Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sweet tooth - ideas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've given up chocolate for Lent. I am craving sweet things. Any ideas? I'm already eating quite a bit of fruit but it obviously doesn't fill the same space in my soul as chocolate!

And would rather avoid packets of sweets, doesn't seem much point in giving up chocs only to stuff myself with fruit pastilles and starburst type things.

There must be some sweet things that aren't TOO unhealthy...?

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I feel your pain PK, I've also given up choccie for lent - it aint easy!

I remember in another thread you mentioned you like frozen yoghurt - that's usually quite healthy isn't it? And there's lots of yummy flavours other than chocolate.

I'm a little addicted to the smoothie fruit lollies that seems to be on special everywhere at the moment.

I also got some yoghurt covered nuts and seeds from M&S the other day - they were pretty tasty and had raisins in too. They are good for picking at when you're at work and give you lots of energy. I'm sure there's loads more so I'll come back and post if I think of some :)
  • Options
    You guys are fucking crazy!
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    I also got some yoghurt covered nuts and seeds from M&S the other day - they were pretty tasty and had raisins in too.

You can get various yoghurt covered fruits at Holland and Barrett - my mate is obsessed with them, says the banana ones taste just like white chocolate. (I can't stick bananas so I can't confirm that one). She did get me to try a different one though (raisins maybe), and they were quite tasty.

I'd rather have a Crunchie any day like but I'm sure they might be useful if you're missing your chocolate - they were quite sweet :)

EDIT: My memory has shot back - she made me have the yoghurt covered pineapple. Quite nice, but veryyy sickly after a while.
  • Options
    I think Sweet Potato is a good thing to eat if you have a sweet tooth, it is healthy and easy to prepare.
  • Options
    quickly change your mind and give up something else instead.

Mr Brains crispy pork f*ggots for instance.
    Ive given those up for lent.
  • Options
    why am i not allowed to say that particular meat products name?

Surely its better to just remove offensive posts or something rather than ban a word which has more than one meaning
  • Options
    quickly change your mind and give up something else instead.

:lol:

Or give up giving up for Lent. That's what I've done, I'm not allowed to give anything up for the whole time ;)
  • Options
    Just do other things when you would normally eat chocolate.
    I used to eat something sweet after pretty much every meal it became routine. Now after eating a meal i'll get a big glass of water and just drink that. you'll be suprised how little you miss eating sweet stuff..
  • Options
    Sorry but a glass of water after a meal is not going to cure my sweet tooth!!

I'm going to have a look in the local health shop later..H and B is overpriced.

I don't eat pork so can hardly give up ******/sausage things.

I want to prove to myself that I can do this and also hopefully lose some weight.
  • Options
    carob?

Try carob....some brands are pretty stellar.

Or freeze a bag of grapes
    Sounds kinda random, but when you freeze em they
    become exceptionally sweet and solid like hard boiled lollies.

I couldn't hack giving up chocolate, so I just volunteered for Oxfam.
    Glad to see you're so motivated.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Gingerbread people (the PC version!)

We've eaten a tub of 35 (from Morrisons) between two of us in less than two working day! Ooops!
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote: »
    I don't eat pork so can hardly give up ******/sausage things.

I think that was the point! what about sugar free jelly, or custard (not sugar free, but it's good for the soul!)
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I think that was the point! what about sugar free jelly, or custard (not sugar free, but it's good for the soul!)
    I was going to suggest jelly too.
  • Options
    go ahead do really nice bars, the ones with yoghurt toppings. i like forest fruits the best. raisins? a medium sized box = one of your 5 a day too.
  • Options
    yoghurt raisins would be a good choccy substitute or rice crispy cakes made with golden syrup and marshmallows. :yum:

God I need to go and get some golden syrup and make some
  • Options
    or rice crispy cakes made with golden syrup and marshmallows. :yum:

Hmmm - I'm going to have to make some this weekend :yum:

Cheers SCC :thumb:
  • Options
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Hmmm - I'm going to have to make some this weekend :yum:

Cheers SCC :thumb:

I went out and got the stuff and made mine already :yum:
  • Options
    Root beef floats :yum:

And if you want to be healthy, even a light ice cream doesn't taste bad in it.
  • Options
    I've given up chocolate for Lent. I am craving sweet things. Any ideas? I'm already eating quite a bit of fruit but it obviously doesn't fill the same space in my soul as chocolate!

