Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gordon Brown shows what he really thinks of working people

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Toadborg wrote: »
    That would be to do with funding for training.

Not struggling to attract people to nursing.
    How about keeping them in the job?

And moreover, why do they struggle to keep them on the job?
    I earn a lot less than 20k and I do OK. Even if you live in a London, if you earn 20k then you are better off in financial terms than me. So I don't see how 20k can ever be viewed as a bad wage.
    It is not a good wage either. And unless someone is on a very, very good wage pay cuts should never be an option. Specially when largely surplus senior managers are getting obscene wages, bonuses and rises.
  • Options
    There is NO problem attracting people to nursing and filling up the courses, it's right to say that they're usually oversubscribed initially.

The problem is with retention of nursing staff both in terms of retaining them for long enough to complete the course and qualify, and in terms of actually going on to take a job within the NHS post-reg as a lot of qualified nurses (myself included) don't go [immediately, at least] into a nursing job... or alternatively they go abroad. That's why there's talk of "paying back" the bursary with a certain period of NHS service after people qualify.

There is a struggle to attract people to a career in nursing and keep them there, and little wonder when their payrises don't even meet inflation. To suggest otherwise is bollocks.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I'd consider a decent living that in which people can afford to rent a place which is not a shithole, pay all their bills including council tax, transport etc and not be left totally skint.

I would also consider a decent living that in which you might have a chance one day of buying your own place. If you are on 20k you'd better find yourself a rich partner because you will never buy one on such wage.

Yeah but some people have different lifestyles. Eg, my sister lives in London but she cycled everywhere, therefore her transport costs are nil. Others would expect to drive a petrol heavy car everywhere, by themselves (ie not splitting costs with passengers), plus have fully comp insurance, which is going to cost loads. It's just down to priorities.

I assume most people don't buy alone as to buy alone you would either need very rich parents or a very high salary by yourself. It shouldn't be like that, but that is the way it is.

There are schemes about now to supposedly help people on a low wage buy houses, such as 50% buy, but then you end up paying a mortgage AND rent.

If someone sorted out bloody rich people doing buy to let it would help.

Sorry to go off topic.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote: »
    IF it's unclear....
    A 20k per annum wage in London equates to just over 16k per annum in Walsall ( I use the 2 as examples as I worked in both).
    When I applied for my first job in London, I asked for £25k pa to be able to live there. And they obliged. (Retrospectively, I should have asked for more ;))

Giving a raise below inflation rate indicates a weak economy.
    So the thing Tony Blair said this week in Parliament about Gordon Brown making UK's economy one of the strongest in major countries in the world, does not make sense.
    But there is money for other things isn't there? There's plenty of money for Trident missile replacements, foreign wars or obscene wages, perks and benefits for MPs.

And there is far more money in the private sector and in private hands. As ever it's the distribution of that wealth that is the issue.
  • Options

Giving a raise below inflation rate indicates a weak economy.

In the private sector it does (for whatever industry concerned), but not necessarily for the public sector.

Even if it was the symptom of weakness does not mean that it is not a good policy to achieve a goal, which is low govt deficit and inflation, both signs of a strong economy...
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I don't think nurses get awful pay at all Aladdin. My best friend is a nurse and she does all right, better than me and most other people our age. They also get paid (a bursary) to train. Not saying everything is rosy but it does irritate when people always bring up the case of the 'low paid' nurse.

Are her hours and work load comparable to you?
  • Options
    Could you try to be less of a simpleton please?

As kat suggests, nurses are in fact getting paid rather well, at least £19k for standard adult nurses according to the NHS website. i am sure the average is over £20k. This is not 'fuck all' by any reasonable standard.

You're having a laugh ain't you? £19K is fuck all for a professional job like nursing.
  • Options
    What does London have to do with it? This is about the whole country not just one city.

20K may be "fuck all" to you, but most people where I come from earn less than that and still manage to live. Maybe you and your friends can look down on it as "fuck all" but if I was making 20K I would be pretty pleased to be honest as it's far more than I currently make.

Yeah of course you couldn't buy a house in London on 20K but neither could anyone, nurse, or cleaner, or anybody else.

You can buy houses around here with a partner if you both made 20K.

How much would you propose nurses are paid?

I can't believe the bullshit you're coming out with. Have you any idea what nursing entails?
  • Options
    Does she mind living on a boat?

I know rents in London are ridiculous but there are places out there. My sister has been renting there for years, on a wage less than 20K.

20K probably is a shit wage for London if a person gets the tube everywhere and doesn't want to live in a houseshare, but a lot of places in the country, 20K is a good wage. Anyway that's down to opinion.

