Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What's the most expensive/poshest/strangest thing you've eaten?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I really want to try truffles...that's why my next boyfriend needs to be a millionaire, they are about £50 for one tiny bit.

I ate monkfish and lobster in Vegas at the buffet at the Ballagio, they were nice and are probably the most expensive thing I've eaten.

Not really into wierd foods, I'm too fussy but my Dad worked in Egypt and had to eat a sheep's eye so he didn't offend the people offering it to him. :yum:

Comments

• Options
    Reindeer.. several Christmases ago. Was quite like parma ham :)
  • Options
    breakfast at a service station!
  • Options
    that expensive cavier, veal, venison, wild boar, chicken face soup, chickens feet, lobster...thats about all i can think of at the moment.
  • Options
    perhaps not the most pc food in the world but I love foie gras.
  • Options
    I remember having black truffle risotto when I was in Chicago in '97 :yum:

Didn't really appreciate its decadence back then and just scarfed it down; shame since I doubt I'll ever be able to afford anything similar again now my brother doesn't have his filthy rich in-laws to feed us all :p
  • Options
    perhaps not the most pc food in the world but I love foie gras.

forgot about the foie gras, love it!! mmm

its not any more/less cruel than dairy farming, and noone seems to have a problem with that.
  • Options
  • Options
    yes of course it is cruel, but a lot of farming methods are as you have said. i think most processes are examined these days and would like to think that they wouldnt be able to continue with them if they were really that bad.

and veal is mmm mm delicious, its more of a delicasy here than on the continent where its on most menu's.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I really want to try truffles...that's why my next boyfriend needs to be a millionaire, they are about £50 for one tiny bit.

I ate monkfish and lobster in Vegas at the buffet at the Ballagio, they were nice and are probably the most expensive thing I've eaten.

Not really into wierd foods, I'm too fussy but my Dad worked in Egypt and had to eat a sheep's eye so he didn't offend the people offering it to him. :yum:

Oooh Lobster - we had Lobsterfest in my second year at uni - but it was more a chance for comedy poses than anything else :) See below (not me!)

lobsterfest.jpg
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    lobsterfest.jpg

At first i thought she had crabs ! Ba doom kish
  • Options
  • Options
    Well it's illegal to produce FG in this country, and with good reason! The ways in which people try to justify its manufacture really stick in my craw.

Essentially force feeding geese that have no gag reflex via a tube in order to achieve a grotesquely enlarged "fatty" liver is just beyond my comprehension, I think anyone who had seen footage of its production would have to agree. Obviously we all have different tastes and different levels of sensitivity when it comes to animals, but it certainly doesn't get me licking my lips.
  • Options
    Fuck I didn't even know what it was. I remember being told about it when I was younger when I was about 7 or 8 (way before I became a vegimite) and i cried for ages because I was so sad. Its horrible
  • Options
    you see the thing with foie gras is that i have seen the videos of its production and yes it is quite shocking, but still its something that i'll eat. i dont think its because im insensitive to animals or anything, as i love the majority of animals, its just one of those things, some people are more effected than others.

i could quite happily kill and eat a animal if i had to, which im sure a lot of people couldnt do.

i think that if you are happy to eat something you should be happy to do the process that goes before it yourself.
  • Options
    Expensive? I dunno, probably the dinners I have on holiday at bistros, they usually go up quite high. Poshest, well I intentionally try to avoid posh restaurants where everyone have to act so mature and can't loosen up.

IMHO, the ultra-fancy five star restaurants aren't better than picturesque and humble ones, and I often find that the food in the latter is so much better, choose it over the former anyday. :)

And regarding the veal, I never knew that. Fortunately I don't really have veal, but I shouldn't say this because I'd be having double standards then. I have had countless amount of meat courses in the past. I guess the ethical part of meat hasn't really affected me. *shrugs*

ETA: and yes, I'd slaughter the animal before eating it if I had to.
  • Options
    The strangest thing I've eaten is live Sea Urchin...
  • Options
    I don't think I've eaten anything expensive/posh/strange really hehe.
  • Options
    The strangest thing I've eaten is live Sea Urchin...
    Live? :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    Not quite as exotic but in my last restaurant I worked at I had as a special; tarragon risotto with scallops drizzled with white truffle oil.
  • Options
    Not quite as exotic but in my last restaurant I worked at I had as a special; tarragon risotto with scallops drizzled with white truffle oil.

that sounds bloody well nice, i'd order that if i saw it. mmm
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    that sounds bloody well nice, i'd order that if i saw it. mmm

A snip at only £22.00!!!!!!
  • Options
    Sushi.

Tasted like my first girlfriend :yuck:
  • Options
    Am i the only person who thinks truffels are overrated?

I can't think what the poshest thing i have ever eaten is - I have eaten in quite a few posh restaurants in my time though so I can't really think which is THE poshest i went to this one in london in the summer where there was one person who's entire job was to just open the door to the Toilets for you and a glass of wine was £14. However the food was amasingly good (all far easten) and we got it for free which kind of made up for the expensivness of the wine. But in general the staff in posh places are so up thier own asses they look down on you the whole time for being not as posh as them I tend to find.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I had 'Praire Oysters' (bulls testicles in batter) and battered Rattle Snake in Arizona. Rattle snake was good, the 'Prarie Oysters' wern't.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Anybody had Tripe?
    My gran used to cook it for me as a kid and I always hated it. Recently tried it again though and foudn it not as bad. I still wouldn't pay for though.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Anybody had Tripe?
    My gran used to cook it for me as a kid and I always hated it. Recently tried it again though and foudn it not as bad. I still wouldn't pay for though.

I thought it was only dogs that ate that?!
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Live? :mad: :mad:
    Well, it was live for as long as it takes to crack it open and scrape out the insides... :lol: :yes:
  • Options
    I've had veal and lobster and they were both delicious.

The strangest thing I've eaten is a piece of dead raw jellyfish when I was at the beach with my friends a few years ago. It was a dare of sorts.
  • Options
    I agree with Vicky- the most expensive thing I've eaten was a breakfast at a motorway service station!

I'm not sure what the poshest thing is. I had monkfish washed down with copious amounts of kir royale and cosmopolitan at a restaurant in Newcastle earlier on this year, but that was the cheapest thing I've had because Accenture paid for it:D
  • Options
    I think the poshest was at a place called Miju, in central London, about £70 a head but amazing food.

I've had all the usual expensive foods, lobster, foie gras, veal, boar etc. Veal has a bad reputation here, but actually there are loads of calfs which are destroyed because they are not needed which go to waste.

I think the oddest food I've had was biltong which is nasty, or smoked eal which is amazing.