Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

worst smell

2»

Comments

• Options
    Jamie LJamie L Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Nah, chances are you never smelled it... It occurs when the fat in the butter gets rank, in an oxygen-poor environment.

I.e. put butter into an airtight tupperware box, put it in the sun for 2 weeks and do not ever open that box again.

It smells like vomit, shit... just undefined, and it really aggravates the nose, so you get nauseous of it quite easily. you can't wash it out, so a single droplet on a piece of cloth makes everyone leave the room for hours/weeks.

Think it's Butyric Acid. It's a pungent vomit smell. During Chemistry at school, one muppet decided to play with and spilled it on the bench. Cleared the entire science block for a week!

Clicky for link
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jamie L wrote: »
    Think it's Butyric Acid. It's a pungent vomit smell. During Chemistry at school, one muppet decided to play with and spilled it on the bench. Cleared the entire science block for a week!

Clicky for link

I checked the wikipedia entry for "butyric acid" and you seem to be right. In german it's "Butter-säure" whereas Säure is acid. Of course it is just a trivial name, since C3H7COOH is Propan-Carbonacid, or Butanacid (tanslated from german).

You are right tho, the smell is revolting and can make rooms unuseable for weeks.
  • Options
    I hate the smell of wet metal cans. I know that's odd but my dad makes me clean them out when I'm home to recycle and eugh eugh. Corned beef. Wrong. Tinned hot dogs make me very very ill!

I do like the smell of petrol, mince...yeah...
  • Options
    A fart in a caravan.
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    And is it sulpher, that stinks like egg? Yuck that's horrible too.

Yes it is. Actually, I think it might be mixed with something else to make it smell that way.
  • Options
    Sick, which is what I and my room smell of now...

Why did I throw up in the sink? It's got a bloody tidemark. And there's no way I'm going near it before my stomach has settled a bit more. Windows open I say.
  • Options
    Vomit - a guy threw up violently in english last monday....
    Going to the loo when someone else has just made a massive stink, and cheese toasties done in our toasty maker make me heave, because i ate 2 one day as was quite sick later on. Even though it had nothing to do with the toasties.
  • Options
    nob cheese
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Yes it is. Actually, I think it might be mixed with something else to make it smell that way.

The typical rotten egg smell comes from SO² (sulphurdioxide), when sulphur combusts with a surplus of oxygen, or from H²S (Hydrogen Sulphide). You use it to let metalions in solution precipitate as the respective metal sulphide.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    What is this? A Chemistry lesson?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    :lol::lol: strubbles seems to think so, One smell i hate is the smell of fresh fish :yuck: :yuck:

Fresh fish shouldn't smell... it only smells if its gone off. :p
  • Options
    want to bet on that, take yourself down the harbour when the trawlers are coming in :p

:rolleyes: Yes... with all the dead rotten fish that they throw away before they sell on the good stuff.
  • Options
    Ever caught a live fish? They still smell but no where near as the loing time dead ones.

The smell makes me hungry to be honest.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Fish, brussel sprouts, B.O.
  • Options
    When you de-breast a pheasant that's been hanging for 2 weeks. :yuck:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The worst smell ever was something I unfortunately smelled yesterday. It was pissing down with rain, and some idiot had decided that was the perfect day to spread some sewage around one of the local farms. The smell was even more malodorous and rancid than normal.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    The worst smell ever was something I unfortunately smelled yesterday. It was pissing down with rain, and some idiot had decided that was the perfect day to spread some sewage around one of the local farms. The smell was even more malodorous and rancid than normal.

Muck spreading certainly can smell a bit ripe. It's not that bad though.

For me the worst smell is ammonia.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    What is this? A Chemistry lesson?

tomorrows lesson: effects on drugs on your brain, or what is left of it.
  • Options

:yeees:

Coem on then. Tell me all about it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Muck spreading certainly can smell a bit ripe. It's not that bad though. For me the worst smell is ammonia.
    Now that you mention it, I'm inclined to agree.
  • Options
    There is no smell on this earth worse than cat poo.

It makes me gip continuously and uncontrollably until it's gone :sour:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Once a woman climbed on the bus who smelt of cigarette smoke and urine. That wasn't nice.
  • Options

Another twattish comment brought to you by StubbleS.
  • Options
    Rotten turnips.

Anybody who's ever lived in rural area and driven past a field with stockpiled rotten vegetables will agree.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Rotten turnips.

Anybody who's ever lived in rural area and driven past a field with stockpiled rotten vegetables will agree.

:yes:

And peoploe often say that cut grass sis one of their favourite smells. That's only when the grass is picked up and disposed of. When there's enough of it and it begins to rot (which it does very quickly) it honks.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Cigar smoke smells far far worse then cigarette smoke.
  • Options
    Cigar smoke smells far far worse then cigarette smoke.

I really like the smell of cigar smoke.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Pipe is really horrible.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I really like the smell of cigar smoke.

:thumb:
    It makes me want to :sour: for reasons I'd rather not discuss.
  • Options
    see if you can top this, i dare you. i used to work overnights at a grocery store stocking frozen foods. above the aisles there used to be those styrofoam containers you can use for picnics, ect. and sometimes people would leave things in the frozen aisle that weren't supposed to be there. well that right pissed me off. so what i would do is use my box cutter and slit the package open of whatever was there and i had one special styrofoam box that i'd toss it all in. so for six weeks a package of spinach, bag of green beans, pack of hotdogs, package of shrimp, and block of swiss cheese sat. you can only imagine the fun me and my mates had putting that container under the managers desk and locking the door. later we took it and threw it in the cardboard compacter. it made the whole back store room of the place smell. and that store room was big; 3 stories tall, 100 feet wide, and maybe like 400 feet long.