Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Getting a Cleaner?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm considering getting a cleaner in to clean our rented 3 bedroom house. Just the communal areas need doing, and with my job commitments, I don't have the time to keep the place tidy (but I like a clean place, guess I'm a bit funny about that!)

What's the best way to go about getting a cleaner, and are there any common pitfalls / issues I should look out for?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Personnal recommendations are the best way, ask about, find someone who's got one they like and go through them.
  • Options
    If you dont' know anyone who has a cleaner - then look out for adverts etc put through your door or check your local newspaper - then follow up on at least 2 or 3 references before you employ anyone.

Your other alternative could be to go through an agency - but they are often more expensive.
  • Options
    I remember a thread in Urban75 about cleaners, it had 1,800 odd posts. Wouldn't if this will turn out similar.
  • Options
    My mum is a cleaner and she works at a private school and was recommended by one of the people she works with, to an elderly woman looking for a cleaner. I'd suggest going through recommendations. Some of the people that come to the private school she works at, are from agencies and are complete slackers. Some of them didn't last long and bailed out when they got bored. That's not to say there are some genuine, reliable agencies but recommendations give you more of a genuine response on how good people are at there job.
  • Options
    Cheers for the responses guys, much appreciated as always! :)

I think personal recommendations seem to be the way to go! We have a good cleaner at work, so that might be a good starting point? I thought about advertising, but I am concerned in that I want to get a genuine, good cleaner!

I don't really I want to go through an agency, if it results in an added cost.

(If only I wasn't so busy as to have to get a cleaner, but that's another story!)

:)
  • Options
    Whoops! I thought this thread was originally asking for someone to help them find a hitman... must be the tiredness creeping in!
  • Options
    Personal recommendations are always best I think, costs less too I would think.

And, sorry for the comment but is your place THAT dirty that you need a cleaner? I know a lot of busy people who still tidy up after young children/pets etc.

I had a woman the other day in my work telling me she was selling her house and had a "team of professional cleaners" in. I was shocked that a house would need that amount of attention.
  • Options
    I would also find out what they include with the service. I know some cleaners will only clean work tops that have been cleared etc...
  • Options
    Jazza wrote: »
    Personal recommendations are always best I think, costs less too I would think.

And, sorry for the comment but is your place THAT dirty that you need a cleaner? I know a lot of busy people who still tidy up after young children/pets etc.

I had a woman the other day in my work telling me she was selling her house and had a "team of professional cleaners" in. I was shocked that a house would need that amount of attention.

I'd normally keep the place tidy, but at the moment I'm on a couple of huge jobs for clients, which means for a couple of months I'll be practically working, eating or sleeping (and resting - but I don't want to be cleaning then!). As it's nothing permanent, I thought it best to get a cleaner.
  • Options
    I'm in the process of trying to find a good cleaner. I only own a 2 bed appartment, but i hate finding myself cleaning/tidying up at night when i've come home from wherever. Too lazy.

What sort of prices are you guys paying for cleaners?

I had a quote for £20 per week for two visits of 1 hr.

I thought that was good? ?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Yep £10 an hour sounds about right.
  • Options
    My cleaner charges £8 an hour and has honestly changed my life and my house as before I seemed to spend all weekend cleaning and it never got any cleaner - and if we went away for a weekend or went out then the whole place would look crap for weeks on end and i hated it.

She comes once a week for 3 hours so is £12 a week each between the two of us - or the price of a round in the pub (and much better for my liver and brain)
  • Options
    Thanks for the pricing info, think I'm close to getting this sorted now :)