Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

down loading Vista RTM

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    You think that? So say, farmers could all agree to sell thier meat at £1,000,000 pound a cut and force anyone who can't afford it starve to death? It is thier right after all, they raise the cattle.

No, because you're ignoring market forces. The farmer can't sell for that because noone will buy it. Microsoft, however, can sell their OS for a few hundred because people will buy it. Admittedly, it'll probably be businesses and system developers, but this is their core market anyway.

Teh_Gerbil wrote:

But if I don't upgrade, I can't run any new programs or games after they stop supporting XP.

Boo Hoo. Actually you could, because you wouldn't have to have "ultimate" edition, or whatever it's called. You could get a cheaper edition. Your problem is that you can't be arsed paying for the OS at all. You're using ridiculous extreme arguments to justify a fairly indefensible position that you just want the OS for free.
    It isn't force in the true sense of hte world - like the above example - I could raid peopels bins for scraps of food. But it still isn't acceptable IMHO.

It isn't force at all, because you don't have to buy the expensive version. Just like you don't have to have a Porsche in order to be able to drive.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Wow. I don't want to live in your extreme capitalist world.

So end it all. Or move to a different country, where you agree more with their laws.
    But if I don't upgrade, I can't run any new programs or games after they stop supporting XP.

Tough. Want to run the newer versions of games or programs, then pay for the latest OS. Don't want to pay? Move to something else.

I can see no valid argument for pirating an OS. It isn't like you need it to breathe, or eat. You choose to have a computer, you choose which OS you use. There is no genuine reason why you NEED to use a pirated copy of Vista - Win2k and WinXP should do pretty much everything you're likely to need.

Want != Need
    Desire != Dependency

Grow up.
  • Options
    I have a pirated copy of XP on this machine, but that was purely out of convenience as my CD was at home and I was at Uni :p. We have three / four licences in total (buying too many machines :p) so if there ever was an argument I could just show them one of them.

As for the XP + Vista for £75 dealie, spoke to someone and it is legitimate. You have to buy hardware with it though. I'm just double checking right now though :).

But it might be nice to have MCE for a few months.
  • Options
    Ok would like to confirm 100% now that as long as on the invoice you have some hardware satisfying the 'OEM Software' agreement then you can do business :thumb: and get the free upgrade (well, you have to pay p&p) to Vista.

All for just £75.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    So end it all. Or move to a different country, where you agree more with their laws.

Tough. Want to run the newer versions of games or programs, then pay for the latest OS. Don't want to pay? Move to something else.

I can see no valid argument for pirating an OS. It isn't like you need it to breathe, or eat. You choose to have a computer, you choose which OS you use. There is no genuine reason why you NEED to use a pirated copy of Vista - Win2k and WinXP should do pretty much everything you're likely to need.

Want != Need
    Desire != Dependency

Grow up.

I have two genuine versions of XP.

You see no valid argument for pirating an OS? Well, you are obviously blind. How about... once I've bought it once, I shouldn't have to pay again, but with XP I was forced to. As for Vista, I fail to see why I should pay that much. MS has a huge profit margin. It is gigantic. They could release it at a reasonable price and - shock horror - maybe the high up executive could just cut thier wage a little. Say, from 10 million to 5 million? Or is that a proposterous thing to ask?

Grow up? Fuck off.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I have two genuine versions of XP.

You see no valid argument for pirating an OS? Well, you are obviously blind. How about... once I've bought it once, I shouldn't have to pay again,

Eh? Care to explain that?

Or perhaps you think that we should be entitled to free everything, forever, once we have bought one of those things?

Why should I pay for clothes? I bought some trousers when I was 5, all the rest of my trousers should be free.

Why should I buy a new car? I bought this car from you just a few years ago, you should give me a new one for free, because it's better than my old one.

but with XP I was forced to.

There's that forced word again, that noone is actually doing to you.
    As for Vista, I fail to see why I should pay that much. MS has a huge profit margin. It is gigantic. They could release it at a reasonable price and - shock horror - maybe the high up executive could just cut thier wage a little. Say, from 10 million to 5 million? Or is that a proposterous thing to ask?

