Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

gromits / drainage device / deff as a door nail

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So im living in spain and my spanish is pretty much limited to insulting people at the moment. With my job i am required to pay for private medical insurance and so i thort that i would use it. I went to the hospital for an ear test as i had noticed that my hearing has been getting worse and worse recently although it hasnt been very good for a long time.

They did the ear test and told me that my hearing in my left ear is "substantially worse than that in my right ear and that i have a retracted ear drum". He than told me to come back in a week with a letter from my insurance company saying that they would cover him inserting a drainage device.

Whats he on about. I got the insurance company bit, its the rest.

is a drainage device a grommit?

help

Comments

• Options
    a grommet is a little tube placed in the eardrum to keep the passageway open. before fitting grommets you could check whether your adanoids are blocking the normal drainage from the Eustachian tube and also try antihistamines to reduce any swelling in the nose or tube.

grommets, I had these, didn't hurt as far as I remember, but I did have to not dunk my head under water til they were taken out.

It depends why you have a retracted ear drum though I guess, grommets are most commonly fitted for children with glue ear.
  • Options
    i had numerous grommits and then a t-tube (same principle as with a grommit but in the shape of a T). then after loads of operations and infections i was only left with 30% of my ear drum so i had a new one fitted! i would assume he means a grommet, yes. and i never had glue ear. :)
  • Options
    You can new ear drums fitted?!