Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Nightmares?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Since Monday night I've been having nightmares. Dad went in for an emergency op two weeks ago, whilst he was in hospital I was worried and hardly slept, and since he came home (Monday) I've been sleeping right through the night but finding myself constantly tired and having either nightmares or dreams where something bad happens. The main theme is Dad dying in hospital, so I'm pretty sure it's all connected.

Before this, I've never had a dream I can remember, let alone a nightmare, so it's quite troubling.

Are there any sleeping tablets I could take (either prescibed or over the counter) that would eliminate these nightmares?

Comments

• Options
    Are there any sleeping tablets I could take (either prescibed or over the counter) that would eliminate these nightmares?

I doubt it. To my recollection you dream when you're 'light sleeping' and about to fall into deep sleep or just coming out of deep sleep so i doubt medication would help.

I'd imagine it's just the stress of your dad being poorly and hopping he gets better soon PLUS there's Christmas on top of that and the thought you might of lost your dad at Christmas. Maybe it's just a subconcious way of your brain letting go of some of the stress and crap.

Hope your dad's better soon.

X
  • Options
    I used to have nightmares and sometimes wake up and see things in my room (I saw giant insects in Nepal and freaked out). I don't know if nightmares are your mind's way of dealing with stress or something more subconscious...

I used to have anxiety, so I found that valerium tablets (the're natural) helped me sleep, as does a few drops of lavender on your pillow..

Not to sound superstitious, but I read somewhere that putting a knife under your materess also works... And actually it did work for me (maybe it was sbconscious).
  • Options
    Problem doesn't appear to have resolved itself yet.

Had an extremely weird nightmare last night/this morning that had nothing to do with my dad whatsoever.

I realise I'm under stress from Uni exams next week, work and struggling to keep horse, as it's taking me hours to get to sleep now, but this is ridiculous. First time in almost 19 years I've even remembered a dream, and it's a nightmare every time I sleep? Sucks. :(

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi Kate,
    I'm sorry to hear your nightmares are persisting. You might find our factsheet on dreams and nightmares helpful - particularly the section subtitled: Can there be other reasons for nightly frights? which has what seems to be a link to a really useful resource for people who experience ongoing night terrors

Hope this helps.
    Take care ;)
  • Options
    I had one about my teeth falling out last week, was damn nasty! When I have bouts of nightmares they generally don't last very long. Will probably go soon.
  • Options
    Around this time last year I started having terrible nightmares about something which happened a couple of years ago. I found that drinking chamomile tea before I went to bed really helped me- I still drink a cup now. The other thing I found really helpful was staying with my boyfriend so there was someone to reassure me if i woke up in the middle of the night. Saying that, my nightmares were really extreme to the point where I was hurting myself in my sleep... so the boy wanted me to be with him.

Try talking to someone- anyone you trust- about the theme of your nightmares. It might help your mind feel more at ease and less likely to play you up. I really hope you feel better and sleep well soon xXx
  • Options
    :lol: the opposite is usually true.
    some sleeping pills can actually cause nightmares. i seem to remember nytol contains something which causes problems like that. if you are stressed, things like nightmares are not uncommon. they will fade out eventually on their own and you will sleep when your body is knackered enough to make you. so although it sounds tough... put up with them.
  • Options
    I wake up screaming a few times a week, I recon it's stress and vodka. Do you drink?
  • Options
    About once a month if that and only a couple, so no not really.

Managed not to have one last night and I was up early yesterday, to bed quite late, up early this morning, so I'll try the tire myself out approach for a while.
  • Options
    i had really bad nightmares last year and my friend gave me an amethyst stone because aparently theyr supposed to help and it actually did i know its probably all a mind trick but it stopped mine and i was having them every night.
  • Options
    Fairy wrote:
    I had one about my teeth falling out last week, was damn nasty! When I have bouts of nightmares they generally don't last very long. Will probably go soon.
    I had one where my teeth fell out once. Also had one where half the skin fell of my nose?!

It's probably all due to stress, it's the brains way of trying to deal with it all. They should go away soon enough!
  • Options
    Sopycookie wrote:
    i had really bad nightmares last year and my friend gave me an amethyst stone because aparently theyr supposed to help and it actually did i know its probably all a mind trick but it stopped mine and i was having them every night.
    placebo effect :p