They've evaluated the market and released it at what they consider to be a suitable price point. As Shyboy has spoken about, it's available for cheaper.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    You see no valid argument for pirating an OS? Well, you are obviously blind. How about... once I've bought it once, I shouldn't have to pay again, but with XP I was forced to.

Did Microsoft put a gun to your head and make you hand over the money? Or did you choose to give your cash to them because:-

A. You couldn't find your installation media, or product code?
    B. You upgraded your hardware and could no longer activate it online?

If it was the latter, you should have pursued the matter with Microsoft. If it was the first, then you should have looked harder.
    As for Vista, I fail to see why I should pay that much.

Because that is what they charge. You want it? Pay them for their product.
    MS has a huge profit margin. It is gigantic. They could release it at a reasonable price and - shock horror - maybe the high up executive could just cut thier wage a little. Say, from 10 million to 5 million? Or is that a proposterous thing to ask?

Yeah, Microsoft make a lot of money. They also spend a lot of time producing their software - why should you get it for free? A PS3 is a lot of money. A Lamborghini is a lot of money. Should you be entitled to those for free? Or should they give you a new PS3 because you have an original PlayStation? Or should you have a Murcielago because you bought an old Jalpa back in 1983?

You don't have to fund their money-making machine. You choose to use their products - they are NOT a necessity unless you CHOOSE them to be. And if you choose to use them, then you should pay for them.

I like to use my motorbike. I already own it, along with my leathers, helmet, and everything else I need. Should I stop paying for fuel, insurance and road tax just because I've already used it once? Or should I continue to pay the ongoing costs for the product I use?

If I want a new motorbike, should I just go out and steal one? They are hugely overpriced, after all. There can only be a few hundred quids worth of plastic, metal and rubber. How can they justify the £7k it costs for a FireBlade? As I already own a motorbike, why can't I have a new one for free?
    Grow up? Fuck off.

Oooh... can't fight your argument sensibly, so you have to request my departure from this thread and use profanities at the same time. Not the actions of a sensible adult, are they?
  • Options
    Did Microsoft put a gun to your head and make you hand over the money? Or did you choose to give your cash to them because:-

A. You couldn't find your installation media, or product code?
    B. You upgraded your hardware and could no longer activate it online?

If it was the latter, you should have pursued the matter with Microsoft. If it was the first, then you should have looked harder.

He has a point if you think about it.

If you have three computers, say a basic desktop machine, a media centre machine and a notebook, you need three seperate licences for each machine, even though you can only possibly be using one at each time (well, unless you like multitasking, but thats not the point).

I think licences should be given out on a per-person basis rather than a per-computer. Then again, a family wouldn't want to buy 5 licences for mum dad and the three kids.

Mind you, in the 'olden days' if I bought a game I would happily let my brother play it. These days he'll need to buy his own copy because they're restricted to a single person (world of warcraft, battlefield series, half life / counter strike / DoD).

*shrug*

I told Scan about the guy offering to give me it for £75 and then said that yea, they could send me the OEM version, but the problem is when I send it off to Microsoft I need a 'PC number' that was assembled by them, and if I don't have it Microsoft might not honour it.

So for the time being, I'm just going to wait, they're bringing out an academic upgrade anyway. I wonder... if I have a licence registered to an old broken notebook how much hassle would it be to use that licence, to upgrade my new computer, bearing in mind the licence is no longer active on the notebook.

This thread has gone quite off topic :)
  • Options
    Oooh... can't fight your argument sensibly, so you have to request my departure from this thread and use profanities at the same time. Not the actions of a sensible adult, are they?

You started the insults mate, with grow up. "Fuck off" means I can't be bothered with your little insult games, although you continue above.

Insulting someone is hardly the actions of a grown adult trying to have a debate is it? I fail to see Blair or Cameron saying to the other "I dislike your NHS policy, and you smell like a mouldy shoe!"

XP - Various issues - hardware, failiure of SP2 to work at all, one of our keys managed to disapeer (good job we had one). I downloaded XP SP2 integrated nad used my original key. And OMG, it worked. I have used MS customer support before, and found them to be... well, on occasion helpful, on occasion just decided to be absolutley useless, namely with Win 98 and 2k issues. Thier game support is cracking though, I must say.

