Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Paedophile asylum seeker gets £50,000 payout for being detained

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6219608.stm

Not that I want to sound like a Sun editor, but that is an absolute fucking disgrace, and shows what an absolute state that this country's asylum system is in.

It shouldn't have taken two years to realise that this cunt (who should have been named and had his photo in the papers) shouldn't be allowed to stay, and it shouldn't have taken two years to realise that any torture he would face in Somalia would be completely deserved. Hell, he should have been mailed straight to the Somali torturers for what he did.

Every single penny of that money should be handed to his victims in compensation for their suffering, and Mr A should be put on the first plane to the Somali torture chambers. Hell, I'd break a few bones for them if they wanted.

As usual, its a dirty great sack of taxpayers money if you're a violent rapist, and absolutely fuck all if you're the victim of a violent rape.

As much as anything, this yet again allows the racists to imply that all asylum seekers are paedophile rapists who only seem to give a toss about human rights when they can smell a dirty great cash cow.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, this particular case is an absolute disgrace.

The trick is to ensure such cases can never happen while protecting asylum seekers at large from backlashes and smearing campaigns.
    Aladdin wrote:
    The trick is to ensure such cases can never happen while protecting asylum seekers at large from backlashes and smearing campaigns.

Nothing reduces sympathy for asylum seekers in general more than these kind of absurd decisions. This kinda madness offends everyone.
    It's appauling, this should not be allowed to go through.
    Nothing reduces sympathy for asylum seekers in general more than these kind of absurd decisions. This kinda madness offends everyone.

You can't blame this on every other asylum seeker though,

I do agree that i really dont understand the logic behind this case mind.
    Renzo wrote:
    You can't blame this on every other asylum seeker though,
    No, but people will.
    Whats new?
    BBC wrote:
    Human rights lawyers said he could get up to £50,000 from the Home Office.
    BBC wrote:
    He completed an eight-year prison sentence more than three years ago, for the rape of a young girl at knifepoint.
    BBC wrote:
    "A" for legal reasons, was held for 20 months after serving his sentence

Ok, where to start?

He didn't get £50,000. Classic hyperbole.

He'd served an 8 year sentence for his crime. Plenty of time for the immigration department to put a case together for his deportation. After those 8 years I consider his time served. Debt paid. The extra 20 months inprisonment is a failure that sits squarely on the shoulders of the immigration department and the judicial system.

To whomever it was that was condoning torture (and offering to inflict it personally) of this man, there's no place for your abhorent, reactionary and inhumane mentality in a civilised society. However, i do think there's a place for your style of writing (hate-mongering) at The Mail.
    Where to start.

1. The figure isn't plucked from thin air, and the BBC tends to have pretty decent and neutral reporting. If they're proposing that figure, it will be accurate, it isn't the Mail reporting it.
    2. Who cares? He shouldn't get a single penny. The HO shouldn't have to "prepare a case"- any criminal who is not from this country should be booted out without leave of appeal.
    3. Go and tell the young girl that he deserves a huge payout for being kept in prison for brutally and violently raping her, when she gets nothing except years of depression and fear. "Inhumane" is violently raping a frightened young child at knifepoint. Funny how the judge hasn't taken that into account.

And yes, I am in favour of torturing rapists. Being kind and liberal isn't working- rapes up, convictions down- so perhaps a bit of mutilation might work a bit better.
    Will the gov. charge him for board and lodging like they do when people who've been wrongly convicted and imprisoned and get compensation ?
    This is unlawful detention, and yes the man is obviously deeply nasty but the government should be made to play by the rules. If it is allowed the bend them or even break them in certain cases it sets a very dangerous precedent.
    1. I didn't suggest that you or the BBC pulled the figure from thin air, simply that you asserted, as the thread title clearly shows, that he'd already got £50k. He hadn't.

2. I'm not arguing whether or not he should get any money. I happen to think he shouldn't be entitled to any.

Define "from this country"; are we talking about not born here? I'd argue that someone born in France, but who moved here aged 5 and committed an imprisonable offence at 35, is a product of our society and is our responsibility.

3. I didn’t say he deserved a payout. I’m also not suggesting that his crimes were anything other than barbaric, however, I am saying that torture is morally reprehensible. Moreover, I don’t agree with your analysis of liberal attitudes not working and mutilation being the other alternative. There’s a whole lot of ground in-between.

As Budda says, just because the crime in question is one you feel particularly strongly about, doesn’t mean that the law should be bent or ignored.
    sophia wrote:
    I can't for the life of me work out why anyone would think it is unacceptable to rape people, but perfectly alright to torture criminals.

It's unacceptable to attack innocent people for no purpose.

I don't exactly think that the Government should bring back torture, but I do think that all violent criminals who are here as asylum seekers or adult immigrants should be deported immediately, regardless of the possibility of torture in their own country.

