Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Imperial/Metric on BBC News

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    British Imperial isn't the same as american imperial either if I remember rightly.
    Yep. When an American claims they were wasted after "10 pints" you know they're really a wuss.

I agree, get rid of imperial. I mean if shops want to still display it, then let them, but for stuff like road signs and anything official, I don't see why they're keeping it. Most things are already metric anyway. I get 100 pennies to the pound. I pay 90p a litre for petrol (summat like that anyway). I buy a 300ml bottle of beer, and a 35ml shot of vodka. And it's not as if Brits have trouble ordering draught beer in countries that use the metric system. In fact, they seem to be quite apt at it. If I go in for a sports competition, I tell them my weight in kilos. Let's face it, any maths problem that anyone has to do would always be quicker if the person was given metric data rather than imperial, even for someone who learned imperial rather than metric. So yeah, get rid of imperial. In fact, I think there's more pissing about having two systems, rather than just sticking with one, whichever you chose.
  • Options
    but for stuff like road signs and anything official, I don't see why they're keeping it.

Because every British driver is used to distance being displayed in miles and speed in mph. There's no widespread demand for any change to the status quo. And many cars do not have km/h on the speedo. The costs of changing every road sign would also be enormous. And unless every road sign is changed at the same time there would be an incredibly confusing transition period with road signs in metric and imperial. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Most things are already metric anyway. I get 100 pennies to the pound. I pay 90p a litre for petrol (summat like that anyway). I buy a 300ml bottle of beer, and a 35ml shot of vodka.

Fascinating. Most things are metric. Beer in a pub isn't. So what?
    And it's not as if Brits have trouble ordering draught beer in countries that use the metric system. In fact, they seem to be quite apt at it.

So? I don't have any trouble ordering draught beer in Britain where we use imperial. Whoopee I can also order a half litre stein in Munich. It's hardly difficult - it's also hardly a convincing reason to change.
    If I go in for a sports competition, I tell them my weight in kilos.

Good for you. I don't. I think weight is probably one of the few things where even young people mostly weigh themselves in stone.
    Let's face it, any maths problem that anyone has to do would always be quicker if the person was given metric data rather than imperial, even for someone who learned imperial rather than metric.

And maths problems have very little impact on me wanting to order a pint.
    So yeah, get rid of imperial.

Since it's something that affects everybody on a day to day basis a referendum would surely be the fairest way to decide whether we should 'get rid of imperial.' And we all know that few would vote to do that. (We also all know that a half litre of beer or milk would be no cheaper than a pint...) Already actually at the supermarket milk is sold in metric and imperial, unsurprisingly the 2 litre bottles (which looks like 4 pints but is less) costs the same as the 4 pinter.
  • Options
    Rant
    God, you really take things too seriously sometimes. But okay, I'll bite. You basically demonstrated that the units that things come in don't matter one bit to the huge majority of people. Most people don't give a shit whether they buy their beer in pints or litres. So why not actually base a decision on the opinions of those that it does matter to? Those people who have the odd little extra job in their working day caused by having two systems. Let's face it, it would be crazy if you worked on a building site for you to measure something in imperial, if you were going to order it in metric. But I'm sure there are plenty of examples in other industries where this has to be the case. Just taking a couple of examples from my workplace, we order Pepsi in litres and sell it in pints. We sell cocktails with 50ml of spirits, and juice out of a 2 litre carton, to sell in a 12oz glass. It's not the fucking end of the world, but it makes things ever so slightly less productive. Any sort of computer system to record such measurements has to take the two systems into account which adds extra time to the job. And I'm sure that in something bigger than a pokey little restaurant, you've got the same problems multiplied. Like I say, it's not a huge problem, but a bit of an inconvenience that could be avoided by changing to a single system, leaving the vast vast majority of people (like you said) not really giving a shit.

Oh and I have to call bullshit on your statement that "many" cars don't have kph on the speedo. Personally I've never seen one that doesn't.
  • Options
    And many cars do not have km/h on the speedo. .

Absolute rubbish.
  • Options
    The cost of converting British roads to kilometres would run into billions, and it would be utterly wasted money. Everything else could be changed, but there's no point changing just for the sake of it.

It's hardly something to whinge about, and the BBC were accurately reporting what happened (for once). I'll slag the corrupt and incompetent BBC off any time of day, but criticising them for that is daft.
  • Options
    Well when they change everything to variable speed limits and electric signs, then they can do it. It'll cost nothing and it'll be done in an instant. But yeah, in the meantime, a bit of a waste of money. But I'd think that'd appeal to this government.
  • Options
    Nah, this Government's only up for a waste of money if it involves creating the Big Brother state.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish.

My mates VW Beetle doesn't.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    It's hardly something to whinge about, and the BBC were accurately reporting what happened (for once). I'll slag the corrupt and incompetent BBC off any time of day, but criticising them for that is daft.

Ditto. I did correct myself - it wasn't the BBC's fault this time, although it would have been nice of them to put conversions in brackets or something.
  • Options

How old is it?
  • Options
    The overwhelming majority of cars and motorbikes will have the speedometer in MPH and KPH. I have never seen are car without it, and it's more than fair to assume that if a car has it then the entire range will be built the same way.

So you thought of one example? So what?
  • Options

That's "many cars" is it?