Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

rent - weird

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i started renting a house in september with a group of friends, (who are all 3rd year students).

i didnt have any money straight away, so i didnt accept the direct debit thing. i was expecting a phone call within a few weeks, but no one rang. they have never asked me for it, so basically ive never paid rent. my 4 housemates pay every month. whenever they are late, they get a phonecall from the estate agents. if one mate cant be contacted, they phone another to get hold of him. they phoned my mates dad (the guarantee) today because he had missed this months rent, and he agreed to pay next monday...

but they never ever ask about my or my rent.

an estate agent was coming round about 3 times a week throughout january with a group of possible tennents due to move in in july, (when we leave). but they never mentioned anything to me then. what was weird was most of the time it was a group of 4 and we have a 5 bedroom house.

i reckon it will all catch up with me in a few months when we leave, but i sort of dont want to say anything ...just in case...i dunno.

if they dont ask they dont get i suppose....

what do you think will happen? do they have any right to demand instant payment or chuck me out?

Comments

• Options
    They have the right to demand a fairly instant payment, and they can have you evicted if you don't.

You've got yourself in a pretty stupid situation, though I realise it's tempting to get away without paying if you can but when it amounts to hundreds of pound and you could very easily get caught then it's nothing short of completely retarded to actually give into it.

It's probably time to start putting rent away in a savings account, that way when they ask you've got some of it and if they don't... well, you've got a bundle of money to spend.
  • Options
    I would definetly say that you should start saving up for when they come a'knocking. If you signed the documents for the lease and things, and they have your previous details, and your guarentors, they will catch up to you sooner or later. It would be great to think that they have just forgotten, but i highly doubt it. But like fiend said, if not, you have a nice bit of money to spend. But i really, really wouldn't count on it!
  • Options
    just going to update you on this.....

the contract ended at the begining of july, we all moved out.
    no-one got any of the £150 deposit back, (which was to be expected really...), and still no-one have asked me for any rent!

ive got a bit of money put aside in case they do ask, but even so.... what the hell?! they have my parent details, (which was my 'permanent address'), and even if theyve lost them, they have all the mobile numbers of my old housemates who ive told to just tell the truth and send them my way if they ask. (i dont want to get done for theft, obviously!)

should i be worried about this situation?
  • Options
    drumbeat wrote: »

should i be worried about this situation?

Nah, not at all. I managed to rinse the estate agent out of nearly £900 quid when I left my property. I thought they would just keep my bond, but the sent it back to me. :D

Needless to say I went out that day and blew it all before they could get me.

Fuck em' I say.
  • Options
    yeah but could they not come back to me a few months down the line?

what about when the guy who owns the house realises he hasnt got the full years rent from the estate agent?
  • Options
    yeah but could they not come back to me a few months down the line?

what about when the guy who owns the house realises he hasnt got the full years rent from the estate agent?

Thats their problem.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

Needless to say I went out that day and blew it all before they could get me.

im sure that was a happy day :hyper:
  • Options
    Originally Posted by drumbeat

Thats their problem.

:thumb:

well not if it makes them realise they havn't had any rent from me...
  • Options
    well not if it makes them realise they havn't had any rent from me...

Well pay them and stop whining
  • Options
    Well pay them and stop whining

lol.

You've moved out now and no-ones asked you for anything..they can't prove you lived there even if they did suddenly realise. which they won't! The contract ended 4 months ago!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    lol.

You've moved out now and no-ones asked you for anything..they can't prove you lived there even if they did suddenly realise. which they won't! The contract ended 4 months ago!

^^ wise words
  • Options
    ^^ wise words

You know me :angel:

p.s. i have some good news
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    You know me :angel:

p.s. i have some good news

Whats that ?
  • Options
    Sometimes you get lucky, I withdrew £200 a good few months ago from an ATM and never got charged for it.