take me around 3 minutes to do completely.