Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Games console

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Leigh says i can have a games console. Been in town today looking around and the only one that took my fancy was the Xbox 360 with hard drive, BUT i'm wondering if it'd be worth waiting a few months for the PS3.

Any views ?

Comments

• Options
    no, xbox 360 is better although Wii is superior to all :D
  • Options
    Personally, I don't think it's worth waiting for the PS3.

I'd go for the 360. It's got a strong line up now with Gears of War, Viva Pinata etc.

There is the Wii but really it comes down to what kind of games you want to play.
  • Options
    Can you play Xbox games on an Xbox 360 ?
  • Options
    Well, going by the PS2 and xBox, I'd say it'll make little difference which you get as both share the majority of titles, and were quite well matched hardware-wise. The Wii is less advanced technologically, but it costs less and has a novel approach to user input. You'll see a totally different range of games on it. However...

the PS3 and 360 will likely have more games available. They'll be pretty evenly matched in both hardware and the range of titles available. The 360 plays many of the original xBox titles, is already available, and damned good on a decent TV.

As much as it pains me to say this, I'd sooner see my money go to Microsoft. I disagree with Sony on so many levels - I'm not a fan of a lot of Microsoft, but I'd take MS out of the two.

Batteries don't last long in the 360's wireless controller. I'd go for the cheaper package as it has a standard wired controller, and add the hard drive - either now, or wait for the price to come down.

If it were my, my money would go on the 360 or the Wii, depending on exactly what I wanted.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:

Some of them. There's a backwards compatibility list that they're adding to every six months or so.

As for the wireless controllers, you can get a rechargeable battery pack for them. They cut down the clutter of wires and you don't have to worry about some fanny tripping over the cable.

ETA: If you're still undecided, I'll try and answer in more depth later. Got to go to work now :o
  • Options
    The Wii is more 'family' friendly but the Xbox 360 is more 'serious' gaming. Gears of War has blood, blood and more blood ... nice! :p
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    no, xbox 360 is better

So you've played the PS3 to know this?

My little brother got a 360 premium system for Christmas and it's very impressive but think I'll still wait for the PS3, simply because in the face of competition Sony have always consistently impressed me console wise, and I expect it to continue.

Been playing Gears of War flat out since Christmas day. Fantastic game, but I've already finished it - insane mode now I think. :hyper:

Got Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon as well but I haven't been playing it because Gears of War has had me hooked. I love the gore and there's something very satisfying about using a torque bow to attach an explosive to an 8 foot tall beast, and watching it blow to pieces. :yum: The graphics and realism really draw you in as well, you actually feel emotionally drained after a hardcore gaming sesh.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    So you've played the PS3 to know this?

My little brother got a 360 premium system for Christmas and it's very impressive but think I'll still wait for the PS3, simply because in the face of competition Sony have always consistently impressed me console wise, and I expect it to continue.

Been playing Gears of War flat out since Christmas day. Fantastic game, but I've already finished it - insane mode now I think. :hyper:

Got Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon as well but I haven't been playing it because Gears of War has had me hooked. I love the gore and there's something very satisfying about using a torque bow to attach an explosive to an 8 foot tall beast, and watching it blow to pieces. :yum: The graphics and realism really draw you in as well, you actually feel emotionally drained after a hardcore gaming sesh.
    ooo i frogot i posted in here, yus i played ps3, tis pretty ok but i prefer 360, but over that i prefer wii.

GoW, brilliant, for a challenge try taking the bos out with a pistol ;) fudging hard.
  • Options
    I reckon thew ps3 is going to be the one to own..but i really hope sony fails and no-one buys it!
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    GoW, brilliant, for a challenge try taking the bos out with a pistol ;) fudging hard.

If you're talking about General Raam then it's fucking impossible.
  • Options
    Xbox 360 all the way.
  • Options
    Get a snes and supermario cart... all you need!
  • Options
    I spent a night playing the ps3 just before christmas at a mates house - looks like a betamax video, the games were awful and the decision to remove the weight and feel of the rumble in favour of six axis was laughable.

It really isn't anything better than the 360 (resistance fall of man was terrible - I can only assume games reviewers were brided - seriously). With a through the roof price for a failed format (the pc hd-dvd player is a bout 100 and that will destroy the blu-ray market) it isn't worth it and the initial games don't come close to the 360.

Seriously though RS, wait a bit and get a Wii, that plays like a dream and is great fun. Leave the 360 and ps3 enless your already into or like the look of current gen games - both the ps3 and 360 are simply better looking previous generation titles. Much as I love gears of war, dead rising, saint's row, etc - it's absolutely nothing that couldn't have been done on the previous gen at a lower resolution.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:

You can play some xbox games - but they are emulated, not properly supported (ps3 is doing the same) due to the different architecture inside the consoles.

This means a lot of games have strange control issues (Dead or Alive for example is almost unplayable on the 360)

A full list of emulated games is here -

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm
  • Options
    Thanks Jim. Yeah i've got my eye on a Wii, though they're a bit out my price range, what with all the extras, at the mo, but bound to come down in price like most things.

It's that situation you get in, where you want to buy a major piece of technology but hold on in case something better comes along but then something better will ALWAYS come along in a few months. :)
  • Options
    A wii is out of your price range yet youre looking at ps3's and xbox 360's?
    What planet are you on!?
  • Options
    maybe he has a low budget?
  • Options
    Well i can get a 360 premium + 3 games + 2 controllers for £280

A Wii basic is £350, plus games, extra controllers so maybe £500+
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    maybe he has a low budget?
    If that was it, the other two would be WAY out of his pocket. :confused:
  • Options
    A wii is 350???? What?
    It's 250 euros, only 170 or so in pounds I think.
  • Options
    That's what i was quoted at Game about 2 weeks ago, unless of course it's some super-mega package with 4 controllers and a load of games :)
  • Options
    Yes, i am on a budget. If i want something i have to go without other stuff and save up for it. It's took me nealry a year to save £300 so i want what's good and will last :)
  • Options
    It's £179 for a wii and one controller. You can buy another controller and two games for less than £300.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    It's £179 for a wii and one controller. You can buy another controller and two games for less than £300.
    And to add slightly to this, you get a free game with the console anyway, wii sports.
    By far the cheapest next gen console around!
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:

Oh right. Bloody Christmas staff :D
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    wii sports.

I was a wii sampler over christmas and this was the only game we could play. Could swear by the end of it I'd be world champion at tennis. :D
  • Options
    If the past two consoles are anything to go by, Nintendo reduce the price of their consoles pretty quickly after the initial rush, so I'd give it a while. I reckon by the time the PS3 comes out or fairly soon after, the Wii will have had a price cut. I think they're much cheaper to manufacture because they're not as advanced technically, so they should be able to afford to give you them dirt cheap once they've ripped off all the people stupid enough to pay full price (no offence anyone). Plus the second load of games from each maker are usually much better once they've gotten used to making games for it.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    360 or the Wii, depending on how serious you are about gaming, what type of games you want to play, and whether you want a good online service.
    I wouldn't wait for a PS3.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    hmm, tbh buy a wii just for twilight princess and red steal, it's so worth it for those two games alone, letalone the rest.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    hmm, tbh buy a wii just for twilight princess and red steal, it's so worth it for those two games alone, letalone the rest.
    Red Steel? I've not played it, but pretty much every reviewer says it sucks. Too buggy and too boring.