Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How different?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've already posted (ages ago) a thread on whether you'd date somebody with different morals than you, but how far would you go?

For example, say you met a really sweet guy or lady, would you go out with them if you found out their were homophobic?

Where do you draw the line? Are you picky about your partner's morals?

For example, I'd prefer to go out with a vegetarian or vegan, but could just about handle a meat eater... But I don't think I could be with somebody with a passion for fur.

Comments

• Options
    I'm a very strong aithiest, I dont think i could handle someone VERY religious. I would be okay if they belived in god and such, but i couldnt live with somone who takes religion as a major part of their life.

Dont get me wrong, I dont not like people who are religious I just think that it would be very weird.

I seem like a close-minded twat now.
  • Options
    I've already posted (ages ago) a thread on whether you'd date somebody with different morals than you, but how far would you go?

For example, say you met a really sweet guy or lady, would you go out with them if you found out their were homophobic?

Where do you draw the line? Are you picky about your partner's morals?

For example, I'd prefer to go out with a vegetarian or vegan, but could just about handle a meat eater... But I don't think I could be with somebody with a passion for fur.

For me, it would depend on how homophobic they are. If they went around beating up gays on the street then HELL NO. But if they had that stupid and immature inclination to think that every gay man wants to do them up the arse then I would laugh at them for their ignorence and tease them a bit. I wouldn't dump them over it.
  • Options
    Onyxfalcon wrote:
    I'm a very strong aithiest, I dont think i could handle someone VERY religious. I would be okay if they belived in god and such, but i couldnt live with somone who takes religion as a major part of their life.
    You couldn't date me then :p

I, in turn, would have no problem dating an atheist, as long as he respected my beliefs and the place religion has in my life.

But as I see it religion is different from morals. I most definitely couldn't date people with morals too different to mine: homophobics, people who think poor people are poor because they are lazy :rolleyes: , people who justify human rights abuses, male chauvinists, dishonest people, people who don't give a toss about what happens to the rest of humankind... to name a few.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    For me, it would depend on how homophobic they are. If they went around beating up gays on the street then HELL NO. But if they had that stupid and immature inclination to think that every gay man wants to do them up the arse then I would laugh at them for their ignorence and tease them a bit. I wouldn't dump them over it.
    Yeah, me too actually on the homophobic bit, this represents me 100%.
  • Options
    I could never go out with anyone that doesn't give a toss about the fur trade, blood sports and animal cruelty.
    Religion is a big thing too, I wouldn't mind someone who has a faith but I couldn't change my agnostic views for neither love or money. I couldn't see a relationship with a very religious person working, for me
    Most other thngs I could handle as long as they didn't preech their morals onto others and try to change me or others.
  • Options
    It's not a question of lines, for me anyway, in general, if you disagree on things that are important, it just won't work.
  • Options
    I have a few guidlines.

I have the bad habit of looking down on overweight people when they aren't doing any excercise except the walk to the fridge.

I don't care about vegetarian of meat eater, but as I eat meat myself it would be comfortable so you don't have to cook twice.

I couldn't be with some Eco-fanatic who wants to forbid me to drive my car because of the exhausts (i don't have a car! just as an example), who want me to donate for 13 charity organizations when I am starving at home.

Generally ignorrant people. You'll find them everywhere, but I tend to look around at educated people like people who are on uni, college or at least graduated from grammar school.

Might sound stupid, but I can't imagine being with someone who likes techno music or go to raves. Just not my thing that would be too different.

I dunno, I seem odd.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    I don't care about vegetarian of meat eater, but as I eat meat myself it would be comfortable so you don't have to cook twice.

Haha. How's about you do the cooking then, wise guy!?

I'm vegetarian and hold fairly strong views about animal rights, the environment and my views on a lot of other things have an extreme feminist slant. I don't ask - or require - my other half to have all the same values (or to the same extent, anyway) but it does help of course. My current boyfriend has the most similar morals and values of any bloke I've been out with, but we do disagree on a lot of things and he is an absolute omnivore which is no problem. The way I look at it is that as long as he's not running around shouting racist, homophobic or sexist nonsense - which he isn't - then I actually find it makes life more interesting than it would be if we agreed on everything.

