Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

computer running slow

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Don't know why, but it's suddenly slowed up. I haven't downloaded or installed anything new recently either, it's just decided to take its time over everything. I thought I might go through and delete/uninstall any of the stuff I never use, but is there anything else I can so to improve my computer's speed?

I'm not that computer minded, so I'm sorry if this turns out to be a rather simple question :confused:

Comments

• Options
    All Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Cleanup

and

All Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Defragmenter
  • Options
    If the rabove doesnt help then you may be wanting to run a full system scan with your antivirus
  • Options
    Even simpler than that, look in your taskbar (bottom right of the screen).....lots of icons = lots of programs running, which obviously takes up lots of proccessing power. Have a wee study and see what programs you use and which ones you dont and see what you can disable from there.
  • Options
    cheer guys, will try them out
  • Options
    Don't know why, but it's suddenly slowed up. I haven't downloaded or installed anything new recently either, it's just decided to take its time over everything. I thought I might go through and delete/uninstall any of the stuff I never use, but is there anything else I can so to improve my computer's speed?

I'm not that computer minded, so I'm sorry if this turns out to be a rather simple question :confused:

Well, if you go to start, all programs, and accessories you'll find disk defragment, that sorts out files & stuff and makes it easier for your computer to reach thus increasing performence

Also like the other guy said do the disk cleanup.. make sure you dont have any viruses( DO not use a program like Norton anti virus it slows the pc down)

Try to keep your pc as clean as possible, I also recommended downloading a program called Ccleaner(stands for crap cleaner) it cleans out the temp files, internet cache.. when I first used this , it cleaned 500 mb of stuff( Alot)

And MRU BLaster.. hope this helps! Sorry im a nerd
  • Options
    When was the last time you formated?
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    When was the last time you formated?

I haven't formatted my PC in about 4 years, it still runs fine :p
  • Options
    Replicant wrote: »
    I haven't formatted my PC in about 4 years, it still runs fine :p

Your smart enough to make sure it does not run slow ;)
  • Options
    well, yeah hehe :)

my sister on the other hand, broke her laptop in half the time :lol:
  • Options

totally impossible to know why it's slow without seeing it in the flesh but I'd suggest you download TuneUp 2007 30 day demo, which in it's first run will clean a lot of junk from your PC and adjust some basic settings to et more out of your PC.

http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/
  • Options
    How much memory do you have? If you have 256mb then you may want to double that , or more.

If it starts up tediously slow, but otherwise works okay, you may want to examine which programs are starting up with the PC.

go to Start > Run > msconfig

Go to the Startup tab, and uncheck things you dont think you need (Be fairly careful not to uncheck something you do need though!). If you get rid of enough, it should speed things up. Also if you use norton, try uninstalling and replacing with something less resource intensive.

It might be an idea to do ctrl+alt+delete and look at the task manager, CPU usage should be between 2% and 15% when idle, if it's constantly at 80%+ then you'll have problems, sort the processes by CPU usage, then terminate the programs which have a high %.

If you haven't already, run a virus scan , and perhaps more importantly a spyware check (I recommend adaware from download.com)

If all else fails, back up your documents and files, find the recovery cd that came with the computer, and use it to reset the machine back to factory defaults!