Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anti depressants: more harm than good?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have read a load of post about anti depressants, and the side effects that come with them.

Just wanted to know, in your opinon have anti depressants done you more harm than good ?

Im going to speak with a doctor soon, but just wanted to know from people who use them.

Im kind of worried that anti depressants are going to do me more harm than good. Am i worrying to much about the negatives? there must be some positive stories of people taking anti depressants and feeling better.

Be good to hear your experiences, I really want to do whats best for me.

Cheers

:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    The combination of anti-depressants and therapy saved my life. But anti-depressants by no means made me feel better, they just stabilised me at a level where I could function normally and get the help that I needed. CBT played a much larger role in my recovery.
  • Options
    Can i ask, are you still on anti depressants?

What is CBT ?? sorry :)
  • Options
    Hi there, I can only speak in praise of antidepressants.
    Ok, so it took several changes in medication before I found the one that worked best, but when I did it was excellent - alsmot unbelieveable.

I know of some people who were made to feel slightly worse for a short time but they have all benefitted.

However the last person spoke the truth in that pills alone won't rectify the issue, but they can give you a break from yourself.

Obviously speak to a gp but please do not be afraid to go on some medication. Fighting depression without out it is a formidable task that no one should be expected to do alone and unaided.
    Hope that helps and good luck;)
  • Options
    Prozac saved my life, intensive psychotherapy fixed it and made it livable again.

They aren't for everyone, though, and the medicine behind them is a bit hit-and-miss.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

What is CBT ?? sorry :)

Cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) teaches you to question negative thoughts while developing a more realistic outlook on life.
    From one of the articles on the site about depression.
  • Options
    My mum and sister both suffer with clinical and manic depression (as well as ADHD) and are both on anti-depressants permanently. I can see the difference in both of them, and can therefore only praise AD.
    If you need them, they can help.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) teaches you to question negative thoughts while developing a more realistic outlook on life.
    From one of the articles on the site about depression.

why didn't that click? I've just been doing about the behaviour models and treatments in psychology :blush:
  • Options
    They can help a hell of a lot, I have both family and close friends on them. The difference in my Dad in a small space of time was worth it. I havent taken the personally, and I do think they need to be combined with some sort of counselling/threapy in a lot of cases.
  • Options
    The only bad side effects I've had is when I've forgotten them for a while and the withdrawl symptoms, or when I get used to the dosage I'm at or when the dosage is too high. I've been on several different ones over for over a decade and they help. I take them for depression and anxiety. But like Go away says, it helps with the combination of therapy. I used to think it did nothing but over the years I learned so much and have changed so much. The pills now just keep down the physical symptoms.
  • Options
    helped.
  • Options
    The counselling was more useful to me, I haven't really given the AD's long enough yet.
  • Options
    Thats made me feel better now, all i ever heard was negative stories of AD's.

Has anyone been able to come of AD's sucessfuly after so long, or would i be on them for life?

• Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Thats made me feel better now, all i ever heard was negative stories of AD's.

Has anyone been able to come of AD's sucessfuly after so long, or would i be on them for life?

My sister was on them for about 2 or 3 years. She's been off them for almost a year now I think.
  • Options
    Ive been on them for almost 3 years now, they do work but you have to be able to talk to someone and vent sometimes too, from my experience both councelling and AD worked for me but i guess its different for everyone.
  • Options
    They don't work for everyone, and I do think that certain ADs definitely did me more harm than good, but if you pretty severely depressed then I think they have got to be worth a go.

Don't think I could recommend them to anyone for milder depression, although I guess there is something to be said for the power of suggestion.

I was on a variety over a period of 5 years, and have been totally off them for about 4 years
  • Options

No, I came off them when I was ready with the support of my doctor a few months ago. I had been on them for 2.5 years.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    They don't work for everyone, and I do think that certain ADs definitely did me more harm than good, but if you pretty severely depressed then I think they have got to be worth a go.

Don't think I could recommend them to anyone for milder depression, although I guess there is something to be said for the power of suggestion.

i agree :yes:

i was put on prozac because of major depression. it's been around 3 years and i doubt i would be alive without having taken them. obviously i hope to come off them in the not too distant future.

i think kaff is right in that ad's are best suited for people with more serious forms of depression, because in that situation anything should be tried, but for mild depression good old talking therapy is the best bet i think :)