Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

'Pray five times a day or be beheaded'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How medieval.

The savagery of Islamism in the 21st century and the sheer backwardness of it is truly depressing.

Comments

• Options
    According to some Somali official, Allah is against speeding. Don't forget that one.
  • Options
    There was a report on the news that somewhere, sorry can't remember where, rape trials will now be heard in state law courts not Islamic ones, as in an Islamic court the woman has to find 4 men to back her claim up otherwise she can be tried for adultery the maximum punishment for which is death by stoning :eek: !

Apparently there has been a back lash by, for want of a better phrase 'hardcore' Islamics against this.
  • Options
    They eat dogs you know!

old_lady.gif

ooh I SAY.
  • Options
    The savagery of Islamism in the 21st century and the sheer backwardness of it is truly depressing.

I have a very good friend who is a muslim. I can't remember him ever suggesting such a thing to me, our friends or his family. Funny that. Him being a follower of Islam and all... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Yep Islam seems to be the religious tool of the day for utter shitheads to inflict their backwards views on other people, and remove any human rights they might have. There's no doubt there is some utter scum in positions of power in certain Islamic countries. But like I said, some people have always tried to get others to comply with their idea of acceptable behaviour, or oppress women, or homosexuals, or any number of other groups. Islam just seems to be the latest in a long line of tools and ideas that people have used to do this.

I just feel sorry for all of the normal, good muslim people who end up getting lumped in with this, because I'm sure as hell that that isn't the type of "islam" that they practice.
  • Options
    This thread is officialy derailed!

threadderailed.jpg

OWNED!
  • Options
    In all seriousness though. Raise your hand if you think that beheading people for not praying is a good idea........

seeing as no hands go up. I declare this debate pointless and suggest we all go get drunk!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I have a very good friend who is a muslim. I can't remember him ever suggesting such a thing to me, our friends or his family. Funny that. Him being a follower of Islam and all... :rolleyes:

Rather so myself.

I'll tell you who is savage - these Religious extremists of ANY religion, such as Christians who try to kill people who do life saving medical research and get the theory of Intelligent Design taught to Children, as fact.

Any Religious extremist is dangerous and savage imho. Christian, Islamic, whatever. I don't give a shit, they are all bastards. Relgion, yeah, ok, have your views. Don't enforce them, don't try to preach them to me, just keep 'em to yourself and be open to debate. They aren't, most of the time.
  • Options
    Alright, I'll break this thread down for everyone since the kitty didn't seem to do the job.

Here's where it has been, and where it can head:

Disillusioned makes a post about a backwards law made by some religious extremists. Then makes a comment (perhaps to initiate a debate?) that the group responsible for the law are barbaric. Several things can come of this.

1) People make the natural assumption that Disillusioneds’ comment about islam being barbaric was only a reference to specific extreme groups in Islam. People then go on to discus how that is a stupid law made by stupid extremists, a conversation which has little point to it since I don't think there are any people here who see decapitation for not praying as a good thing. This conversation also has nothing to do with the original message that Islam is barbaric which makes the whole conversation off topic

2) People make the natural assumption that Disillusioned's comment was about Islam in general but figure it's just get a rise out of everyone so they ignore it. People then go on to discus how that is a stupid law made by stupid extremists, a conversation which has little point to it since I don't think there are any people who see decapitation for not praying as a good thing. This conversation also has nothing to do with the original message that Islam is barbaric which makes the whole conversation off topic.

3) People take Disillusioned literally and assume that he's a racist, demand he apologize/is banned and then make reference to various barbarous acts committed by other religions which leads to a general denunciation of extremism. Disillusioned then chuckles as he doesn't apologize and isn't banned, process is repeated later in the week.

4) People take Disillusioned literally and assume he is ill-informed. Then make obvious reference to all the muslims out there who don't believe in decapitating people. Disillusioned chuckles, process is repeated later in the week.

5) Repeat option 3 and 4 only Disillusioned is banned for being a racist or a troll, which seems unlikely because (in my amateur opinion) he is neither.

Honestly now, who didn't see that coming?
  • Options
    The silly thing is that the Koran (the word of Allah) states that Muslims should pray three times a day .. while the Hadith (the Islamic 'traditions' reference) states that it should be five times a day ... so it seems a but unfair to behead someone for not choosing to pray an optional two a day. :confused:
  • Options
    I think that atheists just have a superiority complex, you get extremists all the time. And they're often in power, but they can be religious or not religious. But if they're muslim or christian, how come people denounce 'organised religion' as a solely bad thing. People don't seriously think there would be no wars if there was no religion?

