Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

So, I tried the dreaded smack!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well it depends on what you mean by "addicted". Personally, I don't think it's a terribly useful term. People tend to associate the term with physical dependence, which is only one factor in the complex phenomena that is "addiction". Breaking a physical dependence is the easy part...staying away from the drug is the hard part. People become dependent on drugs for a variety of reasons - a mixture of biological, psychological/emotional and social factors. Hence the "bio-psycho-social model" of dependence.

When people say that they were addicted to heroin the first time, they don't mean that literally they couldn't do without it from the first time. What they mean is that it made them feel so good, took away all their pains, worries and stresses that they would have a very strong urge to keep going back to it. IME, most people who become dependent on heroin have psychological (could be depression, personality disorder, childhood abuse, anxiety etc) and social (poor housing, poor education, no employment prospects etc) factors going on that make taking a painkiller very attractive.
  • Options
    so many people dismissing how powerful a psychological addiction is, certainly isnt helpful. If it was easy to break a psychological addiction, then there wouldnt be so many people who lose their homes, their families, their lives over gambling for instance.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    so many people dismissing how powerful a psychological addiction is, certainly isnt helpful. If it was easy to break a psychological addiction, then there wouldnt be so many people who lose their homes, their families, their lives over gambling for instance.

I havn't dismissed it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Your experience really interest me mate, its refreshing to read the positive side of the heroin experience that people are usually silence aboutm, forgetting the fact that no one would do it to begin with if it was gorgeous.

Just please, ignore me if you like, but as someone who is certainly no alarmist and who is a heavy drug user himself, DON'T try it again. PLEASE!

Every smackhead starts out the same way, they all think they will be the exception. Its stastically shown in tests that 50% of heroin users will get hooked after one or two hits, but a vast percentage will continue experiementing until an addiction comes, and it will come very fast. It is not a drug you can be an occasional user of. Its too nice to resist and also it is PHYSICALLY addictive so your good sense will have no control over that. No addict plans to end up shoving needles in his cock or his eye but they all have to in the end. The stuff on here dsiscussing addictions is speculating and chit chat. The fact is that heroin is grossly physically addicitve substance and can't be compared with an addiciton even as strong as coke, cigs, whatever, because the psychological addiction is only one part of it. The reason E isnt psychologically addictive is complex, but basically it works ona different part of the brain, sorry for oversimplifying here. Whoerver the person is sayiong "how come I aint addicted to E then"...it aint that simple.

Please mate, with all drugs, get then good from them and not the bad. You've had one up on most of the world, you've plundered heroin and got an awesome experience out of it and walked away laughing. Makle sure you have the last laugh. Turn abck once and you wont.

I hate sounding like a moralist, I'm not. But your someone who is clearly a GOOD drug user, you got a great experience from it. So take it away with you.
  • Options
    DrugBoy wrote: »
    Your experience really interest me mate, its refreshing to read the positive side of the heroin experience that people are usually silence aboutm, forgetting the fact that no one would do it to begin with if it was gorgeous.

You make no sense.!!!??

But yeh stay away from brown!
  • Options
    Well said drugboy. You're definately right nice one.

It's an experience to be had for sure but its too much of a risk.

And like ladyjade said, with my past abuse/use of drugs I shouldn't take that risk.

Saying that I'm sat here after a few crack hits and a g of coke. Still, thats something I can leave alone. I definately have a problem with downers, I've even stopped smoking dope.

Theres too much in life to see and do without putting the brakes on. :)
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Just a quick reminder that if you are going to use statistics, please reference them properly, otherwise we might think you are pulling them out of thin air ;)