Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The wonderful world of journalism part XCIV

The trial of 6 men accused of plotting to bomb London's public transport has started. Most newspapers carry the story on the front page as you would expect. But then a departure in sytle follows.

While most newspapers simply say 'July 21 bombers trial begins' and perhaps go on to reveal a few details (how the bombs were made or that the accused had been under surveillance) the S*n and the Daily Mail thought it'd be best to part with secondary details and make a headline of the thing that really matters: "BOMBER FLED IN A BURKA"

Never let it be said that the Soaraway S*n and the HateMail have an agenda to push eh? :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In a weird kind of way I think this case has actually made us safer on the Tube, would you now trust your chemist if he said the bombs would go off?

Its one thing to pull the trigger with total faith in the afterlife and the bomb, its quite another to pull the trigger knowing it might not work.
  • Options
    I don't like the sun or the daily mail but I think the burqa thing is interesting and raises issues. It certainly makes a more interesting headline than "trial begins."

It's the guys who are accused of plotting to bomb innocent people that are at fault (if guilty obviously), they're only reporting what happens in court.

If people accused of serious crimes are capable of potentially escaping/evading justice when dressed in a burqa I think that is pretty important!
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    In a weird kind of way I think this case has actually made us safer on the Tube, would you now trust your chemist if he said the bombs would go off?

Its one thing to pull the trigger with total faith in the afterlife and the bomb, its quite another to pull the trigger knowing it might not work.

I think you're may have something there ... people might really worry that their bombs just fizzle and they are left to take the ensuing flac. What gets my goat is these spineless gits are ALL pleading innocent. If they were people with backbone, they would stand up and say "Fuck you! Yes, I tried to do it - and I would do it again!". That would be true conviction ...

(Yes .. I know about 'innocent until proved guilty' ... )
  • Options
    Given that for the last few months there has been a full frontal assault from some quarters on what Muslim women should and shouldn't be allowed to wear, I have no doubt whatsoever what has prompted the two rags to choose that detail for their front pages.

The claim that they were under surveillance, to name but one thing mentioned in the front page of any of the other newspapers, is rather more relevant and important.

But why simply report on something if you can push your agenda at the same time by carefully choosing your headlines?

I take my hat off to Ms. Wade and Mr. Dacre
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Given that for the last few months there has been a full frontal assault from some quarters on what Muslim women should and shouldn't be allowed to wear, I have no doubt whatsoever what has prompted the two rags to choose that detail for their front pages.

Its totally unrelated to this topic, by the woman who lives next door to me wears a full burka and she brought me a tray of sweets a few days ago, they were lovely. Actually knowing an individual who wears one has really been an eye opener.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    What gets my goat is these spineless gits are ALL pleading innocent.

That's their legal advice talking.

Only a fucking idiot pleads guilty to murder.

I disagree with Aladdin- its an important detail and something relevant to the debate on burkas.
  • Options
    budda wrote:

Not sure I'd trust my chemist with bombs anyway - very good at prescribing cough medecine and a place to keep cheap razors, but bombs....

On a more serious note - homemade bombs have always been notoriously tricky - it certainly wasn't unknown for the security forces to have to clear up bits of IRA bombmaker or bombers after they'd made a slight miscalculation.
  • Options
    The burka thing isn't new either - it was being reported at the time. Its relevant to how he got from the country - though whether its headline is a matter of news judgement.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    budda wrote:

That is a very good point. It also makes me happy knowing the kind of people who makes these bombs are incompetent.

Although you might also take the perspective that they will now check and double check everything before making a move...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Only a fucking idiot pleads guilty to murder./QUOTE]

Them IS fucking idiots!!!! :p But I know what you're saying ...
  • Options
    I just waiting for some crackpot from cosmopolitan or ok/hello to reduce this argument to discussion on a mans right to crossdress in peace.
  • Options
    The minimum sentence for murder is life. You get a third off for an early guilty plea. A third off life is still life. Hence everyone denies murder until convicted, and then starts begging for forgiveness.