Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Doing DIY/general maintenance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Who does it in your home? Can you do it?

I'm so pathetic...I seem incapable of doing anything in my flat. I have no lights either in the bathroom or the stairs because the fittings crumbled. I went to Homebase and bought new fittings but can't work out how to fit them (and I can't reach). :(

I have awful TV reception and can't seem to do anything about it.

My whole flat flooded last week because there was a hole in the washing machine pipe, and I didn't know how to turn off the water supply so it was gushing out for about an hour :( Now I have to pay a massive bill which I can't afford.

I really need a boyfriend who can do stuff like that. I know I should be self sufficient but I just have no idea about all these sort of things. My Dad lives 250 miles away so can't help.

Are there any books or places I can learn all this basic stuff? Or any blokes around who are qualified plumbers/electricians/general handymen who want to go out with me? :)

Comments

• Options
    Im quite handy around the house and will give most things a go.

My Dad is a plumber, my brother is a joiner and my uncle is an electrician so I have lots of help on hand should I need it too.

My sister got a DIY manual as a joke present when she moved into her flat and it's actually quite good so it might be worth having a look for something like that.
  • Options
    B&Q tend to have lots of do it yourself leaflets.
    I think the tv reception bit should be easy. Got a booster? Decent aerial? Does it need moving?

I know how to do quite a bit but am not that great at doing them. Chris doesnt have much of an idea so i tell him how to do it and he does a better job.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I do most things now around the house.

The net is an excellent place for learning this stuff so instead of getting a bloke to do it for you, teach yourself. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    My mind's a bit hazy, but I am sure there is a web site somewhere that allows you to barter / share skillsets, rather than pay someone for a job. So if you had a particular skill you could offer, in return for someone offering DIY.

The internet is also a good source, there are quite a few active forums on various DIY topics, such as boilers, washing machines, lighting etc. It pays to read up a bit before doing anything, as you're dealing with some quite serious stuff (i.e. electricity).
  • Options
    There are some great manuals to help with diy you should pop down to your local bookshop and have a look. Some are really clear and have pictures and step by step instructions.
  • Options
    since my dad died, i do most things

a) because my mum hasnt a clue b) even if she did, she couldnt because she is disabled

i do all the decorating, drilling, putting up shelves, hell, i even learnt to change a plug the other week, i was well chuffed haha
  • Options
    As suggested, get a readers digest DIY book, about £20 from any good book store...It has everything you will ever need to know. The problem is you will need the tools to do the job.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Have you seen this website? http://www.videojug.com/tag/diy
    I'm not sure it has the stuff you mention Katchika, but there's generally lots of useful stuff on there.

ETA: how to change a light fitting is in the top five film suggestions
  • Options
    Well I was very proud of myself as I went to homebase and bought a set of screwdrivers, alun keys and a new light fitting. Not having much luck though!

I only have net at work, and the connection is so slow and crashes all the time that I can't watch videos but thanks for the links, one day when I get net at home I will watch!
  • Options
    My household is rather unusual. My dad, sister and two twin brothers can't change a lightbulb - but me and my mum can do all sorts. However, my mum can do more than your average 'DIY dad' sort of figure can. I'm the one who is drafted in when she makes mistakes or can't do something though :p

I'm one of these Jack of all trades who can do anything mechanical or technical after having a look, and even if I'm not sure I'll still have a go. I've done all sorts with car engines, stripped motorbikes down, fitted laminate flooring, toyed with house and car electrics, put weight benches together, helped assemble conservatories, can do almost anything with a computer (Currently building my first website - for a company), and so many other things I can't think of.

As much as that might sound like I'm blowing my own trumpet, things have backfired on me more than once - such as changing my girlfriends lambda sensor in her car for £40, then having the garage she took it to for her MOT charge her £200 for a new lambda sensor simply because they saw it hadn't been done professionally, broken computers, etc. However, it's a handy attribute I have, and I would never want to turn it into a job. Fixing / constructing / fitting things is purely something i do for fun. I think it's something which generally requires the natural urge to do it, if you get me.

I need to lay off the stimulants, so many random and long posts tonight :p