Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

No Tobacco for u-18s

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Does this apply to Mental Health wards with patients being kept on sections? That would seem very harsh indeed.

Good question. Will have to ask someone tomorrow...
  • Options
    Good question. Will have to ask someone tomorrow...
    Someone told me today that this is the only area of the NHS where it is still being debated and isn't already decided.
  • Options
    Indeed. Exemption at present although this is expected to change.
  • Options
    Indeed. Exemption at present although this is expected to change.
    Is there a specific thread to debate the NHS smoking ban? Or can I just hi-jack this one? I think there are so many situations where it is harmful to both smokers and non-smokers for an outright ban and I want to rant about it!
  • Options
    Well if you really want to rant there's always -

http://www.thesite.org/community/reallife/getinvolved

but otherwise this thread might be as good as anywhere else, as it already seems to be moving to be about nhs policy - however if other people object you might want to start a new thread
  • Options
    I think its generally a good move, obviously it will create more business for the bootleggers, but if getting fags is more difficult then less kids will start.

Giving places which sell tobacco a licence would be a good step too, that way they have something to loose if they are caught out selling to those under age.

Doing what other countries have done and gradually moving alcohol and tobacco sales into government run licenced shops would be a good move too.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Doing what other countries have done and gradually moving alcohol and tobacco sales into government run licenced shops would be a good move too.

That would certainly benefit some.

Another source of income.
  • Options
    1. Does anyone know why this didn't have to be voted on by MPs?

I think it may have been.

Perhaps as an amendment.

There are examples of this, where an amendment is added to "a Bill ", especially one that is likely to have a big majority.

Legalland is a good place to make things appear innocuous.
  • Options
    Doesn't the amendment have to be voted on though. I know that Sec State can be given discretion in some areas but only after it has been agreed in the Bill...
  • Options
    Doesn't the amendment have to be voted on though. I know that Sec State can be given discretion in some areas but only after it has been agreed in the Bill...

The amendment to give "legal powers" to raise (and lower) the age was part of the "Bill" *, and therefore voted on.

(In my experience, few people read the small print)

*If you want to see for yourself, Part1 Chapter2 paragraph 13
  • Options
    Except in NI where the age will remain 16.
  • Options
    another stupid thing is that it will make it a more attractive proposition to yooung women, who by the way are the only population group who are increasing in rates of smoking - mainly to seem older apparantly

im a nonsmoker it should of stayed 16+ imo and non-distilled alcohol should be 16+ too
  • Options
    Yeah all this continuing demonising of smokers and attempts to make smoking taboo might just making smoking cool and fashionable again...Maybe the tobacco companies are behind the anti-smoking movement. :chin:
  • Options
    I think it will definitely benefit the schools, especially those with a 6th form centre.

I remember the school trying to stop smokers but the Year 11 kids who were 16 always fought their ground and the school didn't have the time or resources to DOB check everyone.

I agree that under 18s will just start getting older people to buy them, the same as drink. But with the other smoking laws changing in July - smoking should start to lose it's social acceptability not long after.

It's happened in Aus in under two years