If this creature was sent back, as he should be, and tortured to death I would not shed a tear. Maybe that makes me sound awful, I don't care.

The current system- that of sympathy and understanding of the defendant- is not working- rape is up, convictions are down, and when people do get convicted they get pathetic sentences.

Perhaps the Government have broken their rules, but that shows that the rules should be changed- mandatory deportation for violent criminals who are adult immigrants or asylum seekers would do the trick.
    Kermit wrote:
    mandatory deportation for violent criminals who are adult immigrants or asylum seekers would do the trick.
    Mandatory deportation for all violent criminals full stop would suit me. I'm not supporting torture before anyone suggests that, I am supporting the theory that I just don't care what happens to these people. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they deserve this kind of punishment, only so far as to say that they don't deserve our protection.

We need to find an island, where we ship all of these people, where we only provide them with the basics to feed themselves and then it's down to survival of the fittest. Let them treat each other the way that they've treated the general public and then see how they like it. Either they'll sort out their own judicial system or they'll all end up killing each other!

Edited because my dodgy spelling made my sentences nonsensical.
    On another point, wasn't £50,000 the amount of money the government pulled from funding rape crisis a few years ago?

Just a coincidence maybe?
    Loopi wrote:
    Mandatory deportation for all violent criminals full stop would suit me. I'm not supporting torture before anyone suggests that, I am supporting the theory that I just don't care what happens to these people. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they deserve this kind of punishment, only so far as to say that they don't deserve our protection.

We need to find an island, where we ship all of these people, where we only provide them with the basics to feed themselves and then it's down to survival of the fittest. Let them treat each other the way that they've treated the general public and then see how they like it. Either they'll sort out their own judicial system or they'll all end up killing each other!

Edited because my dodgy spelling made my sentences nonsensical.

But one violent person isn't the same as the next. Don't you think if someone regrets what they did and changes (even if they're in the minority) that they should have a chance of a good future?
    But one violent person isn't the same as the next. Don't you think if someone regrets what they did and changes (even if they're in the minority) that they should have a chance of a good future?

Any asylum seeker or refugee who rapes a 13 year old girl should be deported. I don't care if they 'regret' it, that does not undo the harm done and I do not believe we have any moral obligation to give shelter to foreign rapists.
    Yep, as ShyBoy says, the Government allowed the national Rape Crisis service to fold for £50,000.

Good to see someone has their priorities right.
    So torture is wrong unless another country does it to someone with darker skin than normal Brits?
    Any asylum seeker or refugee who rapes a 13 year old girl should be deported. I don't care if they 'regret' it, that does not undo the harm done and I do not believe we have any moral obligation to give shelter to foreign rapists.

Well said

Torture is wrong and barbaric wherever it takes place but this man still shouldn't be allowed to stay in this country. He should be deported to Somalia, I don't agree with him being tortured over there because that is a crime just as bad as the crime he commited, but that isn't really our problem. He is a foreign immigrant who raped a 13 year old girl at knifepoint and has absolutely no right at all to stay in this country, whatever happens to him in Somalia, whether it is right or not, is his problem and the problem of the Somalian government.
    budda wrote:
    So torture is wrong unless another country does it to someone with darker skin than normal Brits?

I'd have no problems with deporting white British child rapists to Somalia to be tortured and executed...I'm into equal-opportunities retribution.

As that isn't practicable, though, I don't see why we should have to pay for and support someone who came to this country for safety from torture, and then inflicted a disgusting and terrifying violent rape on a young child. He should be deported without any rights to protection- he chose to remove himself from our country's protection when he held a knife to a young girl's throat and then violently raped her.
    Any crime and they should be deported, but this should be no question weather or not. Presumably he escaped his country because of the crimes and whatnot, yet he came here and done this barbaric crime.
    Kermit wrote:
    I'd have no problems with deporting white British child rapists to Somalia to be tortured and executed...I'm into equal-opportunities retribution.

Fair enough, at least your up front about it. However I cant ever say that torture is either justified or moral.

Yes this bloke is a nasty piece of work, but no the government should not be able to break its own rules. If this case shows up how badly the rules on rape are working the solution is not to break them, but the revise and review them.
    HIT wrote:
    Any crime and they should be deported, but this should be no question weather or not.

So you'd deport someone to torture and probable death for possession of cannabis?
    budda wrote:
    So you'd deport someone to torture and probable death for possession of cannabis?
    They fled their country for a better life here, yet they have broke the law here in a country that took them in otherwise they would be brown bread.

But your post has made me re-think. ;)
    Broken any law? Does that include parking on double-yellows? Speeding? Drinking on the Metro?

what have asylum seekers done wrong though, they arent the ones invesitgating these people....
    what have asylum seekers done wrong though, they arent the ones invesitgating these people....

I haven't said they've done anything wrong.

I'm just saying that for most people nothing reduces sympathy for asylum seekers in general more than these kind of absurd decisions...

Pretty simple.