Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

My new car.....yay!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    I should really buy a more modern car, but I none of them really intrest me. I like my intresting 90's cars. I'm thinking of buying my mates Louts (Talbot) Sunbeam off him just for a bit of fun. It's bright orange. :D

Nice cars. Shite, but nice, if you know what I mean :). Esprit engine needs working quite hard to make it move - I can think of other cars I'd sooner own, but it's all a bit of experience and fun, isn't it :).
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Nice cars. Shite, but nice, if you know what I mean :).

I know exactly what you mean. The things a piece of shit, but it is fun to hack round the village. I quite often buy cars that intrest me, only to sell them a month or two down the line when I get bored.
    I've got a van, for practical shit.

I've never really been intrested in modern cars that much, but recently I've been thinking of getting a moden audi, a top of the range A3 or even an S4. I like them.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I know exactly what you mean. The things a piece of shit, but it is fun to hack round the village. I quite often buy cars that intrest me, only to sell them a month or two down the line when I get bored.
    I've got a van, for practical shit.

I've never really been intrested in modern cars that much, but recently I've been thinking of getting a moden audi, a top of the range A3 or even an S4. I like them.

Has to be said that the new RS4 is something that I toyed with getting..................................
  • Options
    Hmm... there are quite a lot of cars out there that appeal to me. But rather than buy something that new, I'd go for something a little different - Lotus Carlton still appeals :).

Quite fancy getting an E39 540, with a 4.4 V8 and a six-speed manual box. Should be quite good fun - a pair of small turbochargers should make it even more fun. Can get them for peanuts(in comparison to an RS4 or similar).
  • Options
    Hmm... there are quite a lot of cars out there that appeal to me. But rather than buy something that new, I'd go for something a little different - Lotus Carlton still appeals :).

Quite fancy getting an E39 540, with a 4.4 V8 and a six-speed manual box. Should be quite good fun - a pair of small turbochargers should make it even more fun. Can get them for peanuts(in comparison to an RS4 or similar).

True.

I didn't end up going for an RX-7 in the end... Just figured that there were too many things to go wrong with that engine.

I have promised myself that I will have a Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder (or maybe the coupe...) by the time I'm 35. Always good to have an aim that is achievable, but not too easily.

Lotus Carlton was an object of desire for me for some time... Gone off it a bit now as it just looks too dated.

Don't think I would bother with the twin turbo route on a 540. I'd go a super charger. Easier to do, usually a lot cheaper, and less stressful on the internals. If I were to bother thinking about spending that much on an E39 though I'd go the M5 every time.
  • Options
    I quite like the idea of getting my hands dirty :).
  • Options
    Hahah - I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but there is no way I would attempt a forced induction conversion myself! Also, that wankel engine is just a mystery if any of the internals go wrong...

I think I'll stick with my modern cars for the time being... Aye.
  • Options
    I almost rebuilt a 205GTi with a hybrid 1.9 8v & 2.0 turbocharged lump. Would have been knocking on for 200bhp. Would have been fun :).

Did some porting on my cousins 1.8 K-series Rover 200 head and manifolds earlier this year. Now makes 132bhp at the wheels, which should be nudging 150bhp at the crank or so. I'm daft enough to take most things on, so long as I still have a form of transport available :).
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Every person i've met with cars that colour have been boring :p
    :hyper: :lol:

cool car. but teh colour is a bit boring...:naughty:
  • Options
    i could really use a new car. who wants to buy me one?
  • Options
    I almost rebuilt a 205GTi with a hybrid 1.9 8v & 2.0 turbocharged lump. Would have been knocking on for 200bhp. Would have been fun :).

Did some porting on my cousins 1.8 K-series Rover 200 head and manifolds earlier this year. Now makes 132bhp at the wheels, which should be nudging 150bhp at the crank or so. I'm daft enough to take most things on, so long as I still have a form of transport available :).

All far too old, and I'm far too cautious to risk fucking up £40k of car.

Good on you though for taking on the projects you do - they're beyond the capabilities of my baby soft hands ;)
  • Options
    Nah, they aren't. Just need planning, preparation and patience :).

Mechanics is a doddle, so long as people are logical and thorough.
  • Options
    Primera is nice. My last car was the Primera 2.0SE - it went quite well, and handled tidily. Only grief it ever gave me was a fault in the alternator, which reared it's ugly head whilst I was driving to Stoke for my motorcycle test... but other than that, I never had a problem. :)
    It's seemed pretty good to drive so far, although almost every journey I've done so far has been in the dark, pissing it down with rain so it's hard to judge. I'm already learning the things they don't teach you on your test, such as don't drive into the sunlight with a filthy windscreen.

Oh and Skive, if you're wanting a 90's car to piss about in, why not go for a Skyline? You can pick em up pretty cheap, I think.
  • Options
    It's the muck on the inside of the windscreen you need to be careful of. And, after cleaning it all off, you need to make sure you get rid of the streaks, as they're a pain in the arse in bright sunlight and when driving at night-time :).

A spot of distilled vinegar on a cloth will helps clean up wiper blades and a greasy windscreen.

Be careful in the wet - the Primera, like any other FWD car, has a tendency to push straight forward(understeer) if you overcook it on a corner or roundabout. All you can do is stay off the brakes and wait for grip to resume, and try to plan for where the wheels are pointing when grip does return.

I personally recommend finding an empty car-park late one wet night, and pushing the car a bit. Try travelling at 30mph, stabbing(back off the throttle, then snap it down again) the power on in 2nd or 3rd, and turning the steering sharply to provoke it. After two or three attempts you should get the hang of it, and it'll give you a very good idea of what is likely to go wrong in the real world when it's wet.

You're unlikely to break anything, unless it was already worn, and it'll make dealing with such issues when they occur in unexpected circumstances a far more natural proposition :).

Nobody is ever taught what to expect when things start to go wrong. If you're able to deal with them quickly enough, you can escape with a racing heartbeat and wobbly legs, rather than an accident. :)
  • Options
    Be careful in the wet - the Primera, like any other FWD car, has a tendency to push straight forward(understeer) if you overcook it on a corner or roundabout. All you can do is stay off the brakes and wait for grip to resume, and try to plan for where the wheels are pointing when grip does return.
    Since you seem to know a lot about this stuff, can you tell me why it makes a horrible noise when I accelarate too fast round a corner from standing? I assume it's something to do with it being FWD? Or it might be because my front tyres need replacing (which I'm getting done this week).
  • Options
    It depends on the noise - can you describe it at all?
  • Options
    It sounds kinda similar to when your ABS kicks in during an emergency stop. Just a few thudding noises as it accelarates.
  • Options
    Knackered CV joint would be the first place to look. Get it looked at, as when they break you're totally stranded - they can be quite expensive, too. :)
  • Options
    Fantastic. I swear if they put another speed bump in this shithole I'll bomb the town hall with all those wankers in it.
  • Options
    Chances are the other one won't be far behind, either. Things tend to wear at a similar rate - steering turns both wheels, both headlamps are used at the same time, tyres travel the same distance, etc. :)

CV joints deteriorate rapidly if the boot is split. It allows the grease to be lost, and dirt & moisture to enter,