Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Child Beauty Pagents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was watching Little Miss Sunshine last night (which I recommend you all watch and participate in this months Film Club discussion in Entertainment), and I was thinking, actually, does anyone else not find these things a little creepy? I mean you've got little girls essentially made up to look a lot older than they are, with full makeup, spraytans and revealing clothes. I remember watching something about Miss Teen America a while ago, and I found it a bit disturbing that they had a swimsuit competition. Now I'm all for that in an adult equivalent, but let me tell you that "teen" didn't seem to be referring to girls between 16 and 19. I was wondering what everyone elses opinions of them were, bearing in mind that things like talent competitions already exist where the kids could do that particular section of the pagent and still have all the same enjoyment out of it?

Comments

• Options
    Creeps the hell out of me.
  • Options
    I find them incredibly disturbing, and I don't know anyone who doesn't!

Most of the stuff I know about them is definitely coloured in a hugely negative light -- as it is all from the publicity and coverage of pre-teen beauty paegants that was in the media when that wee girl JonBenét Ramsey was murdered. I remember seeing clip after clip of her and her fellow contestants winking and pouting at the old, largely male judges and being coached to wiggle their hips and stick out their "chests" and other tricks of the trade that seemed so dreadfully, dreadfully wrong. That's without even mentioning that they have their hair dyed, body hair shaved/waxed/lasered off, are put on diets, forced to practise their routines when they are loudly and (naturally) childishly voicing their preference to watch Spongebob Squarepants or similar.

There is simply no denying that it is vicarious wish fulfillment on behalf of the parents, and I think that is just inexcusable. Of course people in favour of the paegants come back with the argument that the girls like it, and maybe they do like the praise and adulation they (possibly) receive from the judges as they're probably being constantly scolded and told they're not up to scratch at home -- especially if they don't come home with the elaborate crown and Pottery Barn vouchers. Of course it is important for children to learn that there are competitive elements to life, and that it's not always going to be "the taking part" that counts. But they shouldn't be learning that in the context of a contrived contest based on who can twirl a baton the best and who can best flutter their mink fur eyelashes at a panel of old men. Talk about putting your daughter's foot on the first rung of the worst possible ladder.

Oh yeah, and I can never help but think that they will all end up like this:

dvd-babyjane.jpg

With their best achievements having been between the ages of 5 and 12, and then blazing a hasty trail into soccer mom, pill popping-nirvana or insanity (a la Baby Jane :razz:)
  • Options
    I think the "win at all costs" parents are probably the thing that's usually exaggerated. I imagine that particular aspect is no worth than any other extra-curricular activity. But yeah, that doesn't mean that I think it's a particularly healthy thing for a kid to be doing.
  • Options
    Seems crazy to me and horribly contrived. Generalising of course but the parents always seem to be complete loons.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    Oh yeah, and I can never help but think that they will all end up like this:

dvd-babyjane.jpg

With their best achievements having been between the ages of 5 and 12, and then blazing a hasty trail into soccer mom, pill popping-nirvana or insanity (a la Baby Jane :razz:)

Does she stick her hand up her arse to get her to talk?

ETA: At least she looks vaguely like a child. Nowadays they seem to just be miniature versions of the proper beauty queens.
  • Options
    I think the "win at all costs" parents are probably the thing that's usually exaggerated. I imagine that particular aspect is no worth than any other extra-curricular activity.

I don't know about that, obviously our attention is drawn to the extreme cases but still...

It's a completely extra-curricular activity, not like sports (which is also high competitive by all accounts and can be littered with stage/pitch/field-parents) and is something that they are seriously in to win. When you consider the amount of time they spend practising their routines and doing their children up to look like a doll then it becomes a pretty involved process which I don't think they do purely for the fun of it. That's not even going into the huge expense some of the parents seemingly go to, hiring bloody talent/walking/speech coaches and travelling all over the shop to compete.
  • Options
    Does she stick her hand up her arse to get her to talk?

ETA: At least she looks vaguely like a child. Nowadays they seem to just be miniature versions of the proper beauty queens.

Haven't you seen the film? If not, you should! It's not about a beauty queen as such, just a child performer who can't let go of her past success (and present abject failure). Well, there's a lot more to it than that of course. The doll is a doll of herself that used to be sold when she was famous, how sad ;)

"I've written a letter to Daddy..."
  • Options
    I get what you mean. It's all about the competition. Whereas you teach a kid to play the piano because you want them to be able to play an instrument, and a music competition might be a goal to learn towards or an optional extra.