As has been pointed out before, stealing a physical object like a bike or petrol is actually rather different from piracy. In a big way. If you cna be bothered, look up those threads. I agree, they cannot justify the prices, and it should be different. Unfortunatley capitalism dictates it is ok to exploit like this.

Mist, kindly don't remove a comment from context. Even CTSM didn't do that with the XP comment. It was referring to once I have XP, I shouldn't need to buy it again. I didn't say "I have XP therefore Vista should be free."

Yes, Vista is availible cheaper.

I am not trying to say that Piracy is OK - I do intend once in am onetary situation where it is possible to buy everything I want to do so - I have stated this before. However, for now, that isn't so easy. It is just my view that, because of my cash situation, I shouldn't suffer disadvantages. Especially when things are priced with gigantic unessary profit margins that are not justifiable. Why can MS do this? Market Dominance. Alternatives for what I want to do are NOT availible. I daresay after Vista has been out a while, people will stop supporting XP like happened with 98 and 2k. However, by then, I should be able to afford it - 2 years I reackon? As such, hopefully, this argument will not happen again.

If I do see a Borg-esque version on torrent however, I shall get it ASAP, regardless of owning genuine. Because XP Borg was simply ace.

The idea of getting a free PS3 is nice. Although I don't buy consoles due to the stupid markup of console games which makes them an entire rip off. Long live emulation! Sony/Nintendo whoever still get my profits from the game, but I don't need a console!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I am not trying to say that Piracy is OK - I do intend once in am onetary situation where it is possible to buy everything I want to do so - I have stated this before. However, for now, that isn't so easy. It is just my view that, because of my cash situation, I shouldn't suffer disadvantages.

Please tell me, the uneducated mind, what disadvantages are you suffering? I, personally, don't see any - you have a roof over your head, you have clean water, you have a warm house, hell you even have a computer that plays all the latest games on it.

I absolutely detest that argument that you are suffering. You don't have a clue. Just because you cannot afford the latest gear you feel you are at a disadvantage. Unfortunately, I do agree with the CTSM argument of 'grow up' here as you are sounding extremely like a spoilt little brat with your 'suffering disadvantages' argument. If you don't have the money to buy it ligitametly, then why should you buy it? You are stealing what isn't yours.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    You started the insults mate, with grow up. "Fuck off" means I can't be bothered with your little insult games, although you continue above.

It wasn't an insult. It was a request and an observation at the same time - you're acting like a deluded little 5 year old child, and it's impossible to reason with.
    As has been pointed out before, stealing a physical object like a bike or petrol is actually rather different from piracy. In a big way. If you cna be bothered, look up those threads. I agree, they cannot justify the prices, and it should be different. Unfortunatley capitalism dictates it is ok to exploit like this.

So software is not a physical product? Are those lines of code imaginary then?
    Mist, kindly don't remove a comment from context. Even CTSM didn't do that with the XP comment. It was referring to once I have XP, I shouldn't need to buy it again. I didn't say "I have XP therefore Vista should be free."

Buy it once, and only use it on one machine at a time - you should not need to purchase it again. If you fell into the set of circumstances where you could no longer use the product you purchased and were entitled to use, then you should have taken the matter up with Microsoft, and chased it until they sorted it.
    I am not trying to say that Piracy is OK

So what exactly are you trying to say? Piracy of an essential piece of software which forms a fundamental part of your computer, used on an everyday basis, is bad unless we were in your shoes?
    I do intend once in am onetary situation where it is possible to buy everything I want to do so - I have stated this before. However, for now, that isn't so easy. It is just my view that, because of my cash situation, I shouldn't suffer disadvantages.

I can't afford a McLaren F1. I shouldn't be so disadvantaged - it isn't my fault that my cash situation is the way it is. So I'll just go and take one, yes?
    Especially when things are priced with gigantic unessary profit margins that are not justifiable. Why can MS do this? Market Dominance. Alternatives for what I want to do are NOT availible. I daresay after Vista has been out a while, people will stop supporting XP like happened with 98 and 2k. However, by then, I should be able to afford it - 2 years I reackon? As such, hopefully, this argument will not happen again.