Heh, I know it's a bit off topic, just a trend in society I've been noticing recently. Everyone supports people's 'freedom' but then a lot of people seem to think people who are religious are crazed fanatics who hate gays and thus aren't uber liberal and thus are fascists or something. People are so stupid sometimes :)
  • Options

Maybe that's because his religious views would not be defined as Islamist. If you bothered to properly read the original post you'd see I was talking about a specific extreme branch of Islam and not Islam in general. But you're too lazy for that.

If a Christian sect was still practicing the religiously inspired violence seen in medieval times I would expect loud condemnation from the overwhelming majority of peaceful Christians. It would be sadly unrealistic if I said I expected the same from the Muslim community. This latest story finds no mention on MCB or MPACUK – if they campaigned against extremism with the kind of zeal they campaign against Israel, maybe some parts of the world affected by Islamism would have more in common with the 21st century than the Dark Ages. But, then I wouldn't call MCB or MPACUK moderate despite both being supposedly mainstream.
  • Options
    i am a muslim and denounce this law.

who wants to go get drunk?

wait...blackcurrant and lemonades all round
  • Options
    If you bothered to properly read the original post you'd see I was talking about a specific extreme branch of Islam and not Islam in general.

Actually, you didn't.

You stated

That is a fairly wide-ranging remark.

Not all Islamism is bad. While Islamism is a set of political ideologies that hold that Islam is not only a religion, but also a political system that governs the legal, economic and social imperatives of the state according to its interpretation of Islamic Law, it also depends on what length that ideology goes to.
  • Options
    It would be sadly unrealistic if I said I expected the same from the Muslim community.
    It would be unrealistic because you obviously don't want to hear them condemn it. Simply type "Muslims condemn terrorists" into Google and you'll end up with a million websites with links to Muslim leaders condemning terrorism (and ironically one website in the middle titled "Why don't Muslims condemn terrorism").

I can't say I'm surprised that Irish News Online couldn't get a major Muslim leader to offer a quote to a story about some nutcases in an obscure town in the south of Somalia. Look at terrorism in general and there is condemnation pretty much across the board from Muslims.
  • Options
    Sheik Hussein Barre Rage

good name for a crazed despotic sadist!
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Not all Islamism is bad.

It is if you're gay, a woman or not a Muslim - or if you happen to believe gay people, women and non-Muslims should be treated equally.
  • Options
    It is if you're gay, a woman or not a Muslim - or if you happen to believe gay people, women and non-Muslims should be treated equally.
    Same as Christianity then? If you take it literally, and at face value that is.
  • Options

Another sweeping statement. There are liberal Muslims out there. What about the fundamentalist Christians in the US that want to run the country - and don't want to afford the same rights to minorities just as the extreme Islamists do?
  • Options

I can't think of any Christian country that treats women in any way comparable to Islamist regimes.

There are no Christian fundamentalist regimes in the world that execute people because they're homosexual, force women to cover their entire faces or execute people for failing to observe Christianity.
  • Options
    I can't think of any Christian country that treats women in any way comparable to Islamist regimes.

There are no Christian fundamentalist regimes in the world that execute people because they're homosexual, force women to cover their entire faces or execute people for failing to observe Christianity.
    That's because all the "Christian countries" have already seen what it's like when Christian fundies run the country. Not to dissimilar to Islamic fundies running a country really, is it?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Another sweeping statement.

Not at all. An Islamist regime means inequality (and often misery) for women that wanted to be treated like human beings, gay people and non-Muslims.
    Teagan wrote:
    There are liberal Muslims out there.

And what has that got to do with my criticism of Islamist regimes? :rolleyes:
    Teagan wrote:
    What about the fundamentalist Christians in the US that want to run the country - and don't want to afford the same rights to minorities just as the extreme Islamists do?