Incidentally, I remember a documentary film that came out about this not too long ago. Can anyone remind me what it was called?
  • Options
    How can anyone think that this is right?

JonBenet_Ramsey.jpg
  • Options
    Fucking hell. Just Googled Little Miss America as an image search. I didn't click on any of them though in case the police would come round for my computer.
  • Options
    Tell me about it, I eneded up searching for Benet because I figured it was the only safe option after seeing some of the images that came up. *shudders*
  • Options
    How can anyone think that this is right?

JonBenet_Ramsey.jpg
    No it's very wrong. And in the case of that particular child, some very sinister shit went on there...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm against such things, either it's for adults or for children.
  • Options
    i think it's awful...little children made up to look like little adults, it's sick

sure all kids love to dress up and wear make up, but geez, let them do it in their own home, where they are safe and where it's about having fun, not winning a sick competition!
  • Options
    i think it's wrong - it teaches them from a young age that to be sucessful you must look like a barbie doll. Just let them be kids.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    i think it's wrong - it teaches them from a young age that to be sucessful you must look like a barbie doll. Just let them be kids.
    I totally agree.
  • Options
    I find this wrong, sick & disturbing. Fair enough, if they want to dress up and wear make up, then let them but don't make them part in competitions like this.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I find this wrong, sick & disturbing. Fair enough, if they want to dress up and wear make up, then let them but don't make them part in competitions like this.

Exactly..

I would love to hear from someone that actually supports it or a parent whos kids are in it - I really would like to know what the justification is.
  • Options
    Exactly..

I would love to hear from someone that actually supports it or a parent whos kids are in it - I really would like to know what the justification is.

I would like this as well.
  • Options
    i suppose they don't see it as any different from a dance competition or a football match - but they actually involve talent. I fail to see talent in a 6 year old whos caked to the eyeballs in makeup, sprayed orange and wears a pink cowboy hat.
  • Options
    i suppose they don't see it as any different from a dance competition or a football match - but they actually involve talent. I fail to see talent in a 6 year old whos caked to the eyeballs in makeup, sprayed orange and wears a pink cowboy hat.

Indeed. But with stuff like football & dancing, it's not just a case of standing there looking pretty to win the competition.
  • Options
    "This event is like the super bowel of child beauty pageants. This particular event is so large that to have enough room for everyone they had to host it in one of the parents' personal emptiness."
  • Options
    "This event is like the super bowel of child beauty pageants. This particular event is so large that to have enough room for everyone they had to host it in one of the parents' personal emptiness."

:lol:
  • Options
  • Options
    I watched a documentary on child beauty pageants a good few years ago and one of the little girls featured had had all of her natural milk teeth pulled out and dentures fitted to improve the appearance of her smile.

What chance does that kid have? She was 7.
    I saw that and I couldn't believe what I was seeing/hearing.
  • Options
    I watched a documentary on child beauty pageants a good few years ago and one of the little girls featured had had all of her natural milk teeth pulled out and dentures fitted to improve the appearance of her smile.

What chance does that kid have? She was 7.

wtf? i'm suprised a dentist actually did that
  • Options

I agree, as others have said, let them play dress-up at home for a bit of fun as kids to, but doing for it for gain just seems unnatural for me. Many of them dont want to do it anyway, the seem to be doing it because of their pushy parents.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    No it's very wrong. And in the case of that particular child, some very sinister shit went on there...

I'm still not convinced of her parents innocence, y'know.
  • Options
    No me neither. I can't remember the full details any more but I read an article on the case and it was almost like a (sick) Agatha Christie novel. A lot of relatives and friends and of course the parents were up to funny business.
  • Options

Well to be fair, if you're going to see any good in these paegants then it's that they get an incredibly tenacious (and scary, in my view) "work" ethic.

Also, a lot of them are talented singers, dancers... well, to use an all-encompassing word - performers... from the little footage of them I've seen, but then most young children could learn and perfect these skills to the same degree if the same amount of time and effort was put in. It could - of course - be exercised in a much healthier way and environment but if we had to pinpoint a silver lining then that'd be it. Obviously, that little "good" is far outweighed by the bad.