And would rather avoid packets of sweets, doesn't seem much point in giving up chocs only to stuff myself with fruit pastilles and starburst type things.

There must be some sweet things that aren't TOO unhealthy...?
    Yeah, I have a really sweet tooth as well so I know wht you are going through. For me, my alternative is jelly but I use loads of the stuff (like 3 packets) to make it extra sweet, put it in the fridge and there it is. I find it does curb my cravings for a while.
  • Options
    I found this recipe to be a good cure for sweet tooth. (It does have some sugar in but no chocolate)

LEMON SPONGE CAKE
    6 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    zest of 1 lemon
    1 cup flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325°F.
    Beat yolks of eggs until thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in the sugar, grated lemon rind, and juice. Fold in half of the stiffly beaten egg whites.
    Cut in sifted flour and salt, add nuts, and remaining egg whites.
    Bake in a slow oven for about one hour or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out nearly clean.

Good luck giving up! :)
  • Options
    Honey.
  • Options
    Tic tacs

Sugar free chewing gum

Sugar free / diet soft drinks e.g. diet coke, diet lemonade

Herbal teas

Fruit smoothies
  • Options
    I went out and got the stuff and made mine already :yum:

Made mine yesterday - they're yummy :heart:
  • Options
    chan-chan wrote: »
    Yeah, I have a really sweet tooth as well so I know wht you are going through. For me, my alternative is jelly but I use loads of the stuff (like 3 packets) to make it extra sweet, put it in the fridge and there it is. I find it does curb my cravings for a while.

doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose..
  • Options
    I am in same boat, I have had bad tooth for a while, they worse then my mums teeth and she is over 60. That didnt stop me tho what did stop me is the fact I have put on a lot of weight during the past 12 months, I have been skinny most of my life and in the space of a year I am now overweight so the rate of my weight increase worried me. As I am unable to do exercises that involve walking and generally been on my feet (some health issues) the only way I can get it down is change my diet which will involve less sweers and stuff. I still plan to do exercises but only on upper body.

Stuff that seems to be not as bad but still can fill the crave is yoghurts and fruits although I know you tried fruits.
  • Options
    pompy wrote: »
    As I am unable to do exercises that involve walking and generally been on my feet (some health issues) the only way I can get it down is change my diet which will involve less sweers and stuff. I still plan to do exercises but only on upper body.

I know this is nowt to do with this forum, and it might not be any help, but have you considered swimming? It's great exercise, you can go at your own pace, you're supported by the water, and if you have problems with your lower body, just get a couple of leg floats and work your arms instead.

Annnyway, original question and all, my suggestion is banana chips. They've generally got honey on, so sweeter than just eating a banana, and have a satisfyingly unhealthy-sounding crunch :yum:
  • Options
    Sorry but a glass of water after a meal is not going to cure my sweet tooth!!

Actually, after a while if you'll be surprised by how you just don't want things anymore.

Icey's suggestion sounds like the best if you want to cut down for more than just lent.
  • Options
    I'm sure I checked the sugar and fat contents in banana chips and they were so high that I may as well eat a bag of crisps. I have a weakness for things like Japanese rice crackers but they are also bad for you.

Today in the drawer at work I have apple crisps. Only 32 calories a bag. Not sure what they will be like but thought I would give them a go.
  • Options
    I'm sure I checked the sugar and fat contents in banana chips and they were so high that I may as well eat a bag of crisps.

You could. Crisps aren't sweet though :p