Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fresh execution madness in Iraq

- Two of Saddam's aids hanged

- One of the men decapitated by botched hanging

- Executions filmed, most likely to be leaked to the net

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6263787.stm

Tell you what, this new 'democratic' and 'free' Iraq is behaving in a way that would make Saddam himself proud.

Nearly as proud as the US government must be of its puppet regime.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And the tragedy doesn't just stop there :-

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,243655,00.html

"Boys Across World Die Mimicking Saddam Hanging"
  • Options
    If only these kids' tragic deaths were to show once and for all to those who favour the death penalty what unspeakable, repugnant abomination it is...
  • Options
    Why does having the death penalty for serious crimes mean Iraq is necessarily any less 'free' or 'democratic'

You might argue in fact that having the death penalty is rather more democratic than not, depending what you take the meaning of the word to be....
  • Options
    It's a matter of personal opinion I guess. In my view, any nation that has the death penalty is a semi (if not fully) barbaric regime where the single most fundamental freedom of all, i.e. the freedom to live, is not guaranteed.

You are right that it doesn't necessarily make a nation less democratic. Then again some democracies are far worse than some non-democracies and the term 'democracy' is rather overrated.

In any event atrocities commited by the Iraqi regime have not changed- the only thing that has changed is who is in charge of the regime. And let's not even mention the revolutionary notions of judiciary impartiality and fair trials.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Why does having the death penalty for serious crimes mean Iraq is necessarily any less 'free' or 'democratic'

It doesn't. It's just another chance to have a go at Bush and Blair. Sad really.

I don't agree with the death penalty anyway, this doesn't add any value to my opinion. In fact I would draw more attention to the gentleman who was relased on appeal last week following 14 years inside for murder.
  • Options
    It doesn't. It's just another chance to have a go at Bush and Blair. Sad really.
    You think it's sad to protest against a bent-as-fuck court giving show trials to defendants and executing them with the full approval of the US government and the complacency of our Prime Minister, who only saw fit to complain about the 'manner' of an execution?

Is this really what Blair had in mind when he kept lecturing us all about the need of freeing Iraq and making it a peaceful, civilised and just society?

Hell, at least Bush believes in executing people and hasn't got much of a problem if they get fried, given dodgy injections, gassed or any other way those in power see fit (though I would have thought he at least believed in giving defendants a fair trial- but apparently not).

Blair on the other hand has elevated the word hypocrite to new levels- not to mention the term 'morally bankrupt'.
  • Options
    Do you believe they were innocent? It may not have been a perfect trial - but it certainly wasn't a show trial. Its hard to argue that innocent men were wrongly convicted...

I'm against the death penalty, but to suggest that in this case it is some way equivalent to the massacre of the kurds or marsh arabs, where hundreds, thousands even tens or hundreds of thousands were shot, gassed, tortured and then dumped in mass graves is a tad extreme.
  • Options
    Obviously the extent of the crimes is not quite the same. But the manner is not much better. Having eliminated the WMDs, threat to others and terrorism claims, the only excuse left for Britain and US when trying to justify the war and regime change is to make life better for the locals and to help transform Iraq into a free, fair and just society.

Instead we have puppet governments and hand-picked judges producing trials that don't even resemble a half-arsed attempt at justice or fairness, and botched executions with members of one Muslim faction taunting the condemned man and his 'tribe' while the noose is being fastened round his neck.

So what has exactly changed in Iraq for the better? Nothing I can think of. Murder and violence, state-sanctioned or otherwise, still exist- and in most cases, flourish. The only difference is the killer's hand.

Bush and Blair could at least have joined the pleas of the civilised world urging Iraq not to carry out any executions. But instead the Mad Texan goes yee-haaa! while the Poodle would only wish the executions were a bit more PR-friendly.

It's a shameful disgrace all around and it's further propelling Iraq towards total civil war and devastation.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    You think it's sad to protest against a bent-as-fuck court giving show trials to defendants and executing them with the full approval of the US government and the complacency of our Prime Minister, who only saw fit to complain about the 'manner' of an execution?

No, I think it's sad to use this as a chance to abuse Bush and Blair. Use it to abuse the Iraqi justice system, sure, but don't assume that the US has as much influence there as you think.
    Is this really what Blair had in mind when he kept lecturing us all about the need of freeing Iraq and making it a peaceful, civilised and just society?

I doubt it. His views on the death penalty are well known.
  • Options
    No, I think it's sad to use this as a chance to abuse Bush and Blair. Use it to abuse the Iraqi justice system, sure, but don't assume that the US has as much influence there as you think.
    Do you really think that?

The US could fuck the Iraqi government in so many different ways, the Iraqis would sooner dance on live TV wearing ladies' underwear than risk pissing them off.

The US wasn't exactly sad to see Saddam killed (oh the things he could have told us in the safety of an impartial tribunal somewhere in Europe!) and some would say it ensured a death sentence veredict would be returned.

I doubt it. His views on the death penalty are well known.
    And yet it took him a full week to even open his mouth on the subject. Needless to say he refused to joiin voices across the world, from the EU to the Vatican to Amnesty International, urging the Iraqis not to proceed with the executions. That's because he's wimp and a hypocrite, amongst a number of other things. Forgive me for feeling he deserves all the abuse he gets, and then some.