Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Sacred symbols as a tattoo - offensive?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think thinking about getting a new tat today and was looking to get a Aum symbol which is Hindu and I like what it means. Do you think these kind of things can cause offence?

omd1.gif

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think that as long as you're fully aware of what the symbol means and you're not wearing it for the wrong reason i.e. in an attempt to offend anyone, then i dont see a problem.

    I know a guy who had a swastika tattoo'd on him. Not the Nazi version, one of the varieties from africa where the "legs" sweep in the opposite direction. Im not entirely educated on the matter but this variety is from a belief system that promotes peace and well being. Obviously to the uneducated he's a nazi, to himself and anyone who cares, he's wearing a symbol that means something both to him and to others in a positive way.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    who cares its your tattoo.
    As long as its not on your forehead then most people arent even gonna see it to take offence.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm pretty sure the swastika symbol appears in hindu and/or bhudist religion too. I remember watching a show and they we're in india i think, and there were swatikas on all the houses. Can't remember the name of the symbol though
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To be fair, most things offend someone, in someway. There's nothing really 100% "safe" to tattoo on your body so if you like it, and you want it, you shoul go with that. Your body after all.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Makoto wrote:
    I think thinking about getting a new tat today and was looking to get a Aum symbol which is Hindu and I like what it means. Do you think these kind of things can cause offence?

    omd1.gif

    No I don't think it offends, but I think you should get it, because you live in a kind of way so you can identify yourself with the Om (or Aum as you said, lazy to check), like trying to reach the Om, not because you like the meaning or the cool look, but are totally distanced from the meaning.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, I don't think they're offensive. I'd personally be wary of having the buddhist peace symbol that looks like a swastika but the symbol you've chosen is probably fine. It doesn't seem demeaning or patronising to the faith at all.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You could always get the symbol done, and then underneath write "no offence like"
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    StrubbleS wrote:
    No I don't think it offends, but I think you should get it, because you live in a kind of way so you can identify yourself with the Om (or Aum as you said, lazy to check), like trying to reach the Om, not because you like the meaning or the cool look, but are totally distanced from the meaning.

    I'd deffenitly say this would be the most personal marking I'd have and would never get anything like this just to look trendy.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Politically correct body mods now!? Jesus.

    Have what the hell you want tattooed onto your body. Fuck offending people, it's your life.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    .
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why on Earth would that cause offense?

    Even if it did, fuck them. I actually can't stand people who get offended.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    fs, they don't do tattoo's on the neck any more, waste of time that was!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Makoto wrote:
    I think thinking about getting a new tat today and was looking to get a Aum symbol which is Hindu and I like what it means. Do you think these kind of things can cause offence?

    omd1.gif
    Its your body, bollocks what people think. But I cant see why its offensive. Unless it means in Hindu "your mum" in Hindu.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    RubberSkin wrote:
    I'm pretty sure the swastika symbol appears in hindu and/or bhudist religion too. I remember watching a show and they we're in india i think, and there were swatikas on all the houses. Can't remember the name of the symbol though
    Buddhists I believe. I think I remember seeing them in a temple.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Makoto wrote:
    fs, they don't do tattoo's on the neck any more, waste of time that was!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:
    Not everywhere do, but some places still will.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Makoto wrote:
    fs, they don't do tattoo's on the neck any more, waste of time that was!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

    So go to a decent tattoo artist...?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Did you say youre near Ipswich, cos theres definitely at least one in colchester that im almost positive would do a neck tattoo. He did one on the back of my neck no problem, and altered one on the side of NMMs neck, although didnt do the original tattoo.
    There are always gonna be some places that wont do necks, hands, etc, but theres plenty that believe its your own choice too.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not everywhere do, but some places still will.

    Why don't they want to do it?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    because if people regret it, then they cant hide it.
    Still I dont think its the tattoo parlours decision to make.
    Mind you, maybe depends on the age of the person getting tattooed as well. Im all for personal autonomy, but it probably wouldnt be gret for a tattoo shop to tattoo big designs on the face of some 18 year old even if they were adamant they liked it.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I may go in to to one of the shops and have a word, I thought it might be some health reason, maybe due to nerves or something. whats the one called on Colchester?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would say the guy in IGIGI (Eld lane) would almost certainly do it, he has shit loads of facial piercings and definitely some visible tattoos as i said, he did my tattoo on the nape of my neck. Might be worth calling them to ask first.
    As long as you take in a pic of the design, and not a pic of someone elses tattoo because he wont do that.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ok, I will try him after I speak to the other shop and see what they :) :thumb:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    one of my friends has that tattooed on his wrist.
Sign In or Register to comment.