Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Slow torrents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am a new user of torrent technology. I tried BitTorrent but it disabled my Limewire for some reason so am using Azureus now.

I use a wireless connection at home which seems fine for everything else but is so sloooooow for Azureus. I am trying to download a 3.7Gb file and after leaving my PC on for around 36 hours, it still hasn't finished downloading. :no:

Is this to be expected? :blush:

Or does anyone have any ideas on getting a quicker dowload rate? :thumb:

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    What speed are you downloading at?

You don't normally get great speeds. The best thing to do with torrent is have more than one running concurrently. I mean I normally download (at home) at around 20kb/s on a semi-private torrent place, so it would all depend. :chin:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Have you opened the ports, I take it? You should have, heheh.

This: http://www.portforward.com/
  • Options
    Also, you will have to limit the upload speed. Otherwise Azureus will max it out causing the download to run slowly. You'll probably notice that surfing the net is slow too, even though you're barely downloading.

You will have to find out what your upload speed is though. Leave about 5kb/s free and you should be ok. It will limit your download speed, but it should still be a lot faster than it is now.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Or maybe there is an inadequate amount of peers ????? There could be limited seeders or its down to the configuration of the torrent client.
  • Options
    public torrent trackers can be slow as buggery. im on a 2mb line and usually do anything from 2k/s to 50k/s, bit of a pain as i usually download anything from 4.7gig to 8.5gig files.

Private torrents however i get anything up to 200k/s which is a lot better. maybe try that route.
  • Options
    Oooh! You've all given me something to think about .. thank you! :thumb: