Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Wrong numbers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've had a few missed calls on my phone over the last few days. All from a withheld number with no message left. This morning I looked at my phone and saw 2 more missed calls but there was a voicemail this time.

Turns out It was a scene of crime police officer from Colchester police station wanting me to go in and get my injuries photograped and have a look at some photos to try and pick out my attacker :shocking:

Obviously it was a wrong number since I've not been attacked and never been to Colchester, oh aye and my name isnt Darren :p

Anyone had any funny/interesting wrong numbers lately?

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Hi Darren :wave:
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    I've had a few missed calls on my phone over the last few days. All from a withheld number with no message left. This morning I looked at my phone and saw 2 more missed calls but there was a voicemail this time.

Turns out It was a scene of crime police officer from Colchester police station wanting me to go in and get my injuries photograped and have a look at some photos to try and pick out my attacker :shocking:

Obviously it was a wrong number since I've not been attacked and never been to Colchester, oh aye and my name isnt Darren :p

Anyone had any funny/interesting wrong numbers lately?

On another forum a person received a MMS with a picture of a topless girl wishing Dave (apparently her b/f) happy NYE.

He responded, "Why, thank you. If I find out who Dave is, I will pass the message!"
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Hi Darren :wave:
    :love:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    StrubbleS wrote:
    On another forum a person received a MMS with a picture of a topless girl wishing Dave (apparently her b/f) happy NYE.

He responded, "Why, thank you. If I find out who Dave is, I will pass the message!"
    Nice! :D

Last week I got 3-4 calls in the time of 5 minutes, where sometimes a man and sometimes a woman would say "Allo" when I answered, which sounds French, but then they went on speaking in what sounded like Japanese. :confused:
    I told them they had the wrong number every time, but apparently they didn't understand English...
    Pretty difficult to dial the wrong country though, don't you think?
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    We get messages on BT 1571 of people trying to book their Audi in for servicing.

Our number's quite close to the local Audi Dealer.
  • Options
    Saeed M wrote:
    We get messages on BT 1571 of people trying to book their Audi in for servicing.

Our number's quite close to the local Audi Dealer.
    You should tell them all to drop their cars off at your house at 9am :D
  • Options
    We go through patches of getting loads for Haart estate agent. What makes things a little more interesting is the names, I have two brothers Andy and Mark, and it seems Haart have an Andy and a Mark working there. Tis quite comic when they ask to talk to one of them, I pass them over and they start trying to chat to them about houses.....
  • Options
    Theres a company called Makita that has a number quite close to my Dad's home number, so we get calls for them all the time.

Thats neither funny nor interesting, but I wanted to join in :(
  • Options
    Last week I got 3-4 calls in the time of 5 minutes, where sometimes a man and sometimes a woman would say "Allo" when I answered, which sounds French, but then they went on speaking in what sounded like Japanese. :confused:
    I told them they had the wrong number every time, but apparently they didn't understand English...
    Pretty difficult to dial the wrong country though, don't you think?

Mr M had two strange calls to his mobile from France in the last week.
  • Options
    I got a few txts a while ago asking if Rachel wanted to come down "The Fox".

Tough shit Rach.
  • Options
    "Can I get a taxi from Morrisons please?"

:banghead:
  • Options
    We kept getting calls for requests for Magic FM for a while.

This wasn't helped by us (OK, me) thinking it hilarious to answer the phone "hello, magic FM" in an attempt at a cheesy voice...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

This wasn't helped by us (OK, me) thinking it hilarious to answer the phone "hello, magic FM" in an attempt at a cheesy voice...

I'd of done that. :D
  • Options
    I was at a friend's house when I was like 12 and rang my home number to speak to my mum. Started speaking to her. Usual chit chat. Then I asked her to come over to pick me up. Suddenly it dawned on me.

'You're not my mum.....'

'Oh dear..You're not my daughter'

*cue laughing from both of us*

Me: Ok thanks..Byeeee
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    We kept getting calls for requests for Magic FM for a while.

:lol:

We've had people (actually I think it was the same person) phoning up numerous times asking for a bloke we hadn't heard of and my parents had lived in this house for about 19/20 years at the time!
  • Options
    On Saturday night, just before midnight, I got a call on my mobile. The number in question wasn't withheld, but my phone didn't recognise it, as it wasn't in the memory. I picked up the phone. Here was a woman who called herself "Lindsay". She was obviously pissed, and had a fairly strong Scouse accent. She thought she'd called her boyfriend, and kept calling me Dave. At one point, I almost told her my name's actually Rodney.