That said, we do have the same political values, which is pretty important to me as my longest-term relationship was with a very right-wing young man. I remember I used to get very upset sometimes over the way we felt so differently about issues that were very important to the both of us. However, to look at it another way, that obviously does go to show that if you love someone and have other things in common then you can make a relationship [kind of] work [for a while]. I guess the difference there is that when we met we were very young and hadn't really developed our strong moral and political beliefs, which grew respectively throughout the relationship... in completely different directions ;)
  • Options
    I'm more bothered about what they do rather than what they think and feel. Like it wouldn't be a huge issue going out with someone who's a little bit racist, but if they started racially abusing the bloke in the takeaway, then I would think they were a cunt and fuck them off.

But it's also down to why they think what they think. If you ask them to justify their opinion on something, and it's something I can respect even if I don't agree with it, then that'd be fine. If they came up with some half-arsed reason and refused to justify it, then I'd think they were a bit of a twat when it comes to that. And if I thought they were a bit of a twat in enough different areas, then it'd probably put me off them. If it was just a couple of things, I'd just take the piss out of them and have a laugh.

And if they swore too much. :p
  • Options
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Haha. How's about you do the cooking then, wise guy!?

I do! wise lass.

I meant it as: If she is not vegetarian I can cook ONE meaty meal for both of us.

Eat your words, NOW!
  • Options
  • Options
    i dont think having the total same beliefs is important at all, for eg, im totally not religion at all, in fact most religions irritate me, but that wouldnt mean i couldnt date someone who had a religious background, as long as they didnt force it upon me.

i love meat, and dating a vegan or vegie wouldnt be much of a problem for me as i quite like a lot of different stuff, but i wouldnt stop eating meat for them. its their loss if they dont want meat.

im not a big fan of swearing from the ladies, and will sometimes comment if its over the top swearing, but i can just about live with it.

racism is a big no no no no for me, i cant stand it in any form, so it would probably end there.

homophobia, if its just a jokey way i can usually live with it, like said earlier if it involved beating the gays up i wouldnt be a bit fan.
  • Options
    Onyxfalcon wrote:

Dont get me wrong, I dont not like people who are religious I just think that it would be very weird.

I seem like a close-minded twat now.

I don't think you sound like a 'close-minded-twat' - I understand what you're asying and am exactly the same.
  • Options
    Don't really care for the most part. Couldn't stand living with someone who is racist/homophobic and shoves it down my and other people's throats but if they hold those beliefs personally and never actually outwardly showed any hate towards people from a different race or sexual orientation then that's no problem for me.

Suppose I'm not that fussy, but Man Utd supporters, then can fuck right away off! ;)
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Suppose I'm not that fussy, but Man Utd supporters, then can fuck right away off! ;)
    Oh shit I forgot about that. Yeah Man Utd fans can get fucked straight away. I'd be able to smell them a mile away though anyway.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    I do! wise lass.

I meant it as: If she is not vegetarian I can cook ONE meaty meal for both of us.

Eat your words, NOW!
    What about cooking a tasty vegetarian meal?

I'm sure you would use halal if you were dating a Muslim, or kosha if you were dating a Jew (is it offensive to call somebody a 'Jew'?).
  • Options
    I couldn't be with some Eco-fanatic who wants to forbid me to drive my car because of the exhausts (i don't have a car! just as an example), who want me to donate for 13 charity organizations when I am starving at home.
    Just the same as I couldn't be with somebody who doesn't care for the environment, or who is too lazy to walk anywhere so they think they have to drive. :p

I agree though, sometimes people can be too extreme.
  • Options
    What would make me not like somone who is religious is if they were mad at me for not conforming to their beliefs, I wouldn't want to waist my time going to church or not eating meat on fridays becuase it is the lords day or anything like that. If she wished to, that would be find, but if she put her beliefs about god above her family and friends, thats when it would start to irritate me.

I'm not againsts religion totally, most things in the bible are the right thing to do, no killing, no stealing, no lying ect.. But things like worshipping god and praying I just cant get to grips with. I guess it give them peace of mind?