And what has that got to do with my criticism of Islamist regimes? :rolleyes:

Fundamentalist Christians in the Midwest are not going to repeal the Bill of Rights, remove freedoms codified in the Constitution, upheld by the Supreme Court and turn the US into a fundamentalist Christian state. What a pointless hypothetical impossibility. Instead of inventing bizarre future possible injustices how about criticising present ones? (Which include Islamists hanging gay people in Iran and talking of beheading people for not praying five times a day).
  • Options
    Fundamentalist Christians in the Midwest are not going to repeal the Bill of Rights, remove freedoms codified in the Constitution, upheld by the Supreme Court and turn the US into a fundamentalist Christian state. What a pointless hypothetical impossibility. Instead of inventing bizarre future possible injustices how about criticising present ones? (Which include Islamists hanging gay people in Iran and talking of beheading people for not praying five times a day).
    The point is that fundies exist in every religion. The only reason that muslim fundamentalists commit such atrocities is because they have the power to do so, whereas fundies from other religions in other countries aren't in that position. I'm sure you'll find people in this country (muslim or not) with similar beliefs, but they are not in a position of power to do anything about it. The fact that the desire exists among people of other faiths (or even non-faiths) in other countries suggests that it is not a problem that is a result of Islam, which you seem to be claiming it is.
  • Options
    The point is that fundies exist in every religion.

They do but it's indisputable that Muslim fundamentalists pose a great danger. Fundamentalist fruitcakes in the Midwest aren't blowing up planes and beheading gay people so it's pointless bringing them into a discussion about Muslim fundamentalists doing those exact things.
    The only reason that muslim fundamentalists commit such atrocities is because they have the power to do so, whereas fundies from other religions in other countries aren't in that position.

That is not the 'only reason' at all. There are some big theological considerations and differences.

Various reformed branches of Christianity and the influence of the dual revolutions in Europe have had a pretty big impact on Christian societies.
    The fact that the desire exists among people of other faiths (or even non-faiths) in other countries suggests that it is not a problem that is a result of Islam, which you seem to be claiming it is.

Er, does it? I've never heard of Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus or Sikhs calling for people who miss prayers to be beheaded. I've never heard of any Hindu or Sikh leader in India, any Christian in Ireland or any Buddhist in Thailand demanding gays be hanged in public. Unfortunately where Islamism rules it's a different story. In Iran, gays have been hanged in public. And now in Somalia not praying five times a day might get you beheaded.

To suggest that Islamism is a problem not a result of Islam is bizarre. Islamism derives from Islam. Islamism also happens to be a fanatic and dangerous kind of religious extremism which poses a greater threat to civilised liberal democracy than other forms of religious belief. Whilst moderate Islam itself is certainly compatible with civilised democracy when considering the cartoons controversy and Salman Rushdie it is absolutely clear that Islamism is not.
  • Options
    Fundamentalist fruitcakes in the Midwest aren't blowing up planes and beheading gay people ...

What about the Oklahoma bombings?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    What about the Oklahoma bombings?

What about it?

There is always going to be a danger from odd nutters like Timothy McVeigh. However, that's a different kind of danger to organised Islamism; the effects of which have been seen in New York, Bali, Madrid and London. Both can kill, the former has always happened in some form, the latter is a recent phenomenon. Some would also say whereas the likes of Timothy McVeigh and Harold Shipman are just lone madmen with no movement and unified religious ideology the Islamists that struck on 9/11 and 7/7 are united by ideological religious fanaticism.
  • Options
    What about it?

...with no movement and unified religious ideology the Islamists that struck on 9/11 and 7/7 are united by ideological religious fanaticism.

Come on dis, you'll have to do better than that. Do you think that Islamists in Somalia and the regime in Iran have a unified religious ideology? Look at Iraq - you can see full well that being a muslim and fighting or trying to take power does not mean you're on the same side...

What people are taking issue with here is that you are implying that Islam is inherently violent/dangerous whereas other religions (primarily Christianity) are not. Thats clearly ridiculous, because we have many, many examples of Christian movements doing the same thing, throughout history (see the Crusades, the Inquisition, witch-hunts etc etc ad nauseum) and today (see the KKK, Christian Identity, God's Army in Burma, many rebel factions in West Africa, etc etc). The difference is very clearly that Islamism is more predominant in war-torn, undeveloped, and chaotic countries today. They thus have a greater oppurtunity to be dangerous and enact barbaric practises. See your initial example of Somalia, probably the most chaotic, dangerous, and unstable country in the world: a place where there is increasing support for Islamicist governance because it has the potential to restore some semblence of law and order (and already some success).

