Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Weddings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are you married?

If so, can you take a second to answer some questions for me, please?

Where did you get married?
What kind of 'reception' and 'evening party' did you have? (if any!) How many guests did you invite to each?
How much did it cost, overall?
What was the best bit of the day? And the worst?

Comments

• Options
    Where did you get married? - I got married here - in the Great Hall.

What kind of 'reception' and 'evening party' did you have? (if any!) How many guests did you invite to each? - We had an all in party with everything at the same place - so we had a ceremony in the hall - followed by cocktails & canape's in another part of the building and then back into the hall for a sit down dinner - We had about 100 people to that part of the day - then to the evening I think we invited around another 40 people - and had more drinks and dancing down stairs until midnight. Then we had an after party in the hotel next door where lots of us were staying. It was december so it was dark when I got married and we had fairy lights all over the hall and on the tables as part of the flower displays!

How much did it cost, overall? - Lots and lots - i think more than I earn in a year - but I have been to equally nice wedding's that have cost much less than mine did and similarly weddings that have been even more expensive and extravegant that were pretty similary to the less expensive ones. I think as long as you have the essential wedding ingredients of food, a cheesy disco and pleanty of drink then you can pretty much hold them anywhere. But if you are going to make peole pay for their drinks - do tell them in advance - i've been caught out twice at weddings where you had to pay for drinks and I only had the money for my taxi home and the bar's didnt' take credit cards.

What was the best bit of the day? - I don't know the whole day was pretty amazing! And the worst? - there wern't any major problems - though my mother still goes on to this day about how I hadn't given anyone the job of collecting presents - however I think the worst thing was it didnt' last anywhere near long enough.
  • Options
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    What was the best bit of the day? And the worst?

Having to sue the wedding photographer afterwards:(
  • Options
  • Options
    Aye, well that wasn't anything to do with the actual wedding though. The wedding was perfect.

Are you and Kermit married?
  • Options
    they are yes. :)
  • Options
    Aww, I never knew that :heart:
  • Options
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    :yes:

Found the diary.
    reading that has made me want to get married :D

What happened with the photographer?
  • Options
    I read it all :D sounded lovely and nearly brought a tear to my eye :p
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote:
    What happened with the photographer?

Where to start.

The pictures she took were quite poor.
    She didn't take that many pictures.
    She then took nearly a year to prepare the wedding album, coming up with lies every time we chased her/
    She didn't finish the album.
    We had to hire another photographer to fix the mess she'd made.
    She refused to answer our letters for a refund.
    She refused to answer my solicitor's letters.
    She refused to answer the CCJ obtained against her, as she didn't provide the service we paid a grand for.
    She refused to answer the Charging Order than we obtained against her house because she didn't pay up on the CCJ.

We're going to have to get the bailiffs in now to pay us what she owed. I'm not too worried, she's added £300 to her debt by refusing to answer us, and our debt is secured against her house (the Debt Recovery team at work have been fantastic). But it'd be nice to get our money back and an apology.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Where to start.

The pictures she took were quite poor.
    She didn't take that many pictures.
    She then took nearly a year to prepare the wedding album, coming up with lies every time we chased her/
    She didn't finish the album.
    We had to hire another photographer to fix the mess she'd made.
    She refused to answer our letters for a refund.
    She refused to answer my solicitor's letters.
    She refused to answer the CCJ obtained against her, as she didn't provide the service we paid a grand for.
    She refused to answer the Charging Order than we obtained against her house because she didn't pay up on the CCJ.

We're going to have to get the bailiffs in now to pay us what she owed. I'm not too worried, she's added £300 to her debt by refusing to answer us, and our debt is secured against her house (the Debt Recovery team at work have been fantastic). But it'd be nice to get our money back and an apology.

Bugger me! sounds like a bit of a hoohar! What about the photos from your big day? Does this mean you dont have many? How did another photographer fix the mess? Im confused!
  • Options
    The wedding was perfect.

T'was :yes:
  • Options
    The photographer as "compensation" gave us a CD of the originals, with copyright transferred to us. The new photographer was good with Photoshop, and managed to fix the colours, etc.