Anyway, after listening to ten minutes of rather incoherent drivel, she said that she loved and me and couldn't wait to... no, I can't repeat that, she hung up. Weirdest phone call in months.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    I was at a friend's house when I was like 12 and rang my home number to speak to my mum. Started speaking to her. Usual chit chat. Then I asked her to come over to pick me up. Suddenly it dawned on me.

'You're not my mum.....'

'Oh dear..You're not my daughter'

*cue laughing from both of us*

Me: Ok thanks..Byeeee
    how?
  • Options
    I must've jinxed myself with this thread, I've just had a woman call my landline 3 times thinking I was a Travel Agents.

You think she would've taken the hint the first time I told her to bugger off but no, she phoned back twice more and then asked "are you sure?"

That's right missus I forgot my name was Barrhead Travel and not Shaz, twit.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    how?

What do you mean?

It's a weird coincidence but her daughter must have had a smilar voice to mine ahd she had a similar voice to my mum.
  • Options
    I ususally don't, but for a couple weeks straight I got tons of them. Never answered them, but listening to the voice mails were even better. Like a woman calling from the airport on her way to Tampa wishing Tami a happy birthday. Or some guy on his break asking if he could get picked up from work, love ya hunny, see you soon. If he didn't know his girlfriends number and voice mail, it doesn't matter what number he calls, she aint pickin him up :p

When my mom got a new number she used to get calls at 2am from drunk hillbillies.
  • Options
    This kind of happened to me. My mum changed her mobile number but obviously didn't tell people that her number had changed. A few times I got some texts but they all started with her, like saying 'Hi Sara' and one time one of them just said 'this is my new number' and then a name was the last word in the text. I texted this person back and asked who it was. Deleted the number, having not reconised the name and thought it was a wrong number. Turns out that it was my cousin, who I hadn't seen in about 4 years or so.... (which I realised about 6 months later)
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    What do you mean?

It's a weird coincidence but her daughter must have had a smilar voice to mine ahd she had a similar voice to my mum.
    How did you ring home and get the number wrong?
  • Options
    I had a woman leave a message saying to put the baked beans on she's coming home! lol

One nut case left a message once saying he was jesus and he was black and white and had purple and brown hair. Wierd... :shocking:
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    satehen wrote:
    I had a woman leave a message saying to put the baked beans on she's coming home! lol
    :lol: I bet she was gutted when she got home and realised she was going to be beanless!

I dont think I have had any. I got a few messages years ago, but thats it. I must just have a boring number.
  • Options
    Some woman called Helen has got my mobile no muddled with hers and had a load of business cards printed up.

I get at least 3 or 4 calls a week asking for her and I've had a few texts too. This has been going on for 3 years, I have learned that Welsh is her first language and her best friend is Angharad. She also gets invited to Ann Summers parties quite often.
  • Options
    We had someone leave a message on our answerphone offering to sell us a monkey. I have no idea why, or how they got our number (i've never looked into buying a monkey before...) but thinking about it, we should have chased it up. How cool would that have been?!

I couldn't stop laughing for about 20 minutes when i heard the message though, it was just really surreal!
  • Options
    One of my old jobs in an estate agents, the number was one digit out from a local car place. The guys in the office where forever booking customers in and generally taking the piss.

Oh Danny: :lol: at the story.
  • Options
    You've reminded me, one of the mans friends number was the same of that of a golf course, only a different area code. He would make reservations and book t-times for people when they called :D
  • Options
    Once my phone rung and the network must have messed up, because it connected me to two other peoples conversation but they couldn't hear me. I couldn't understand them though, they were speaking chav.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote:
    Once my phone rung and the network must have messed up, because it connected me to two other peoples conversation but they couldn't hear me. I couldn't understand them though, they were speaking chav.

That used to happen to me all the time, like a decade ago on an old landline phone my parents had. I'd be in the middle of a phone conversation then all the sudden I heard other people talking.

OF course I never listened :angel:

After a while we figured out it was always the people that lived directly behind us.