Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Changing doctors surgery and appointments

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:) This is probably really obvious but I like to check...

On Monday, I went and put my name down at a new doctors surgery, so they could transfer all my medical records over from my current one. This isn't really the problem, I don't like my current doctors and my new one is dramatically closer, so when I did it I'd already had a lot of recommendations, and a load of rubbish from my doctors surgery recently, so I did it without thinking too hard.

Now I've got to today, and realised I've got a doctors appointment at my original doctors surgery tomorrow afternoon! It's not really something I can put off for a few weeks or anything, but my health check for my new doctors isn't for another week and half, even though I transferred on Monday.

Question is, where am I actually registered now? I don't want to show up to my old doctors tomorrow (it's quite far out of my way) just for them to say "Oh, we can't do anything because you've been taken off our system". At the same time, I'm under the impression I can't actually book appointments at my new surgery until I've had this "health check", unless I've read that totally wrong.

Comments

• Options
    Can you ring up tomorrow morning and ask? I would have thought they'd let you keep your existing appointment, but having said that they can be a bit funny about things like that
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    I would have thought they'd let you keep your existing appointment, but having said that they can be a bit funny about things like that

:lol: Oh I'm doomed then. Yeah, I would have rang today, but I didn't realise til just now and they close at 12 on a Thursday.

They're mardy bastards on that reception/working there but I guess I'll try anyway.
  • Options
    They can take up to six weeks to transfer your notes so I doubt your old GP would actually be aware that you've switched at this stage (unless the system has changed somehow since I last moved GP which was about 3 or 4 years ago).
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    They can take up to six weeks to transfer your notes so I doubt your old GP would actually be aware that you've switched at this stage (unless the system has changed somehow since I last moved GP which was about 3 or 4 years ago).

:confused: But apparently after this health check I'm ready to go at my new surgery, the health check was only a 2 week wait...
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    :confused: But apparently after this health check I'm ready to go at my new surgery, the health check was only a 2 week wait...

Yes but they probably won't have your full set of notes at that stage (at least it is unlikely in my experience). So you would be registered as a patient there, they can start treating you but they may still be not get your notes through for a few weeks as the NHS are a bit slow at this type of thing.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Yes but they probably won't have your full set of notes at that stage (at least it is unlikely in my experience). So you would be registered as a patient there, they can start treating you but they may still be not get your notes through for a few weeks as the NHS are a bit slow at this type of thing.

Ahhh that's OK then.

I'm tempted to let out all my rage if anything goes wrong in my current surgery tomorrow (which 9.9 times out of 10 it does) just because I know I wont be going back :razz:
  • Options
    It depends which computer system both GPs use and which PCT you are under.

When I was a mardy bastard working at reception (;) ) in a GPs surgery we would register new patients by having them fill in a form but we would not enter their details on to our system until they had attended for their first 'check up' appointment. This was to avoid them registering, getting their notes sent and then not hearing from them ever again.

Once they attended for a health check their details were recorded on to the system which would send an automatic message to the CSA and they would send a list to the old GP asking for medical records to be returned to headquarters. They would forward the notes to the CSA who would then send them to us.

This only takes a long time if the old GP takes an age to send them on. This can happen if the surgery is a busy one or if they are short staffed.

My personal advice would be that you are still registered at your old surgery until they send your notes away. Your notes are unlikely to be requested until you show up and your health check and 'prove' you really do want to register. However, if you needed emergency treatment you could still ask to be seen at your new GPs as an emergency and they couldn't refuse.

If I were you I would call the old surgery and ask them to confirm your appointment time before leaving home just incase! Be careful about your 'rage' too because although you might be leaving they can 'warn' other surgeries of your verbal abuse or threatening behaviour :nervous:

Hope you get it sorted and enjoy your new surgery. There is nowt worse than having a crap GP!!