Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Online Bank Card Order...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have used my debit card to order a load of christmas presents from amazon.co.uk. Got an email back saying the bank has declined my card. So i re-entered the details and retried and the same thing has happened again. What the hell is going on?!

Comments

• Options
    check your balance?

i know it sounds simple, but maybe theres not as much in ur account as u think

have u chescked the expiry date?x
  • Options
    What kind of debit card is it?

Have you used it before on amazon.co.uk?

Also: home, law & money would be the appropriate forum I feel ;)
  • Options
    I have a four figure sum in my account. The expiry date is 2 years away and i've used it on amazon before. And whoops! Do your stuff mods...
  • Options
    well in that case, i guess you`ll have to ring your bank and find out :)
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    well in that case, i guess you`ll have to ring your bank and find out :)

I just did. They put me through to a call center in India, switched me to about 5 different departments, then cut me off. I swear they cut you off on purpose hoping you'll go away...
  • Options
    The most common reason for errors:

expiry date entered wrong
    commence date entered wrong (although this is less important)
    security digits not correct

Just give the bank a ring and ask whats up :) will take all of 5 minutes (with barclays) or possibly several days with halifax :grump:. I have a 6 digit security number apparently? And to reset it they wanted my secret password that I had no idea what it was....

...at least it's secure :D
  • Options
    What about the name you give? Does it have to be to the letter what's on the card? I'm sure I haven't always done that before and it's worked, but could that be it?
  • Options
    Do you shop online much? Especially that site? Did you spend a significant amount of money?
    I"ve had this happen before, sometimes they like to call it "suspicious activity" Sometimes a bank will suspend a card as a precautionary measure. I had it happen to me when I moved and all of the sudden all of my purchases were made in 2 states away... Pain in the ass, but I guess it could be good.

But as shyboy suggested, just ring them up and see what up. Just have your account number ready and it'll only take a minute
  • Options
    Not exactly no... The letters aren't checked. It's just if they get an error they can see who the card is registered to and who's the delivery address etc. etc.

I use to plug in people's numbers into a machine, it was a bit boring. It's only the numbers that matter really. It's annoying when people give you their PIN instead of their 3 digit security code.

I always just type my name in lower case nowadays because I cba, or miss out my middle initial. It's purely for a person to see if the two people are the same.
  • Options
    Let me add banks to the list of things i'll ban if I ever get to 10 Downing Street...
  • Options
    Why? Did you call them, what did they say?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Why? Did you call them, what did they say?

From post if you read the whole thread: "I just did. They put me through to a call center in India, switched me to about 5 different departments, then cut me off. I swear they cut you off on purpose hoping you'll go away..."
  • Options
    Why don't you call your local branch directly?
  • Options
    I'm at work and haven't got the number. Not even sure you can call the local branch...
  • Options
    It's worth trying again, you know... or if you hate it so much, try popping into your local branch.

From experience of working in a banking call centre, it sounds like it could be the Fraud team keeping an eye on your account - it may have flagged up as unusual spending, or something. They have your best interests at heart, really.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I'm at work and haven't got the number. Not even sure you can call the local branch...

You just edited this :/

Whenever I have had a problem I have contacted my local branch. They are normally really helpful. Phone your branch. I'd be surprised if you can't get through to them directly.
  • Options
    I have a four figure sum in my account.

Well hello there! :naughty:

When I've had problems like this before it's usually down to a difference between billing address and delivery address or some bollocks like that. You aren't at a Uni/new address or something?
  • Options
    How often do you use it and how much were you spending?

My dad gets his card declined almost every time he comes over here because he never uses it unless he's in the UK and all of a sudden there's hundreds of pounds coming off it.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Franki wrote:
    How often do you use it and how much were you spending?

My dad gets his card declined almost every time he comes over here because he never uses it unless he's in the UK and all of a sudden there's hundreds of pounds coming off it.

:yes:

When I was working at hobbycraft, if someone used their card a lot some days, then we would either need voice authorisation or it would be declined.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but it appears to have worked on the third attempt. God knows why. Ah well...
  • Options
    I had this same problem over the weekend but it turns out that it was because I was trying to use a credit card that I reported stolen a few months ago :blush:
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I had this same problem over the weekend but it turns out that it was because I was trying to use a credit card that I reported stolen a few months ago :blush:

Lol, never done that! Why did you report it stolen if you still have it?!
  • Options
    I suspect because like when I did it, they couldn't find it anywhere and the way the automated system works there isn't an option of 'I'm a plonker and have no idea where I left it' that or the other time, when my wallet did get stolen and I dutifully reported all the cards I *thought* were in it, to be stolen, and then found one of them in my room 3 weeks later where I'd had it out for interweb shopping.
  • Options
    Lol, never done that! Why did you report it stolen if you still have it?!
    I didn't have it. I've got a replacement card that looks the same as the old one. On Amazon it just remembers the old one and says "do you want to use this card?" and I selected yes which meant it automatically went to take it off my card, the one that was stolen.