Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Prank calls

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What's the best way to deal with people pranking you on withheld?

I am 90% sure who it is, but they keep on hanging up after a few seconds.

I have a nifty sports whistle, my friend says to blow it really hard in to the phone. Will that work?

Comments

• Options
    Oooh I think the whistle is a great idea!! Teach them not to call again!!
  • Options
    You could do that, but a girl from my work got that done to her and she was off work for six months through deafness. Well, it was probably more to do with lazyness, but still.

I'd just ignore it, they'll get bored soon enough.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    You could do that, but a girl from my work got that done to her and she was off work for six months through deafness. Well, it was probably more to do with lazyness, but still.

Oh... Don't want to hurt them THAT bad. :no:

It's not a mountain whsitle tho, just one I picked up on a march..
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Don't answer it, as Bri said they'll get bored quickly.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Is it on a mobile? If so I'd say just don't answer withheld numbers.
  • Options
    Well, that probably fits the topic very losely, but I was wondering if I was looking for music on limewire why EVERY SINGLE search result for any kind of band has "Bill Gates gets an hilarious prank call."

the the fuck downloads that crap?
  • Options
    Miffy wrote: »
    Is it on a mobile? If so I'd say just don't answer withheld numbers.

Hrm... But my parents phone off withheld, as do work and university.

What kind of wierdo does this? I don't know any children with my number so it must be an adult.
  • Options

I have a nifty sports whistle, my friend says to blow it really hard in to the phone. Will that work?

haha... the police withhelds the number as well. Would be cool if you whistle in the cell very loudly and shout, STOP IT YOU CUNT.

"ummm, ma'am? this is the local police department..."

just call your phone company, they know who it is even if they are on withheld and they probably help you solve it if it's an annoyance to you. if they are uncooperative just say you gonna change numbers and mobile provider as well.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    haha... the police withhelds the number as well. Would be cool if you whistle in the cell very loudly and shout, STOP IT YOU CUNT.

"ummm, ma'am? this is the local police department..."

just call your phone company, they know who it is even if they are on withheld and they probably help you solve it if it's an annoyance to you. if they are uncooperative just say you gonna change numbers and mobile provider as well.

So if I call Orange, they can find out who it is and give me their number, or block them?
  • Options
    So if I call Orange, they can find out who it is and give me their number, or block them?

probably block them. I am not sure if they give out the number (dunno about the legal stuff), but if it's an annoyance (and such things as prank call ARE punishable), you sure can sort it out with your mobile company.
  • Options
    Should do. You may have to take a call journal for a week so they can track it though
  • Options

No, but they'll take a note of the calls you've been getting and advise you what to do further. I think if it went on for ages and ages then they're obliged to give you a free number change.

Keep a note of the time of the calls though, incase it DOES go on for ages.
  • Options
    No, but they'll take a note of the calls you've been getting and advise you what to do further. I think if it went on for ages and ages then they're obliged to give you a free number change.

Keep a note of the time of the calls though, incase it DOES go on for ages.
    I will... got a feeling it's the same person who kept sending me horrible myspace messages accusing me of stuff (she doesn't know me, or where I live thank god... I just -was- friends with her bf). He knows where I live tho and may have given her my number.
  • Options
    Phone company will pretty much not block the user, and under data protection act not be allowed to give the number out

just go to the police, I think that would teach them to be immature
  • Options
    I have pranked a few deserving people in my time and the only way I stopped was when I got bored
  • Options

Ill do the whistle thing - i have done it before when my mum used to get prank calls a few years ago and it seemed to do the trick.
  • Options
    you can deafen someone by blowing a whistle down the phone ? :chin: interesting!

as for the calls.. if you're 90% sure of who it is go him em a good dig in the head :yes:
  • Options

All the more reason to do it. They wanna play silly buggers then expect to pay the price.
  • Options
    Have talked to student support and he says that it's harassment and I should go to the police. It's a possibility that if it is who it most likely is, she's trying to intimidate me.

I'm leaving it until Friday and if they don't give up (btw I'm not always answering now, did once by accident and there was a loud buzzing noise) then I'm going to the police. Maybe they can block the number.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Have talked to student support and he says that it's harassment and I should go to the police. It's a possibility that if it is who it most likely is, she's trying to intimidate me.

I'm leaving it until Friday and if they don't give up (btw I'm not always answering now, did once by accident and there was a loud buzzing noise) then I'm going to the police. Maybe they can block the number.
    keep a diary if you're gona go to the police
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    keep a diary if you're gona go to the police

I am doing.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    IF you have an idea who it is, find thier number. And PM it to me ;D

But yeah, don't answer on withheld (although the police phone you with withheld) and they'll give up soon enough.

Or just hold down * when they answer, it makes a FUN NOISE!!! Worked best on the 3310's though. Or Death Metal ROAAAAARRRRRR down the phone.
  • Options
    aye gerbys got it right id be diggin out the fuckers number and flinging some harrassment straight back at em
  • Options
    Scary prank calls

.i wanted to make my own thread about this but you beat me to it
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    aye gerbys got it right id be diggin out the fuckers number and flinging some harrassment straight back at em

No... I don't want revenge, I don't want to hurt this person, I'm not like that in the slightest. if it is the woman then she's said some pretty horrible things to me... But isn't that proof she's suffering enough already?

I don't like to make anyone or anything suffer, or unhappy. It sounds weird, but it'sjust me.
  • Options
    Next time it happens grab the phone and start screaming for help and get a friend there and make it sound as though you are being attacked. chances are they will stay on the line, listen and maybe start to panic and try to talk to you. You'll know for sure who it is then...bu then you have the problem of the boy who cried wolf.
  • Options
    Deafen the cunt.
  • Options
    omg you said cunt
  • Options
    omg you said cunt

:shocking:
  • Options