There are many Christians in the USA (and around the world) today, who, if they were not living in a stable, prosperous nation with a codified constitution, would be happy to bring back stoning, hanging adulterers, or imprisoning women who have abortions.
  • Options
  • Options
    carlito wrote:
    Come on dis, you'll have to do better than that. Do you think that Islamists in Somalia and the regime in Iran have a unified religious ideology

Well both are cases of people holding religious beliefs that in practice prove incompatible in any civilised democracy.
    carlito wrote:
    What people are taking issue with here is that you are implying that Islam is inherently violent/dangerous whereas other religions (primarily Christianity) are not.

I've distinguished between Islam and Islamism. And it is entirely accurate to say that the latter is more predisposed to violence in the 21st century than almost all strands of Christianity.
    carlito wrote:
    Thats clearly ridiculous, because we have many, many examples of Christian movements doing the same thing, throughout history (see the Crusades, the Inquisition, witch-hunts etc etc ad nauseum)

And indeed there is some similarity between Islamism and aspects of Christianity in medieval times.
    carlito wrote:
    and today (see the KKK, Christian Identity, God's Army in Burma, many rebel factions in West Africa, etc etc).

The KKK...today? The KKK have effectively disbanded and no longer exists to paraphrase the ADL. They barely have several thousand members and are almost entirely confined to the internet these days. Christian Identity have some disgusting views but I'm unconvinced that their numbers are in any way comparable to adherents to extreme forms of Islam. (Even in Britain the number of Muslims protesting against free speech outside the Danish Embassy or demanding Salman Rushdie's death was worrying. Have Christian Identity ever managed anything more than a handful of people for one of their rallies?)

Bad things have and continue to be done in the name of Christianity. I've never claimed extremism is absent in Christianity, however, I can accept that Islamism poses a far greater danger to democracy and basic freedoms. Some people evidently cannot.
    carlito wrote:
    There are many Christians in the USA (and around the world) today, who, if they were not living in a stable, prosperous nation with a codified constitution, would be happy to bring back stoning, hanging adulterers, or imprisoning women who have abortions.

More pointless - and baseless hypothetical impossibilities.

The idea that Islamism with all the horrible things it encompasses can have somehow derived from Islam is too hard to accept for some people. Hence this fantasy that Christians if they had the opportunity would be behaving in exactly like the Islamists. Come on carlito, you'll have to do better than that...

Bet you're at SOAS. :p
  • Options
    Time for an update on the development of the thread...
    People make the natural assumption that Disillusioneds’ comment about islam being barbaric was only a reference to specific extreme groups in Islam. People then go on to discus how that is a stupid law made by stupid extremists, a conversation which has little point to it since I don't think there are any people here who see decapitation for not praying as a good thing. This conversation also has nothing to do with the original message that Islam is barbaric which makes the whole conversation off topic
    Maybe that's because his religious views would not be defined as Islamist. If you bothered to properly read the original post you'd see I was talking about a specific extreme branch of Islam and not Islam in general. But you're too lazy for that.

score 1 for me.
    People take Disillusioned literally and assume he is ill-informed. Then make obvious reference to all the muslims out there who don't believe in decapitating people. Disillusioned chuckles, process is repeated later in the week.
    Teagan wrote:
    That is a fairly wide-ranging remark.

Not all Islamism is bad.
    Look at terrorism in general and there is condemnation pretty much across the board from Muslims.

score 2 for me.
    People then go on to discus how that is a stupid law made by stupid extremists, a conversation which has little point to it since I don't think there are any people here who see decapitation for not praying as a good thing.
    Toadborg wrote:
    good name for a crazed despotic sadist!

score 3 for me.
    People take Disillusioned literally and assume that he's a racist

score 4 for me. And on a side note, Disillusioned totaly just contradicted an earlier post where he claimed that he wasn't talking about Islam in general.
    People take Disillusioned literally and assume that he's a racist, demand he apologize/is banned and then make reference to various barbarous acts committed by other religions which leads to a general denunciation of extremism.

score 5 for me.
    People take Disillusioned literally and assume he is ill-informed. Then make obvious reference to all the muslims out there who don't believe in decapitating people.
    AARJ wrote:
    then make reference to various barbarous acts committed by other religions
    Teagan wrote:
    Another sweeping statement. There are liberal Muslims out there. What about the fundamentalist Christians in the US that want to run the country - and don't want to afford the same rights to minorities just as the extreme Islamists do?

aaandd score 6 for me.

I could keep this up but I have class soon.
    hazell wrote:
    i am a muslim and denounce this law.

who wants to go get drunk?

wait...blackcurrant and lemonades all round

I'm game, but we better do it fast before I get banned to trolling;)