Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Surely I'm missing something...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, apologies if these bangs on a bit I don't really know where to start...

My mum suffers with pretty bad MS and this means that my dad has to sty at home and look after her so he cannot work.

We are claiming the disability benefits and carers allowance (which at about £40 a week is an absolute joke). My dad was claiming working tax credits at about £70 a week but was told that if he claimed income support then we would get help paying the mortgage.

So the money we are now receiving is £17 a week only the mortgage isn't being paid as they won't do that for 26 weeks.

Basically we thought the situation couldn't get any worse but it really has. Our outgoings weren't being covered by our incomings before and now they are definitely not. It's not even like we are living the high life, basic food shopping is our only luxury! After the mortgage, life insurances and bills are paid there is absolutely nothing left.

I'm working and I help out as much as I can but, this probably sounds selfish, I'm 21 and I would like to have a little bit of money for myself an start saving some.

I just feel like there is something we are missing, would anyone have any idea what?

Sorry if this sounds rather self-pitying, it's just awful to see my parents go through it all.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Options
    The only one I can think of is some sort of council tax benefit/reduction. Best thing to do is make an appointment with the Citizens advice Bureu, they will quite easily check if you entitled to any extra support.

And carers allowance is a complete and utter joke, but thats not for here.
  • Options
    Thanks, I think they were the ones that originally suggested the income support idea but they might be worth another shot. I really would like to go down myself as, by his own admission, my dad can't really make sense of it all, it's just finding the time especially as I'm working and such like.

Thank you for your suggestion though.
  • Options
    Another place to try asking would be whoever looks after your mum on the medical front. They may have some ideas as to who to ask about what help you can get.
  • Options
    You could ask an MS support charity. Macmillian are doing a campaign at the moment to raise awareness that 1in17 people who suffer from cancer lose their homes. So maybe one the MS charities knows more about what kind of help you can get.
  • Options