More on topic, what would put me off is if she was homophobic or had strong beliefs towards things I strongly dissagreed on such as hunting for fun or hurting people for no reason.
  • Options
    What about cooking a tasty vegetarian meal?

I'm sure you would use halal if you were dating a Muslim, or kosha if you were dating a Jew (is it offensive to call somebody a 'Jew'?).

Oh yea. I would cook veggie too from time to time, but I am not becoming a vegan just because of another person. I like meat from time to time and so I want to cook it for me too.

Dunno about dating people who alter their lifestyle/dietry because of religion, never thought about it.
    or who is too lazy to walk anywhere so they think they have to drive.

I hate that too. It was just an example. Like vegetarians give me shit, because I eat meat, or someone who gives me a stern for smoking because pregnant women are working on the fields in 3rd world countries (I don't smoke, just another example)...

Basically if someone believes in something I do not, and they make it to their task to change me.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    Oh yea. I would cook veggie too from time to time, but I am not becoming a vegan just because of another person. I like meat from time to time and so I want to cook it for me too.

Dunno about dating people who alter their lifestyle/dietry because of religion, never thought about it.

I hate that too. It was just an example. Like vegetarians give me shit, because I eat meat, or someone who gives me a stern for smoking because pregnant women are working on the fields in 3rd world countries (I don't smoke, just another example)...

Basically if someone believes in something I do not, and they make it to their task to change me.
    But then if somebody really liked you they would not try to change you...

Pregnant women work in tobacco fields? Just out of curiousity, can I see something on that? I need an excuse to stop smoking (again).
  • Options
    But then if somebody really liked you they would not try to change you...

Pregnant women work in tobacco fields? Just out of curiousity, can I see something on that? I need an excuse to stop smoking (again).

I have no source whatsoever, I just heard about it in biology that the working in tobacco fields alter the women's circle/cycle (or however you call it), because of... ugh If I knew. I'm unsure about the preggie women tho. I was just kind of talking out of my anal cavity, but there might be something to it if I'm not wrong.

maybe a google search brings some results.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    I have no source whatsoever, I just heard about it in biology that the working in tobacco fields alter the women's circle/cycle (or however you call it), because of... ugh If I knew. I'm unsure about the preggie women tho. I was just kind of talking out of my anal cavity, but there might be something to it if I'm not wrong.

maybe a google search brings some results.

Yeah will... Ta.

I just need that one good reason to give up. :) The health reason is not working.
  • Options
    I don't think I would ever be able to go out with anyone who was even the tiniest bit racist. If I knew they felt that way, even if they didn't act racist, I'd have to kick them to the kerb. My sister is half-cast, and I've seen the shit she's been through, and can't stick it.

On a lighter note. I wouldn't be able to date someone who was into hardcore rave music either. Its just totally different to what I'm into, and doubt it would work.

If i found a guy who was a vegetarian though, this wouldn't bother me. I could respect that, and it wouldn't jeopardise anything.
  • Options
    not to pick a discussion, but as it seems you are the kind of girl I would not go out with moonrat :P

I hope that wasn't too insulting.
  • Options
    I wouldn't go out with anyone who was even slightly homophobic or religious.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    not to pick a discussion, but as it seems you are the kind of girl I would not go out with moonrat :P

I hope that wasn't too insulting.
    ditto
  • Options
    Homophobic, rasist, and overly religious are all no-nos. I can cope with someones who religious but I dont want their belifs shoved down my thoart, because I dont preech mine to anyone.
  • Options
    I'm not that restricted when it comes to the moral bits, but when it starts getting to the extreme, I'd have to consider leaving them. When you're staying with someone in the long term, I think it's important that you are at least in harmony with each other and have slightly congenial opinions (doesn't have to be a perfect match, I believe differences are good for stimulation and I would never want to be with someone exactly like me, naturally enough).
  • Options
    I can't say I have a checklist of acceptable and unacceptable views - if you like someone then surely you like them regardless of what their mental faculties have deduced about the world around them, however much you agree/disagree.