Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Christmas Cake

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Who's having homemade and who's having shop bought?
My brother made ours (with help from my grandma) and he's finishing icing it now.

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Homemade all the way - I usually put the marzipan on - and eat half of it in the process. :yum:
  • Options
    I cant begin to imagine what mothers cooking would be like making one. :yuck:
  • Options
    Neither, cause it's horrible :p

Christmas pudding though, is a different story!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I have made my cake and I am periodically feeding it brandy :yum: Will ice and marzipan it in a week or so. I made it way back in October so it will have been fed muchos brandy :D

Have also made Christmas puddings and we tried one 2 days ago. It was delicious :yum:
  • Options
    I I made it way back in October so it will have been fed muchos brandy :D

How long do they keep for? Can you keep christmas puddings that long, if so i might stock up :D
    I swear my grandma used to do that when i was little because everytime we went round hers for dinner i always had christmas pudding with custard and wondered how she managed it.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    ruby_soho wrote:
    How long do they keep for? Can you keep christmas puddings that long, if so i might stock up :D
    I swear my grandma used to do that when i was little because everytime we went round hers for dinner i always had christmas pudding with custard and wondered how she managed it.

The recipe I followed said I could keep my puddings for 3 months. The cake could be kept for longer. I'm sure some people make puddings in December / whenever for the following Christmas. It depends on the recipe but most will keep.
  • Options
    I never got round to making my cake so Im going to make Christmas truffles instead :)
  • Options
    He burnt the 1st one he made but we ate the edible bits and it was lovely. He's made a replacement since.
  • Options
    My mum makes hers every year, although I did have a slice of a nice one from Tescos, it didnt beat homemade. Her mince pies are tops as well.
  • Options
    I made one and er... we ate it. :D And I never made another. But MIL has made one so she'll probably give us a chunk of that....
  • Options
    We used to make one every year during half term (bout October), but none of us really ate it that much, so we gave up. We just make a choc yule cake and get a yummy xmas pudding from the farmers market, mmmmmmmm
  • Options
    My God, how well in advance you people cook and prepare stuff! I wouldn't be even dreaming of cooking anything before a maximum of a week before the event itself :p
  • Options
    Anyway we don't have Christmas cake over here... We usually have a nice desert involving lots of delicious fresh fruit and ice cream :D since it's hot and also the season the best fruit is out: strawberries, raspberries, melon, peaches, watermelons, plums, cherries... you name it! :yum:
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    I never got round to making my cake so Im going to make Christmas truffles instead :)
    Mmm, that sounds delicious, how do you make them Shaz?
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    Mmm, that sounds delicious, how do you make them Shaz?
    16 digestive biscuits
    1 large tin of condensed milk
    2 tablespoons of shredded coconut
    6 heaped table spoons of drinking chocolate
    (Nesquik or Cadbury.. but NOT cocoa)
    Glace cherries, chopped
    shredded coconut, or sprinklies to cover

Crush the biscuits together until smooth
    Mix the chocolate, coconut, cherries and crushed bistcuits together in a bowl
    Add the tinned milk
    Combine them all together until you end up with a sticky dough
    Put the mix in the fridge to cool and become less sticky to handle (around 10 mins)
    Roll the dough into little balls, roll in coconut/chocolate sprinkles and place in little paper cupcake cups
    Keep in fridge to harden up (around 20 mins)

:)
  • Options
    Hey thanks, I'll try that :D
  • Options
    christmas cake/pud and mince pies are yak. Glittery's things sound nice though. round yours for crimbo dinner?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    round yours for crimbo dinner?
    If you like yeah, although Im going to my Mums for dinner so you might be lonely :p