Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Possible Flatmate Fraud

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I have a bit of a problem with a flatmate. Three of us in total, lived in harmony on a shared agreement for the last 18 months. Each of us takes care of a bill (one sorts out the phone, one does electricity etc) with the other two paying to that flatmate their share, for them to pay the supplier etc.

Recently I was getting a bit suspicious that bills were being paid very late, well this quarters bill arrived the other day, and lets just say thanks to a rather bright light I saw that the bill was indeed overdue, and what the total amount was. So I confronted the “electricity” flatmate the other day and asked if the bill had been paid and what did I owe. So she first of all lied and said it had been paid (when it hadn’t) and then she told myself and my other flatmate what we each owed, which turned out between the two of us to be the total amount due, meaning she wasn’t paying a single penny!

Now we haven’t yet confronted her as I want to get some written proof in my hand, but I just wondered if anyone had any tips for what to do next? Is this Fraud? Can my landlord demand to see bills from the electricity company? Any help would be much appreciated…

Comments

• Options
    I don't know anything about tenanacy what so ever, but one way to help keeps things clear between yourselves might be to keep the bills somewhere shared, or at least see them before you hand over payment for your share. If you and the other flatmate do that with yours, 'This is the bill, this is your share' type thing, then you could reasonably ask to see the one that the other flatmate is responsible for.
  • Options
    Ouch!
  • Options
    the way I'd handle that would probably be to say "ouch that sounds a bit steep, let's see the bill" or something similar. If she hasn't been messing you about, then there's no problem showing the bill, no?

Whose name is on the bill?
  • Options
    Also it might be worth considering that she may not be doing this out of malice - she could be having trouble making ends meet and is too scared to say anything. She could have been trying to get the cash together (hence the late bill) and realised that she isn't going to in time (so asked you for the whole amount). Could be lots of factors. It's not great either way but it may not be just an attempt to rip you off.
  • Options
    It's her name on the bill.

I just would have thought there are better ways to make ends meet that lying to your flatmates about what they owe meaning you don't have to pay a penny yourself. She has also said that the bill has been paid.

We are just worried now, that we haven't really seen any bills in a few months now, she also deals with the water...

Luckily being self employed I need photocopies of all household bills for my book keeping, so I shall request to see everything...

The thing is, if I found out she has been fiddling the numbers, I don't really want to live with something that has been effectively stealing from me and my other flatmate... Its akward to say the least...
  • Options
    pickleface wrote: »

so for credit referencing purposes she would be the one in the red. rather than you.
  • Options
    BUT - living at the same address as somebody with a bad credit rating can also adversely affect YOU too.
  • Options
    oh yeah - good point - another reason to get mad lol...
  • Options
  • Options
    Not true, credit reference agencies no longer assume a financial association just because you live at the same address. The only reason soeone else would affect your credit rating is either because you have a joint account with them or there has been a case of mistaken identity (eg. someone with the same name in the same area as you).

Ah - I stand corrected. :) That used to be the case though.
  • Options
  • Options
    :) Yeah, they changed it a few years ago for exactly the reason proved in this thread! Makes it a lot easier now because if you lived in rented it was practically impossible to get a good credit score because of previous tenants.

Thats strange then. I've had credit refused (in only some places, I must admit, but still) because of my mum's credit rating. Admittedly we don't rent our home or anything, but I wouldn't think that would have mattered?
  • Options
    Now we haven’t yet confronted her as I want to get some written proof in my hand, but I just wondered if anyone had any tips for what to do next? Is this Fraud? Can my landlord demand to see bills from the electricity company? Any help would be much appreciated…

Perhaps it would be a good idea to suggest starting a shared "filing system" for your bills to her, especially if you will need them for your book keeping - just a little file somewhere that all the bills are kept in, so that anyone can have access to them at any time. This would also probably be useful if there was ever a problem with any of the companies/services and the flatmate who's name/details it was in wasn't about, as the bills will have the account details at hand.

As for the situation at hand, it's very much about how you want to deal with it. If this has been going on for a while, then you may feel you have a trust issue with this girl and feel the need to take the responsibility of these bills from her. Or she may have a genuine reason (not that I'm defending what she's done) for it, and you may be able to work through it together and come to a solution without anything becoming too stressful.

Just my limited help and thoughts :) Hope it all sorts itself out.
  • Options
  • Options
    The fact is just because she is the person who deals with this particular bill it doesn't mean that the rest of the household has less rights to see the billing evidence. If I were you I would get a folder for all of the bills to be filed away into and ask her to get the electricity bills to put into it. You can say that you want everything to be kept organised as you are self employed. If you and your other housemate do it, it probably won't look too suspicious! Also, I would never give anyone any money for something that I hadn't seen. If you aren't given the billing evidence, then you shouldn't give her any money.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

I just would have thought there are better ways to make ends meet that lying to your flatmates about what they owe meaning you don't have to pay a penny yourself. She has also said that the bill has been paid.

We are just worried now, that we haven't really seen any bills in a few months now, she also deals with the water...

Luckily being self employed I need photocopies of all household bills for my book keeping, so I shall request to see everything...

The thing is, if I found out she has been fiddling the numbers, I don't really want to live with something that has been effectively stealing from me and my other flatmate... Its akward to say the least...

I had a flatmate once who was in a similar position to your friend. She simply couldn't make ends meet and she ran away from the situation. We were, originally, pissed off with her, but eventually her dad got involved as he was concerned too. We realised what the situation was and tracked her down and discussed things properly and all got sorted.

Don't go into the situation all guns blazing, ready for an argument. Discuss it amicably, like adults, and try and solve it that way. Think that's the best way to go about it, tbh.
  • Options

Thanks for that :) I have no idea what happened there then, as I wasn't applying for credit in 2004. Ah well :)