Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Car tax query

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know if i can legally drive my car or not?

On monday i bought car tax online, got the confirmation email saying that it's been accepted etc. Im still waiting for the disk itself to be delivered, apparantly it takes up to 5 working days.

I checked on the website and it said its an offence do drive without a valid tax disk displayed on my car.

But does this still apply when i am waiting for my disk to be delivered? My logic tells me that technically i should be covered but at the same time im not sure if im covered from the time i display the disk.

Comments

• Options
    Blah wrote:
    it said its an offence do drive without a valid tax disk displayed on my car.
    and thats exactly right. wait.
  • Options
    It seems very difficult to find an official answer as nothing is said.

I went and bought mine at the post office this morning because I had the same concern. I guess you could ring the help line and ask.
  • Options
    If you were to display in the car tax disc in post, you probably wouldnt get done as they can check.
    Thats what the other half was told my a police officer. But then it depends how bored the police office is i expect.
  • Options
    Can they not do roadside checks into that sort of thing, like they do when they need to check whether you have insurance?
  • Options
    I spoke to the DVLA (or DMV, i get confused)... people when i bought my new car, and they said that if i were to buy a tax disc online and put the reciept in my car window it'd be ok.

In the end, i couldn't get a tax disc so i just drove it home without one and bought one the next day :)
  • Options
    ace, i really have to drive to lincoln at the weekend so if i havent recieved it by then, i will have to do what you said sa-ra-ra-ra.

cheers for replies, i'll probably ring them up to confirm
  • Options
    I spoke to the DVLA (or DMV, i get confused)... people when i bought my new car, and they said that if i were to buy a tax disc online and put the reciept in my car window it'd be ok.

In the end, i couldn't get a tax disc so i just drove it home without one and bought one the next day :)
    DMV is american.
  • Options
    Problem is over now as i recieved my tax disk early :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Traffic police aint so hot on driving without tax anymore, and if you do get caught on the roadside they'll ofetn give you a producer and let you go.
    I never had tax on my bikes. :D
    It's always better to be safe than sorry though.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Problem is over now as i recieved my tax disk early :)
    I've always bought mine online and they have arrived the next working day.