Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

So, Ruth Turner...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
... who reckons she panicked (sp?) and started thinking about her own skin, after being arrested, and thereby precipitated this latest balls up?

Comments

• Options
    what balls up?
  • Options
    It would be little surprise to find a Downing Street official trying to save their own bacon. After all, after ten years of misgoverning this country, Tony Blair can give them great advice on how to spin themselves out of any situation. Personally, I'm just amazed that Lord Levy hasn't yet been frozen out in the cold by the government.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    what balls up?
    The one the BBC aren't allowed to talk about.

The whole lot of em should be put in prison. I'll buy Blair the KY specially if he gets sent down, like the crook that he is.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    what balls up?
    More of an embarrassment to Blair's government, perhaps I should say. Well, his party, actually, because it was from raising election campaign funds that the 'cash for honours' scandal came about.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    The one the BBC aren't allowed to talk about.

The whole lot of em should be put in prison. I'll buy Blair the KY specially if he gets sent down, like the crook that he is.
    I thought an injunction was denied on this honour crap?
  • Options
    The Guardian avoided an injunction by asking Lord Levy for his opinion first. The BBC have obtained a very damning document, and whilst they're allowed to say that its an internal memo, they're not allowed to say anything else.

Of course logic dictates that if the memo was asking if anyone some chips on the way back to the office there wouldn't be an injunction.
  • Options
    Yes, I suspect this could be a very significant turn of events. I may have been a liitle light with the details, in the belief that no-one could miss this story unfolding. For those who are still a bit mystified, Blair aide's 'concern over Levy'.

What I'm speculating is that Turner (who is also a co-founder of 'the Big Issue in the North') 'blinked', and wrote a memo with the intention of covering her backside, effectively shifting the burden of dealing with Lord Levy's suggested 'version of events' onto a superior. Pretty foolhardy to put any of this down on recorded media, one might think, in the middle of an investigation that has leaked like a colander, but at the time, she may have thought Levy could be made the scapegoat for the entire dodgy venture, and with his actions in the open, her memo wouldn't be of any further interest. She may have underestimated the secrecy of the Blair government, or the stength of Levy's position, as Blair's 'personal envoy to the Middle East'.

Either way, we can expect the government to create a big cloud of atomised BS over this. SOP: 'these reports may impede the police investigations'. When the country is being run by lawyers who exploit every little loophole to save their asses, 'trial by media' starts to sound like a neat idea. Scary thought...

Ruth Turner - Wikipedia