Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

French wanted to be British

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Well, if you can't beat 'em...:lol:
  • Options
    I've got a french mate who's joined the TA who I take the mick out of. I think the french love us more than they care to admit :p
  • Options
    :lol:

If they promise to do to our royal family what they did to their own, them im all for it!!
  • Options
    It was considered very, very seriously during the German invasion of France in the second world war - the hope being that a unification of the nations would mean that the French would be able to avoid any offical surrender - even when Paris fell.

This would also mean the French wouldn't of given up control of the country, or had to offical take the legal steps involved in surrender (for example not being required to stand down the FRench army and Navy).

It was only the speed of the invasion that prevented it happening.

Of course in the 50's I'd imagine it would have had more to do with the growing power of the US and Russia.
  • Options
    And in WW2 they rejected Churchill offer of union, prefering to be German :eek:

On a more serious note the idea of union was hardly likely to be off serious appeal to either the French or British. Imagine, if Blair suddenly introduced legislation making you French - its hardly likely to appeal to 99% of people (unless you're French of course).
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    It was considered very, very seriously during the German invasion of France in the second world war - the hope being that a unification of the nations would mean that the French would be able to avoid any offical surrender - even when Paris fell.

This would also mean the French wouldn't of given up control of the country, or had to offical take the legal steps involved in surrender (for example not being required to stand down the FRench army and Navy).

It was only the speed of the invasion that prevented it happening.

Of course in the 50's I'd imagine it would have had more to do with the growing power of the US and Russia.

More Suez and the Middle East. There was a concern that if the British as allies of Jordan supported them then there was a potential risk that France would be pulled into the war as an ally of Israel. Certainly the Jordanians were by the far the best of the Arab forces aligned against Israel and British involvement could tip the balance, possibly forcing France to come in (the Brits were not big fans of Israel and were closer to the moderate Arab states). It would also ensure that the British were drawn into the Suez adventure (I suspect the French at the time didn't realise quite how much Eden - a strong anti-appeaser, saw Nasser as the equivalent of Hitler and didn't want to make the same mistakes as Atlee)

Eta
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/01/15/nfrance115.xml

which seems slightly different from today print edition
  • Options
    Had we joined I bet our trains would be far better today though :p
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Had we joined I bet our trains would be far better today though :p

And our taxes much higher, thats the problem with us Brits, we want the public services of Europe, but want to pay US taxes.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Lol at France.

Taxes higher? Yes. But only in some things.

We'd have far, far, far, far cheaper Petrol, Fags and Booze.

And in all honestly, our life probably would be better, and easier.
  • Options
    and we`d have far better pastries and biscuits
  • Options
    Better language skills too.
  • Options
    and we`d be sexier and have more mistresses!

Wed also have much more luxuriant and extravagant moustaches.
  • Options
    Wed also have much more luxuriant and extravagant moustaches.

Is that the women or the men?
  • Options
    :lol:

If they promise to do to our royal family what they did to their own, them im all for it!!
    Thinking about it, the Queen probably has a legitimate claim to the throne of France. She must be related to French royalty somewhere along the line.
  • Options
    Thinking about it, the Queen probably has a legitimate claim to the throne of France. She must be related to French royalty somewhere along the line.
    Im pretty sure the Windsors are German.
  • Options
    Im pretty sure the Windsors are German.

So? All the major monarchs of Europe have intermarried somewhere along the line. Ever see the state of the Royal Family? Inbred hicks.
  • Options

We gave it up in 1800

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_claims_to_the_French_throne#Ending_the_claim