Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Student Elections

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
At uni, did anyone, or does anyone put themselves forward for these? What is/was your policies? And like me, did anyone assume that anyone who's doing a politics degree was blatantly running for something to put on their CV?

Incidentally, most of the "policies" I heard involved "erm, we'll try and get some more bands playing here and stuff." And they never did.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'm running for communications officer this year.

What're you planning to run for? Or is it a retrospective question?
  • Options
    Oh it's a retrospective question. I had a life at uni. :p

ETA: What the fuck is Communications Officer?
  • Options
    It's the person responsible for communicating SU news to the masses, also for overseeing campaigning within the union.

Amazing how much exec positions vary among universities... we have:

President (sabb)
    VP Finance/Operations (sabb)
    VP Education/Welfare (sabb)
    Secretary
    Chair
    Bar Officer
    Ents Officer
    Heritage/Estates Officer
    Communications Officer
    Sports Officer
    Societies Officer
    Charities Officer
    Community Projects Officer (ex-sabb, may be again, I don't know)
  • Options
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I find student elections really rather frustrating as they are so often aimed at the lowest possible level. There will be posters all over the campus from students campaigning to be electing that say very little about who the peson is or what they stand for, and instead just going on about what a "mad, crazy" person they are accompanied by a suitably wacky photo of them out on the piss.

You speak the truth :thumb:

In Uni the only elected officer I ever found to do any real work or be of any real help [to me, anyway] was the Women's Officer. She was excellent, really committed and - importantly - elected without making empty promises about beer flowing freely from the taps in the toilets etc.

The President of the SU in my 1st year annoyed the arse off me. Especially when he used to crash our house parties and ask where the "president's chair" was. Fuck off!
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    You speak the truth :thumb:
    :yes:

tbh its a popularity contest above anything else.
  • Options
    I am my university's environmental and ethical officer (part time unpaid) and I do enjoy it, but you have to not get wound up when people put down your ideas or even try to get spport against them (for example, a certain motion I put through for the agm)

I'd like to run as VP Student Support next year because I'm a big believer in advocacy and would love to run campaigns, even if I am not the world's biggest fan of the NUS.

Part of my manifesto is to introduce a 'buddy scheme', where second and third year students will get basic training and will be there to support and give advice to freshers.

Another part will be some sort of food to be offered for students in the library during 24 hour study, so they don't have to walk out in to a dark busy town to get a takeaway. All our library has is a machine selling crisps and sweets... Hardly substantial for a busy student.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    :yes:

tbh its a popularity contest above anything else.
    Yes totally... In my uni the best thing to have is the support of the afro carrebean society, or Muslims
  • Options
    I was elected President of te Physical Sciences Society when I was at university. I can't remember my policies though...
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    I'm running for communications officer this year.
    Ladies and gentlemen, Mr Joseph Goebbels... :p
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I can't remember my policies though...
    That should be no impediment to high office!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    That should be no impediment to high office!
    Indeed... not sure if I remembered them at the time either :D
  • Options
    Oh at my Uni they were quite serious tbh. Anyone attempting to get elected for an important office that campaigned with their latest out-on-the-piss photo would have got rightly laughed at and had zilch opportunity of actually getting elected.

Although popularity did definitely count merit also did. Your best bet at getting elected was having enough charisma though.

I myself was never a candidate, but my brother was on two occasions and and i was involved in general campaigning and things for about 2 or 3 years. They asked me to be a candidate once but I had my hands full with other stuff, mainly volunteering. Plus I stood no chance of getting elected tbh - my assets were better invested elsewhere :razz:
  • Options
    Actually, my friend was the president of the Union of Jewish Students (or words to that effect) at our uni. He was also the only member. He had a hoody and a mug and everything..
  • Options
    I stood for the campaigns officer at my uni, similar job to communications officer at other places.

Lost out by 18 votes on a cross campus ballot, didn't have enough money for a lawyer to demand a recount though.
  • Options
    star* wrote:
    I'm running for LGBT officer, lots of students and staff said I'd be good at it, yayyy
    All the best people do ;)

I was president of the LGBT for my first 2 years, Societies Officer in 2nd year, and I'm currently Campaigns and Equal Opportunities Officer but I'm considering running for a full-time role next year.

I hate campaigning, for the reasons outlined above, but I really do feel strongtly that I could do the job and do it well - I'm passionate about it - so I'm going to take the risk! It might well be the first time I've been seriously contested in an election.