It's a shame because the wedding was perfect. The album's not bad, but its not good, and its not like we can go and get a new one done.

It doesn't matter, and I'd rather the album was a bit off rather than the venue or the Church. The worst thing that happened on the day itself was that the "helpful" Church warden though that someone had left the heating on by mistake, and turned it off the night before, meaning it was a bit parky in the Church. It was about -2 when we got married!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The photographer as "compensation" gave us a CD of the originals, with copyright transferred to us. The new photographer was good with Photoshop, and managed to fix the colours, etc.

It's a shame because the wedding was perfect. The album's not bad, but its not good, and its not like we can go and get a new one done.

It doesn't matter, and I'd rather the album was a bit off rather than the venue or the Church. The worst thing that happened on the day itself was that the "helpful" Church warden though that someone had left the heating on by mistake, and turned it off the night before, meaning it was a bit parky in the Church. It was about -2 when we got married!
    hehe, yeah I read that! saying your vows, and seeing your breath at the same time...what an image!

Im glad nothing else went wrong, and you managed to sort it out in the end...or at least salvage the best of a bad job!
  • Options
    I was toasty and warm in my lovely suit :heart:
  • Options
  • Options
    Hi there, my sister is actually getting married in july and i have found two very helpful websites; confetti and wedding guides websites!Being the maid of honour i have done a lot of research looking for affordable prices so hope this helps! :)
  • Options
    AWww at this thread :D

I'm going to get Married at York minster. :yes: Even if it is quite impractical / impossible.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    hehe, yeah I read that! saying your vows, and seeing your breath at the same time...what an image!

Im glad nothing else went wrong, and you managed to sort it out in the end...or at least salvage the best of a bad job!

The wedding album isn't that offensive, its just not that good. It's nowhere near as good as it should be. Still, I've just received the final charging Order from the county court today, so I'm not too gutted. In terms of spite, I think having such a big restriction (she can't do anything to her house without our consent!) is suitable recompense.

Even the cold wasn't that bad- for the last three days it had been siling down, non-stop. The freezing cold was more than tolerable seeing as it didn't rain. And it did mean we had snow on the hills:)

The rest of the day was absolutely fantastic, and the honeymoon (we went to Munich and Salzburg) was fwonderful too. A ceilidh at the wedding and then a honeymoon drinking lots of German beer :hyper:
  • Options
    I got married in Dubai and had a "traditional" Arabic wedding. We had it in the Grand Hyatt in Dubai (for an idea what an Arabic wedding is like Summary of my wedding)

The wedding was huge, apparently 1000+ people were there...i wanted a small wedding with about 200 close family and friends but with my husband being the eldest son, in Arab tradition the family goes all out.

I dread to even begin to think what the budget for the wedding was, thankfully it had nothing to do with me.

Best part, was him holding my hand up there where we sat and the worst part was walking in all on my own.

I was dubious as to whether or not to reply, but then you didnt mention what it was for and thought maybe an insight on different cultures weddings may be helpful.
  • Options
    Amira - I never realised you were married! Your only about my age aren't ya?! Wedding looks so cool by the way :D
  • Options
    yep got married last June, and yes im your age :p
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »

That looks like an amazing wedding, and you looked stunning :)
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    I was dubious as to whether or not to reply, but then you didnt mention what it was for and thought maybe an insight on different cultures weddings may be helpful.

Wow, that looks amazing!! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Wow, that looks amazing!! :crazyeyes

Absolutely! :love:
  • Options
    Oh my life Amira your wedding looks so cool and fantasy like.

I love going to weddings of people from a different cultural back ground to me.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah, it looks fantastic -nothing like the weddings I'm used to seeing! :)

Here it's mostly everybody being tired of hearing the priest speak, then groom & bride walk in circler around a table while people throw rice, and then they have to shake the hand of everybody and kiss all the babies.
  • Options
    bloody hell, that wedding is crackers!

last wedding i went to involved a novelty AliG dj and meat and potato pie supper.

i want one like this please.
  • Options
    Amira - What's your husband like, he looked like quite a gentle guy in that...