Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

300 years of Great Britain

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Today marks 300 years since the signing of the treaty of union between Scotland and England. The treaty brought peace, prosperity and free trade to Britain. It also took self-government away from the Scottish people, so it has been controversial since its signing.

I personally think the Union was a good thing. It put an end to warring between England and Scotland and laid the foundations of the British Empire. Some are more convinced that Scotland would be better off going it alone.

Devolution has brought a new twist to the union, bringing more autonomy to Scotland within the United Kingdom. This in itself has come with its own controersy, with overspend on the building and the infamous "West lothian question".

The debates will rage on.

Comments

• Options
    Maybe historians will refer to this anniversary in question, as the 300 years where great britain was great, but then subsequently realised after this week, that after invading iraq, taxing its citizens to damnation and giving the NHS its own viral illness; that we are no longer a united kingdom, nor that what is left over is great either.
  • Options
    What's the West Lothian question?
  • Options
    The question of mp's who were scottish who could vote on purely english matters, while english mp's due to devolution can't vote on scottish matters, was first raised by the mp for west lothian I believe

hence why its called the west lothian question

I think that's right anyway
  • Options
    It wasnt 300 years ago yesterday, this was before the final change to our calender, so actually its 300 years in 11 days time.
  • Options
  • Options
    I see two choices:

1 - Become federal.

2 - Dissolve the Union.
  • Options
    I see an idiot.
  • Options