Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Religious groups trying keep discrimination of gays legal

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, it's called loving thy neighbour, there's even a parable, the one with the samaritan in.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Yes, it's called loving thy neighbour, there's even a parable, the one with the samaritan in.

Maybe the protesters could do with actually reading their sacred text?
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Maybe the protesters could do with actually reading their sacred text?

Possibly, but they'd probably come back with some even stranger views than they already hold.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6243323.stm

Perhaps unsurprisingly ;) I side with those in favour of introducing this law.

If people are not allow to discriminate on the grounds of race (or religion for that matter) then it's high time homosexuals were covered too.

So much for freedom of association...
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I know plenty of gay Christians too.
    :wave:

I actually do think that the BBC did imply more than the Guardian (the only other source I read on this, I admit) that it was more widespread than a group of slightly odd fundamentalists. Most Christians, even the ones that think it's wrong to have gay relationships, aren't opposed to gay rights.

I also think it's naïve to assume - given that Ruth Kelly still holds power over this legislation for now - that the religious groups won't be listened to. They have already succeeded in pushing it back so that the legislation only came into force in N. Ireland this month. I could still be refused a place to stay if I rocked up to a Christian-owned B&B with a girlfriend. I find that quite disgusting, frankly.
  • Options
    If I may say so, if the majority of Christians are understanding and tolerant of gays (and I don't have a problem believing that) you need to work on your leaders.

That 4 of the 5 bishops in the Lords voted to keep discrimination legal appears to show that:

- those in charge of organised religion are bigoted and out of touch with the faithful at large

- there is no justification whatsoever for keeping bishops in the House of Lords. They should lose their seats

For what's worth the problem is by no means exclusive of the Anglican church. The Catholic Churh is also ruled by bigots and homophobes who are completely out of touch with modern life and with their beliefs and sentiments of the majority of Catholics around the world. I suspect other religions and denominations might have similar problems.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    - there is no justification whatsoever for keeping bishops in the House of Lords. They should lose their seats.
    There's no justification for keeping anyone in the House of Lords.
  • Options
    There's no justification for keeping anyone in the House of Lords.

Or the House of Commons ?
  • Options
    No seeker, I can justify that.

It pisses you off :p