Their profits are just as unnecessary as your need to steal their products. If the alternatives don't support what you need from an OS, then buy the one that does support your requirements. Problem solved - they're obviously doing something special that meets your requirements, so why not reward them for their product design, research and implementation?
    The idea of getting a free PS3 is nice. Although I don't buy consoles due to the stupid markup of console games which makes them an entire rip off. Long live emulation! Sony/Nintendo whoever still get my profits from the game, but I don't need a console!

So you don't buy consoles because you disagree with the pricing - fair enough. A sound decision IMO - but why take a different stance with your computer?
  • Options
    So you don't buy consoles because you disagree with the pricing - fair enough. A sound decision IMO - but why take a different stance with your computer?

I can play console games without a console. I cannot play the latest PC games without the latest OS. Go try playing Doom 3 on 95.

I am acting like a deluded child. God forbid anyone woh doesn't support Capitalism and exploitation.

I am not suffering disadvantages? Alright maybe "suffering" portrays the idea of someine Africa... but it seems to be the word that fits what I am trying to get across - sorry for going to a shit school and not knowing better English. Instead we were pushed for exam results. I just feel it should be released at a reasonable price. Sorry for this.

Piracy is bad if say, someone who rich enough to afford everything they wanted in a media format went and downloaded it. Even then I still find it excuseable if done on the slighty protest point of that they are fed up with the incredible markup, a very very small percentage of which actually goes to those who made the product. (However, if you were that rich, the argument would seem a bit stupid.) Just like Music, where the majority of cash goes to the publishers, how mcuh do you think actually makes it from a purchase of Vista to the chap who sits programming it?

TBH, do you want a McLaren F1? I'd rather nick something more luxurious if I was going to bother. :p Say, a 750i. The markup on cars is also rather bad... the chap in the factory won't get anywhere near enough of it.

I wish it was as easy as being able to buy the product I needed... I wish I had the cash, I really do. Then I would get a good job, with good hours, move into a good secure, comfortable flat, buy a nice, safe, car, have Windows Vista, Have nice clothes, have good healthy organic food...

However the reality of my life is more likley I'll have a shit job, have a crappy flat that isn't too secure or safe, a crappy old car that is likley to be a death trap, have Win XP until I am forced into Vista, have be eating cheap mass produced food.

God bless Capitalism, our great liberator. Of those born into well-off middle class families.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I can play console games without a console. I cannot play the latest PC games without the latest OS. Go try playing Doom 3 on 95.

So buy the OS that allows you to what you want it to. If you can afford the games, you can afford the OS. Simple as.
    I am acting like a deluded child. God forbid anyone woh doesn't support Capitalism and exploitation.

I am not suffering disadvantages? Alright maybe "suffering" portrays the idea of someine Africa... but it seems to be the word that fits what I am trying to get across - sorry for going to a shit school and not knowing better English. Instead we were pushed for exam results. I just feel it should be released at a reasonable price. Sorry for this.

Am I missing something, or are you blaming your schooling as a reason to justify the theft of something you use every day?
    Piracy is bad if say, someone who rich enough to afford everything they wanted in a media format went and downloaded it. Even then I still find it excuseable if done on the slighty protest point of that they are fed up with the incredible markup, a very very small percentage of which actually goes to those who made the product. (However, if you were that rich, the argument would seem a bit stupid.) Just like Music, where the majority of cash goes to the publishers, how mcuh do you think actually makes it from a purchase of Vista to the chap who sits programming it?

How many chaps do you think sit around programming at Microsoft? How many years of education do they go through to achieve the qualifications and skills required to create and maintain the products you take off them for free?
    TBH, do you want a McLaren F1? I'd rather nick something more luxurious if I was going to bother. :p Say, a 750i. The markup on cars is also rather bad... the chap in the factory won't get anywhere near enough of it.

Do I want a McLaren F1, or need it? Markup - everyone is allowed to make money from their skills in life. And without profits, research and design would not take place. It's the profits that drive innovation - without it, you'd still be using Windows 3.1.
    I wish it was as easy as being able to buy the product I needed... I wish I had the cash, I really do. Then I would get a good job, with good hours, move into a good secure, comfortable flat, buy a nice, safe, car, have Windows Vista, Have nice clothes, have good healthy organic food...

