Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The whole "virginity" deal

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Erm... because it's the first time, much the same as the first time you do most things really...

Yeah but when I first drove a car on my own, I GAINED my license, I hadn't lost my non-license status- although I had but it's the terminology of losing that's being questioned.

ETA: before you've had sex you are a 'virgin', after you 'lose' your virginity you aren't an anything. Why the special word for the person that hasn't done it, how come it's so important?
  • Options
    delahoya wrote: »
    I dont disagree with you. Sex with a random person can be amazing but as you said, you are married and you say its fantastic. Therefore, that kinda backs the idea that relationships with people you have sex with are better.

sorry, how does it back that idea?
  • Options
    I see what you mean, and loosing mine wasnt that much of a BIG deal to me, but i understand why to some people it can be.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    katralla wrote: »
    Yeah but when I first drove a car on my own, I GAINED my license, I hadn't lost my non-license status- although I had but it's the terminology of losing that's being questioned.

ETA: before you've had sex you are a 'virgin', after you 'lose' your virginity you aren't an anything. Why the special word for the person that hasn't done it, how come it's so important?
    That's what I meant, thanks for expressing it better.
  • Options
    I dont think losing it is that big of a deal
  • Options
    The phrasing 'losing your virginity' is just that - a phrase. I don't see why it's such an issue that it has it's own term, and that non-virgins don't have a special name.

It's a right of passage into adulthood, the start of things to come (no pun intended) and you only lose it once, that's why it's a big deal.

Nitpicking about the phrasing of 'losing one's virginity' seems crazy and a waste of time to me. :chin:
  • Options
    I don't think it was really a rite of passage into adulthood.
    When I "lost" mine (still hate that phrase) with my first g/f I was rather young and immature. I did not feel any more empowered or wiser or whatever than my friends. Actually after it ended, one week or two later I felt so much the very same as if it never happened. It was definitelly not a tick on my to-do-list back then. And I definitelly did not tell my friends as in rubbing it under their noses. When they asked later on I told them, but I never had the feeling to "show off" with it.

People are stressing way to much about it, imho.
  • Options
    What bothers me is the risks. Pregnancy and STIs.
  • Options
    I don't get what the big deal is, either. It's awkward and it either lasts way too long or not long enough.
  • Options
    I don't find I deserve someone so my virginity is infinite.

I still find it funny though, but I'm twisted.
  • Options
    hornet893 wrote: »
    What bothers me is the risks. Pregnancy and STIs.

Ever heard of condoms?
  • Options
    Ever heard of condoms?

:confused:

What are they, I'm a Catholic! :angel:
  • Options
    I never really understood the whole big deal about loosing my virginity. Maybe it was because until I went to uni I'd never had a boyfriend so having sex was never an "issue". Instead in freshers week I lost my virginity in a drunken/painful haze to a lad on my course in another friends bed. :o All I remember was blood and then thinking "Was that it? Was that what all the fuss was about?" :chin: No big deal really. It only got interesting when I met my first boyfriend and he showed me a few things :naughty:

HOWEVER, just before I met my partner in person (we'd had an internet/phone/letter based relationship as we were both really busy with uni and had no time to travel to meet each other until the academic year was over) I was reading an article in Cosmopolitan or something about girls who decided they were going to be "born again" virgins. The thought that you could go into a relationship, declare yourself a virgin and let it all come "naturally" (no pun intended) appealed to me. My partner knew I had alot of experience compared to him BUT I explained to him when we met that I wanted to approach sex with him as if I was doing it for the first time. That night was much more special to me than the previous 4 lovers I'd had (and that included the lad who taught me alot!).

I think sex within a proper relationship is more special and exciting as you have the chance to explore each other more often, learn what one another likes/dislikes and then move on to more "interesting" activities in the bedroom than you would involving a one-night-stand or on your first time with someone.

As for the big deal over loosing your virginity, I think we need to emphasise just how special it should be as in you should be sober (or at least not drunk!) and in a relationship with someone you trust first. I regret how I lost mine, and the reputation it got me (okay so I lived up to the reputation for a couple of months but thats besides the point :naughty::lol: ) and if I could start over I would wait until I was with my current partner instead of sleeping around.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    :confused:

What are they, I'm a Catholic! :angel:

Poor you :p

My virginity was never a big deal at any point. Why do you people worry so much?!