I didn't mean to distract from the point of the topic. I just took issue with the whinging about the "shit wages" of a nurse which are much more than many other jobs, including care assistants, most of whom only get minimum wage.

What planet are you on? In no way can £20K be considered a good professional wage. I agree that care assistants also get shit money. However, care assistants don't train for 3 years.
  • Options
    Aren't you one of them?

No. I have a soul. I work directly for the NHS and am bound by the same wage structure as Nurses.

Management Consultants work for themselves/private companies and charge by the day.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    What planet are you on? In no way can £20K be considered a good professional wage. I agree that care assistants also get shit money. However, care assistants don't train for 3 years.

19K is the starting wage for a nurse (this is according to my friend). It then goes up depending on what training and role they have. I think that is quite good, and certainly within the group of people I know, it is good.

Do you have to resort to swearing every time someone says something you don't agree with?

In an ideal world everyone working would get at least 30K and be able to buy a home but we don't live in a perfect world.

I do think 20K is a good wage, for myself but at the moment I don't have kids, I might change my mind in the future. Am I not allowed to say that I think 20k is a good wage? Just because some people don't agree!

My friend, who is a newly qualified nurse, personally said to me that she wanted to become a nurse because it offered her a good career opportunity where she could move up and earn a decent wage to help bring her kids up on, she is also a home owner.

I guess it depends what background you're from. I consider 20K a good wage, I guess if you are brought up to expect more then you wouldn't.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    You're having a laugh ain't you? £19K is fuck all for a professional job like nursing.

Your a real working class hero aren't you?

Won't get out of bed for less than 20k, and your the one always claiming to be 'in touch with the masses'

:lol:
  • Options
    I despair of people here sometimes, I really do. :(

Thatcher's children.
  • Options
    Your a real working class hero aren't you?

Won't get out of bed for less than 20k, and your the one always claiming to be 'in touch with the masses'

:lol:

What the fuck are you on about? :confused:

Who said anything about not getting out of bed for less than £20K?

Got any points to make Toadborg? How's your "masters" (snigger) degree coming along?
  • Options
    19K is the starting wage for a nurse (this is according to my friend).

:thumb: That's right.
    In an ideal world everyone working would get at least 30K and be able to buy a home but we don't live in a perfect world.

It would hardly be ideal though because other prices would increase accordingly... e.g. if all tesco workers were on £30k then prices in the shop would increase...
    I do think 20K is a good wage

For some it is, and of course that's basic and there are top ups for night shift etc.

But you are talking about the people who care for you when yuo are sick and personally, I value my care higher than that.

Give Gordon his due, wages have increased significantly in his tenure but it still isn't enough IMHO. At least not for some of the nursing gardes. Us Managers and Doctors are paid well enough as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    Funny how everyone mentions nurses and no-one complains about how the real drivers of this country's public services, the civil service, are grossly underpaid.

:thumb:

Interesting how people latch onto the nurses but not all of the other civil servants affected. Guess emotions play a part...
  • Options
    19K is the starting wage for a nurse (this is according to my friend). It then goes up depending on what training and role they have. I think that is quite good, and certainly within the group of people I know, it is good.

Do you have to resort to swearing every time someone says something you don't agree with?

I do think 20K is a good wage, for myself but at the moment I don't have kids, I might change my mind in the future. Am I not allowed to say that I think 20k is a good wage? Just because some people don't agree!

My friend, who is a newly qualified nurse, personally said to me that she wanted to become a nurse because it offered her a good career opportunity where she could move up and earn a decent wage to help bring her kids up on, she is also a home owner.

I guess it depends what background you're from. I consider 20K a good wage, I guess if you are brought up to expect more then you wouldn't.

It might objectively be a "good" wage, but it is not good enough for nurses imo. Illustrated perfectly by the scores of qualified nurses who leave the profession year after year because the incredibly draining workload, disruptive shift patterns and meagre compensation are just too much. Obviously nurses love their job (for the most part, anyway) but we all work to be paid at the end of the day, and at the end of the day I don't think services rendered match up with the payslip.

I know this will sound patronising, don't take it that way, but it is glaringly obvious that you don't know a lot about the role of a nurse. If your friend indeed thinks that she is being paid fairly for her work then I suspect she undervalues herself too, because she should be being paid more.
  • Options
    Nursing is just an example and the one I know most about, and the most obvious one at that.
  • Options
    :thumb:

Interesting how people latch onto the nurses but not all of the other civil servants affected. Guess emotions play a part...

Of course they do. Being a nurse is a much more demanding job than pushing paper in the civil service.
  • Options
    But there is money for other things isn't there? There's plenty of money for Trident missile replacements, foreign wars or obscene wages, perks and benefits for MPs.

And there is far more money in the private sector and in private hands. As ever it's the distribution of that wealth that is the issue.

