Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Rolling fags

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
heya i normally just smoke fags from a packet but i want to start rolling them as they seem to taste better (& its cheaper:) )
any tips on how to do it?! because right now i think i'm a bit rubbish at it...
Also, do you need something at the start of it to act as a sort of filter?

Comments

• Options
    buy filters, i sometimes smoke rollies when im a bit skint like.

go for swan slim filters, i find green rizla's a bit crap, go for the thinner blue ones, when i first started rolling i wasnt putting enought tabacco in, so put too much in if possible.
  • Options
    thanks, also (i have the green rizla:/) the rizla doesnt seem to stick very well, is that just cause the greens crap or something else (i'm just rubish at sticking it together)?
  • Options
    like i said, im not a big fan of greens. just make sure you get all the strip wet, dont want a bit sticking less than the rest, also make sure you use the right side! hah
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    As above really.

Space the baccy as evenly as possible, roll it round (not too much ,too tight is just as bad as loose) and tuck the paper in.

Blues are best. Swan filters yup. Takes a litle practice then you get the nack. I daresay no time and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Blues are best.

Are they fuck. Yes they may taste better but they burn like shit, are like grease proof paper, and gak right up.

Rollies taste better, last longer, are not as bad for you and they're cheaper. Can't go wrong really. I've given up save for social smoking and duty free baccy is what I smoke.
    Tips are a good idea but personally I prefer them without. And it's got to be Golden V above anything, though white Drum is alright too.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    do you have to use a filter? or can you just roll the tabacco in the paper and smoke it like that?
  • Options
    You don't have to use a filter, I wouldn't go without personally but plenty of people do (and I have in desperate filter-less times and lived to tell the tale ;))

I've always used green rizla for tabs and never had any problems, and I would second the rec for GV, far and away the best baccy. Hmm let's see, overfill rather than underfill and other than that practise makes perfect. I was crap at rolling for ages and then I just suddenly got the hang of it. It's not rocket science honest but there's definitely a knack :thumb:
  • Options
    I sometimes roll them for nmm, although he complains they look too much like spliffs from the freak brothers comics - all round in the middle and thin at the ends :lol:
    Still, I think hes lucky to find a non smoker who can do them at all tbh.
    He always uses silver rizla, or blue if they dont have silver.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Are they fuck. Yes they may taste better but they burn like shit, are like grease proof paper, and gak right up.

Rollies taste better, last longer, are not as bad for you and they're cheaper. Can't go wrong really. I've given up save for social smoking and duty free baccy is what I smoke.
    Tips are a good idea but personally I prefer them without. And it's got to be Golden V above anything, though white Drum is alright too.

Indeed, Cutters Choice isn't too shabby either.
    I use blue kings for spliffs but I always use greens for my rollies.
    Filters aren't neccesary, you can use a roach (a rolled up bit of cardboard) or you can go without either but as Briggi said, it's nasty and only for desperate times.
  • Options
    I smoke rollies when I'm skint, drum gold or golden v, and I normally use silver skins. little ones. but then I roll joints with skins, and I always roll dead skinny cigs. Rolling machines are quite good but I never use one.
  • Options
    I smoke cutters choice and it's great. Skive is right about the blue papers, minging!

Also Skive: I was listening to 'In Complete Darkness' just as I read you post!

HARDCORE WILL NEVER DIE!!!! :)
  • Options
    I smoke cutters choice and it's great. Skive is right about the blue papers, minging!

Also Skive: I was listening to 'In Complete Darkness' just as I read you post!

HARDCORE WILL NEVER DIE!!!! :)

Where are you from in the Forest?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

Rollies taste better, last longer, are not as bad for you and they're cheaper. Can't go wrong really.

my mate smokes 25 rollies a day. he was at the doctor, and the doctor was asking him about smoking. He said 'yea i smoke 25 a day, but it's rollies so it's not as bad'. The doctor told him that rollies were actually worse for you and it's a myth that they're better...
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    my mate smokes 25 rollies a day. he was at the doctor, and the doctor was asking him about smoking. He said 'yea i smoke 25 a day, but it's rollies so it's not as bad'. The doctor told him that rollies were actually worse for you and it's a myth that they're better...

They have more tar, but less toxic chemicals, and you smoke no where near as much tobacco in rollie as you do in a cigerette.

Have a look at the cheicals found in cigerettes...
    http://quitsmoking.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.csn.ul.ie%2F%7Estephen%2Freports%2Fbc4927.html

Whilst I'm sure many if those can be found in rolling tobacco, I'm sure many of them are also additives only found in tailor mades.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Either way they're both pretty bad, the question of what's worse is like asking if it's more fatal to fall from a plane at 1000 feet or 5000 feet.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Am I the only one who finds it really hard to roll with a filter in it already? I prefer to roach rollies like joints, dunno why. Anyways, practice makes perfect. Not that hard once you get the hang of things.
  • Options
    Better to smoke with a filter in but yeah I know what you mean about rolling. I wouldn't say it's hard, but annoying because you need to put more baccy in otherwise the baccy doesn't like cover the height of the filter and it goes floppy.
  • Options
    I don't smoke tobacco either, so when I rolled a few as practice for a friend they looked like my spliffs :P Like a trumpet, small at the filter, and then cone-like upwards :P I am nowhere near a master myself, but I found it easier to firstly 'glue' the filter in with the gluey stripe, otherwise it keeps flipping and rolling around, when you try to make the tobacco ... like a "pillar"?

fuck I lack the cigarettovocabulary... :(

*leaves thread*
  • Options
    i always thought rollies had no tar in, i thought the tar was used to hold the tabacco together in an already rolled fag, how strang, i never knew how dumb i was haha
    mine look like spliffs without a filter but with one they look alright although it can be hard putting the filter in:/
    o well tastes better in the end(i think anyway) :)
  • Options
    personally, i prefer smoking normal fags from a packet, i find it tastes nicer and feeds my cravings alot better than rollies do.

but in desperte times, rollies are always good haha.

p.s if you dont have filters, make a roach, rip a bit of card off your rizla pack, roll it up and use that, it gives you something to keep all the baccy going into your mouth because it tastes terrible haha:thumb:
  • Options
    I go through phases, I'll prefer the taste of tailor cigarettes for about a month and only smoke rollies if I need to, then the next month it'll be the opposite way round, I'll love the taste of rollies and really not like the taste of tailors. It's strange.
  • Options
    has to be EXTRA-slim swan filters, sometimes the shop has same flip top looking packet with SLIM filters, these are WRONG. drum gold. silver skins. I roll my rollies thin, but if you're learning, then I guess thicker gives you more to press against.

open out rizla sticky side furthest away from you but facing, place filter left side (the other way is cack-handed), pull your tobacco so there are no clumps and place evenly in rizzla, spread out with finger if required, pick up rizzla with thumb and forefinger either side, roll front edge of rizzla down to where tobacco and rizzla meet, move fingers around so that rizzla and baccy are held by forefinger and middle finger behind, like the rizzla sticky, put thumb under the tube of tobacco, use forefinger to nudge rizla edge under whislt rolling up with your thumb, admire your handwork, smoke.
  • Options
    playdead wrote:
    heya i normally just smoke fags from a packet but i want to start rolling them as they seem to taste better (& its cheaper:) )

Taste better?! Are you mad?
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Taste better?! Are you mad?

It's true.
    Weekender Offender