Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Not enough time in the day?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi all,
I'm having some major scheduling issues right now... I'm 20, going to college, working, taking karate (Am working hard as I am near black belt), trying to mange to keep my friends, as well as a girlfriend. I live with my parents right now, and they're getting tired of me not having enough time to spend with them, and are saying that I need to get my priorities straight and put them ahead of everything...

The thing is, is I visit my ailing Grandmother weekly, try to at least see my girlfriend every few days, and get the occasional friend outing in, but other than that, I work, practice, study, and go to school 99% of the time. I just can't appease everyone! I'm going crazy! They're response was to at least cut back on some things, but I just can't see anywhere where I can.

Work needs me as much as possible, and I'm already cutting that down and it's hurting my job already.

My sensei is a real tyrant when it comes to karate, therefore if I miss a class, it could put me months up to even a year behind schedule for my black belt which I need before I finish College (Criminal Justice Major).

I have to keep my grades up to get into a four year university, so I can't cut down on studying. I have nearly zero downtime, and it's just starting to get to me!

Any ideas on what I could do? I don't dislike them or anything, it's just I have too much asked of me from all sides, and it's pulling me apart. :nervous:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Try writing yourself a proper timetable of what you're doing, how long it takes and what the travel times are etc.

8 hours sleep, 8 hours work and 8 hours play (well hobbies, social, travel, domestic etc) a day, if you plan it out you'll probably find you've got more time than you think. If you're determined to keep up everything then you need to get organised.
  • Options
    You're 20. You need to tell your folks that you're not a baby anymore. You're not there to keep them company!
  • Options
    I have to agree, you 20, so you should spend time doing what you want to do. Sometimes parents dont want to admit you have grown up and have your own life.

Sounds like your doing a good job of keeping everything together. Maybe speak with your parents and let them know them wanting to see you all the time is putting pressure on you.

Trying to please everyone else and keep them happy is impossible.

Just do whats best for you.

Good luck

:thumb:
  • Options
    8 hours sleep, 8 hours work and 8 hours play (well hobbies, social, travel, domestic etc) a day
    x 6 / 7 days a week.
    if you start to schedule everything, you'll find you have a lot better time management skills :yes:
  • Options
    I know exactly how you feel, im thinking of dropping a subject this close to the end because I am SO busy! Its a horrible situation I always frind myself not going out, and still awake at 3am working.

I think the timetable thing is a great idea, also....your in college and you work - maybe give up the job for a little while? I dont really know the situation too way it be out of the question. If you talk to you parents then im sure theyd understand and if you needed the extra money hopefully you can rely on them to lend it to you until after exams are over? and then you can get a job?

Hope it turns out OK im sure youll be fine - im just counting down the days till the summer and I can catch up on sleep!!!
  • Options
    Students ? not enough time in the day ? Get outta bed then !! Lol.

Either that or get a bigger watch.
  • Options
    To an extent I can sympathise, last semester I was working around 30 hours a week on top of all my uni work, doing voluntary work, and never getting a day off. During my reading week I worked around 53 hours, and it would have been 55, only I needed a 2 hr break for a driving lesson, it was becoming completely ridiculous.

I failed all my exams because of the fact I just could not devote nearly enough time to my subjects, but this was probably the kick in the rear that I needed. I now work around 18 hours a week, and can now plan my time better. My assignment results are great, and I am much more relaxed. Just remember your well-being and education are the 2 most important things in your life right now!! :)

capo2