Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Baby's body temp

I was wondering if u could give me some advice, basically, a friend of mine had a baby on thursday and the baby is currently on a drip as she is unable to regulate her body temperature. I don't know all the facts but was just abit concerned, is this reasonably normal for a new born and nothing to worry about?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Babies aren't able to regulate thier own temperature. James was born cold and had to be put in cot with lid on. I'm sure once the babys temp gets to normal it will be able to go home.
  • Options
    Yeah, babies don't have the same control which is why you bundle them up more.
  • Options
    Babies cannot shiver or sweat, so it is vital their environment is at the right temperature, wearing sufficient clothes, or not if it is hot etc
  • Options
    was the baby a bit early maybe?

A drip would be for fluids or antibiotics rather than to regualte temperature. Would be more likely to have the incubator or at least glass cot for the regulating temperature thing, although no baby can regulate temp in the same way that an older child can.
  • Options
    nah she was born the night before due date, so not premature. she's on antibiotics at the moment, but last i was told they're concerned it might b meningitis..
  • Options
    :(
    I hope shes alright.
    Let us know!!
  • Options
    just heard they've had the all clear and are going home today! :) invited me round, so gutted because i went and caught a cold yesterday! :(
  • Options
    oh brilliant news. Im glad shes ok!!