Private and Public sector operate differently.
    It's not viable to compare the two when it comes to wages, there will always be more money in the private sector because of various things.

The problem with the Public sector is that there are too many rules and too many limitations. And also things like money allocation, (in simple terms here's 10 grand, you got a year to spend it, if you don't, you won't get that much next year, and that money has it's limitations, eg if you get 10k for office equipment, you can't spend it on team building).
    Civil servants ARE underpaid, they deal with most important issues in people's lives all the time.
    However, nurses are grossly underpaid, just look at the gap between a doctors pay and nurses pay which I imagine is pretty wide.

Also, a strong economy with an ever rising inflation is a paradox.
    It's not so much about distribution of wealth, but distribution of funds.
  • Options
    Briggi, you're right, I don't know a great deal about nursing but I daresay most people are in the same boat as me. I've been with my friend the whole time from her application through training and a year on the job so I possibly know a little bit more than others. She's told me about some of the stuff she has to deal with, patients that die, with terminal illnesses, awful parents, all sorts.

Blagsta, why do you have to bring up Margaret Thatcher? I don't even remember her and find her completely irrelavent to my life. Remember this is a site for people aged 16 to 24 primarily, so references to Thatcher don't really mean much to most. I was 7 when she left her office.
  • Options
    No. I have a soul. I work directly for the NHS and am bound by the same wage structure as Nurses.

Management Consultants work for themselves/private companies and charge by the day.

I know. :chin:
    I was taking the proverbial piss.
  • Options
    Briggi, you're right, I don't know a great deal about nursing but I daresay most people are in the same boat as me. I've been with my friend the whole time from her application through training and a year on the job so I possibly know a little bit more than others. She's told me about some of the stuff she has to deal with, patients that die, with terminal illnesses, awful parents, all sorts.

Blagsta, why do you have to bring up Margaret Thatcher? I don't even remember her and find her completely irrelavent to my life. Remember this is a site for people aged 16 to 24 primarily, so references to Thatcher don't really mean much to most. I was 7 when she left her office.

Do you think pay should reflect your skills and experience in the public sector as it does in the private sector?

Also, do you think that everybody should be on the minimum wage possible for them to be able to survive/be comfortable or do you think that there are wage classes for jobs and wage classes within jobs?

Private Sector is driven by benefits and bonuses.
    Public sector is not.
    Thus the low motivation within the public sector.
    Also, if you live with a partner and you are both on 20k each, that's obviously more than enough.
    However if you are on your own, it's not. Relatively speaking of course, as everything is relative to one thing or the other.
  • Options
    First of all everyone calm down, secondly talking about previous political leaders is of course allowed - I'm not about the ban talking about the second world war because this is a website aimed at 16 - 24 year olds - and of course Thatcher is central to how the current NHS is working - and especially the concept of 'Thatcher's children'

But mainly - everyone calm down, there's a debate taking place here that doesn't require people bitching.
  • Options

Do you think £20K is fair pay for dealing with life and death and all the emotional stress that involves?

Because your attitude is a Thatcherite one. Thatcher succeeded in making your attitude to nurses pay seem like an acceptable attitude. You are a child of Thatcher.
  • Options
    I thought a typical reference to thathcer by people like you would be to greed. Thatchers children I imagine most people would take to mean materialistic, greedy people motivated primarily by money.

Yet it is kat who is saying that 20k is a lot of money and you saying the opposite!

So you seem to have things the wrong way round......
  • Options
    Quit trying so hard Toady.
  • Options
    I thought a typical reference to thathcer by people like you would be to greed. Thatchers children I imagine most people would take to mean materialistic, greedy people motivated primarily by money.

Yet it is kat who is saying that 20k is a lot of money and you saying the opposite!

So you seem to have things the wrong way round......

It does look like that, doesn`t it ?

Similarly, Aladdin says
    Perhaps people should ask themselves what kind of country they would like to live in: one where everything is for sale, where money is the one and only concern and priority and where national heritage and treasures are sold off one by one and let go forever... or one where money isn't everything.

I certainly know which one I'd prefer.

and yet, in this thread, money IS the one and only concern.

Confusing.
  • Options
    seeker wrote: »
    and yet, in this thread, money IS the one and only concern.

Confusing.
    No, not really. The wellbeing of nurses and fair pay are the concern for many. I'm surprised you cannot see that.
  • Options
    No, not really. The wellbeing of nurses and fair pay are the concern for many. I'm surprised you cannot see that.

Oh I believe they can see it, only it's much more fun to veer away from the discussion and try to get a rise out of people.

Childish.

Frankly, it's sad to see that people can't have a objective discussion and at least be open to another person's view if not agreeing.