Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

FAO Brits and British expats..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
You may or may not have seen this petition before. There is only ONE week left.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/

Please pass it on.

Comments

• Options
    Link doesn't work.

If its about the air tax I agree with the tax anyway:)
  • Options
    Something wrong with the link. I keep getting 'no input file selected' or something along those lines...
  • Options
    Link Fixed.
  • Options
    It's that road tax tracking stuff. Fully signing that, I've heard so much shit about it.
  • Options
    Done and done.
  • Options
    Signed!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Link doesn't work.

If its about the air tax I agree with the tax anyway:)
    Nah it's the pay as you go road tax. I'm against the entire policy of taxing people off the roads when there's often no viable alternative (which mainly effects poorer people in smaller towns with a lack of decent public transport and rail links). If they had adequate public transport then they might have a point, but they haven't got it in place. But let's face it, if it's not this, then it'll only be something else.

Still gonna sign it though.
  • Options
    Well I think they're thieving cunts
  • Options
    Don't like the idea of vehicles being tracked so wouldn't support this policy, but making roads more expensive is obviously a good idea, as long as it is targeted in an appropriate manner etc
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote: »
    Don't like the idea of vehicles being tracked so wouldn't support this policy, but making roads more expensive is obviously a good idea, as long as it is targeted in an appropriate manner etc
    Agreed.
  • Options

Define "appropriate manner".
  • Options
    I signed it about 20 minutes ago and I'm still waiting for the confirmation email.
  • Options

Definately... I don't trust the government with knowing where I'd been driving (not that anyone would ever let me drive), it's like 1984.

I think if roads should be taxed, public transport should be brought down to at least half of what it already is. My mate lives a bus journey away from university and pays £20 on buses a week (at least), she isn't hugely well off either (it's £2 fixed rate in London, went up from £1.50 in January, the thieving bar-stewards).

To get home, it costs me £40 return (that was before January, it may be more) and I have a railcard which gets me 30% off. I'm dreading turning 25 as I'll probably still be down South.

If the government wants to curb emissions, it has to greatly subsidise public transport, maybe even re-nationalise it again and put a huge amount extra on air tax.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I think if roads should be taxed, public transport should be brought down to at least half of what it already is.

It wouldn't help - certainly if you live in the country.

For me to get to work on Public Transport would take just over two hours, the bus runs every 30 mins and I'd need to change bus (or train) twice.

By car it takes 15 minutes, leaves when I want to and goes from door to door direct. That is the problem here and why road charging will make little difference to people in similar circumstances, other than to be an increase expense. I can't change my routine without it having significant impact on my life. Hell the nearest supermarket is 10 minutes (by car) away and don't get me started on trying to get a week's shopping home on public transport.

Fine if you live in a major town, public transport is good - I love the tibe and can't see why people complain about it. So convenient and frequent, but anywhere else? Forget it.
  • Options
    Public transport is fine for urban commuting and intercity lesiure travel, but for most other journeys it is useless. I am all for pricing people out of city centres- there are always good transport links in city centres- but for roads in general I am not. To get to my mother-in-law's house, should I want to go there, it would take me a week (there's one bus a week, on a Wednesday, and I've missed it), or I would be left with an eight-mile walk. Clearly public transport is not a viable alternative there.
  • Options
    Why why WHY! Is anyone getting worked up about road pricing?

Its physically impossible to do now even if they wanted to.

The government knows its a dire idea so arent going to do it.

They couldnt ever make it work even if the technology was there.

It would clearly cost more to run than it would take in.

Why is anyone other than Daily Mail readers upset by this?
  • Options
    Well, I don't think the fact it would cost more than it would generate in revenue would put the government off tbh....

I suppose if they got car manufacturers in on it to get them to put chips or whatever in all their new cars (by passing a law I suppose) then would it not at least be theoretically possible?

And I'm guessing you think this is all reactionary (re: Daily Mail comment)?
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Why why WHY! Is anyone getting worked up about road pricing?

Its physically impossible to do now even if they wanted to.

The government knows its a dire idea so arent going to do it.

They couldnt ever make it work even if the technology was there.

It would clearly cost more to run than it would take in.

Why is anyone other than Daily Mail readers upset by this?

Agree the Govt hasn't a very good record on large scale IT (though some of us live in hope), but it could just be charging for an individual city and whilst London hasn't been the most efficient way to raise a tax it does show it works and it can make revenue (albeit not a very large one).

As to why anyone other than Daily Mail readers are upset I suspect it because its not just Mail readers who drive cars.
  • Options
    As to why anyone other than Daily Mail readers are upset I suspect it because its not just Mail readers who drive cars.

Do you really think even this government would do this though?

They are thick, but even they know this is a massive vote looser.

Its a big fuss over nothing, it couldnt be done and even if it could the government wouldnt.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Do you really think even this government would do this though?

They are thick, but even they know this is a massive vote looser.

Its a big fuss over nothing, it couldnt be done and even if it could the government wouldnt.

So was the Poll Tax. Government's do the strangest things.
  • Options
    It wouldn't help - certainly if you live in the country.

For me to get to work on Public Transport would take just over two hours, the bus runs every 30 mins and I'd need to change bus (or train) twice.

By car it takes 15 minutes, leaves when I want to and goes from door to door direct. That is the problem here and why road charging will make little difference to people in similar circumstances, other than to be an increase expense. I can't change my routine without it having significant impact on my life. Hell the nearest supermarket is 10 minutes (by car) away and don't get me started on trying to get a week's shopping home on public transport.

Fine if you live in a major town, public transport is good - I love the tibe and can't see why people complain about it. So convenient and frequent, but anywhere else? Forget it.

Hey, I grew up on the side of a mountain, I know!

Sorry, I should have added that. maybe people should be subsidised according to postal code... Fuel vouchers or something.
  • Options
    they know where you drive anyway thats what the road cctv system is for