We have to choose between what we want to do, and what we can afford to do. I still don't see it as a reasonable excuse to pirate a fundamental part of your computer - Vista isn't going to do anything that WinXP won't do. Hence there is no real need to upgrade - for at least a year. Should give you plenty of time to save up the £50 or less you'll need to buy Vista?
    However the reality of my life is more likley I'll have a shit job, have a crappy flat that isn't too secure or safe, a crappy old car that is likley to be a death trap, have Win XP until I am forced into Vista, have be eating cheap mass produced food.

Old or outdated doesn't mean it is no longer fit for purpose when it comes to vehicles. Learn to service them and you'll find it far cheaper to run something comfortable and nice. As for food - learn to cook. And if you want a better job, learn a new trade.
    God bless Capitalism, our great liberator. Of those born into well-off middle class families.

Is it everyone else's fault that you perceive them to have more than you?
  • Options
    So buy the OS that allows you to what you want it to. If you can afford the games, you can afford the OS. Simple as.

So if I can afford something that costs £30, I can afford something that costs £120. Remind me why you can't afford a McLaren F1?
    Am I missing something, or are you blaming your schooling as a reason to justify the theft of something you use every day?

Nah, I was just coming back at the argument that I used the word suffering, in that I don't mean litteral suffering.

Although if I could afford Uni I could probably go straight into a high-up managment job and live the easy life. I'd also have gone to a better college.
    How many chaps do you think sit around programming at Microsoft? How many years of education do they go through to achieve the qualifications and skills required to create and maintain the products you take off them for free?

...and how much do they get paid compared to the chaps who don't do all that work but are higher up the ladder? Not enough, I say.
    Do I want a McLaren F1, or need it? Markup - everyone is allowed to make money from their skills in life. And without profits, research and design would not take place. It's the profits that drive innovation - without it, you'd still be using Windows 3.1.

So everyone is allowed to exploit everyone else if they so choose? Profits do not drive innovation. That is a standard human desire - to improve, to make things better. Profit does not make innovation - most of the innovative solutions come from, indeed, other sources! Microsoft was so innovative in its first OS it killed the competition. Programmed by - Bill and one Mate, in a garage. No profit drive there. They had no big money funds.
    We have to choose between what we want to do, and what we can afford to do. I still don't see it as a reasonable excuse to pirate a fundamental part of your computer - Vista isn't going to do anything that WinXP won't do. Hence there is no real need to upgrade - for at least a year. Should give you plenty of time to save up the £50 or less you'll need to buy Vista?

£50 or less?:lol: So you are saying - the poor don't deserve hte latest innovationds because they are poor. Ok. And Vista is going to do things XP won't do, namley DX10 and run new software that will only be Vista compatible. Luckily for us poor, this won't be for another 2 years or so, as such, we can save up. Maybe even get away with using Pirate until then!
    Old or outdated doesn't mean it is no longer fit for purpose when it comes to vehicles. Learn to service them and you'll find it far cheaper to run something comfortable and nice. As for food - learn to cook. And if you want a better job, learn a new trade.

Is it everyone else's fault that you perceive them to have more than you?

LEarn a new trade, if only it was that easy! Someone HAS to do the shite jobs or the world doesn't go round - if only we COULD all work good jobs. And if only we had the time to learn that new trade and get the qualification! Instead, most people spend that time - working! To survive! Catch 22. Again.

Oh, and I only percieve people to have more than me? So that guy with the BMW, the Mansion, and rolling in dosh doesn't actually have it? Ah, ok. Now I know! He's really in an average house, driving a Astra and doesn't blow £500 on a night out.

At the end of the day, I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with what I am doing. You do. You aren't going to change because random internet man #236 says something, neither am I.

I am going to buy Vista, because I am fed up with pirate XP. However, if Vista crosses me, or MS cross me, they can be assured I'l be straight back to pirate. Plus no-doubt I'll be installing 200 cracks a year ot keep Pirate safe with all the MS Spyware (sorry, I mean security) features. I hope they don't try to use that to crack down on torrenting and the like. Although no doubt you would approve, because those poor rich men need thier suits and whores.

Time to save up ludicrous money amounts for Ultimate. :rolleyes: Fuckers. Highway robbery.
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    I'm closing this thread because it's just off topic. Open a debate about software piracy or Microsoft evils if you feel the need.
This discussion has been closed.