Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Renting A Room

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I need to find somewhere to live next year. Do you think I am better off doing it through my university? Not really sure how to go about it...Btw not looking for halls. Looking to move out of them.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Fairy wrote: »
    I need to find somewhere to live next year. Do you think I am better off doing it through my university? Not really sure how to go about it...Btw not looking for halls. Looking to move out of them.

Your uni may have a list of rooms to rent. Or just look yourself, in the back of the newspaper, or in shop windows, or go through an agency (if you want to pay a fee). Do you want a house share or flat to yourself?
  • Options
    Depends on whether you go private or headed tenancy (which is where the uni sublets from private owners). Tbh, wanna go HT next uni year.

Our headed tenancy.

The university houses are quite nice and the money goes out in installment
    like in halls. I guess it's especially better if you aren't good at managing money, or just don't want the hassle of sorting out cheques once a month.

Basically, there are always adverts on the uni websites and posters up asking for housemates or advertising places.

have you picked who you wanna live with yet?
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote: »
    Your uni may have a list of rooms to rent. Or just look yourself, in the back of the newspaper, or in shop windows, or go through an agency (if you want to pay a fee). Do you want a house share or flat to yourself?

Argh no don't want to pay an extra fee...A house share. Btw like your avatar, wicked film! :)
  • Options
    Depends on whether you go private or headed tenancy (which is where the uni sublets from private owners). Tbh, wanna go HT next uni year.

Our headed tenancy.

The university houses are quite nice and the money goes out in installment
    like in halls. I guess it's especially better if you aren't good at managing money, or just don't want the hassle of sorting out cheques once a month.

Basically, there are always adverts on the uni websites and posters up asking for housemates or advertising places.

have you picked who you wanna live with yet?

Cheers...yeah guess I will have to look around the uni for posters and on the website for spaces. People on my course I reckon are already in housing situations. Otherwise worse comes to worse I will commute from home again.
  • Options
    Yea, I was just thinking about making the same thread. Most people have grouped together into friendship groups and got a house under those terms, but I didn't really have any close-knit (or even vague aquaintences) to do that with, so don't know where to look now!!

Hmmph.
  • Options
    Normally Universities have systems of accredition for landlords whereby good ones are recommended and bad ones aren't.

Also, most unis publish lists of available property or have some kind of website where free rooms are advertised etc.

If you have any questions, I'm sure the Union Accomodation Office can help you.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Yea, I was just thinking about making the same thread. Most people have grouped together into friendship groups and got a house under those terms, but I didn't really have any close-knit (or even vague aquaintences) to do that with, so don't know where to look now!!

Hmmph.

I have just transfered into second year of a new uni so people are already living in houses from my year. Could be good to live with randomers. Guess it could go either way though. I am not one to hang out in a particular group, prefer to drift around which doesnt help much either.
  • Options
    Have you tried an online website looking for housemates? Leeds has one called Unipol, i dont know about the rest of the country, but it's really good and has a message board for people looking for housemates.