Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Dealing with the dentist

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have to have a tooth taken out under local anaesthetic. I always feel apprehensive when it comes to having teeth out. I was supposed to have a tooth taken out out last year but after he had injected my gum I couldn't go through with it. Anyone got any ways of dealing with it so I don't chicken out again (it's important I have this tooth taken out as most of the past fortnight I've been in really bad pain)? I have Rescue Remedy which I'm going to use but I'm hoping there'll be other ways to help.

Comments

• Options
    Easiest way is to relax as much as possible and give the dentist good access to your mouth and it will be over in 30 seconds...
  • Options
    I feel apprehensive when I think about the price dentist charge.
  • Options
    He's got me down for a 10 minute appointment I'm hoping it doesn't last anywhere near that.
  • Options
    I hate the sound of the things he used and this might sound stupid but I don't like the idea of my mouth being really wide when he's doing it and not being able to shut it.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    He's got me down for a 10 minute appointment I'm hoping it doesn't last anywhere near that.

5 mins for full anaesthetic effect, then seconds to take the tooth out. It doesn't hurt at all with the numbing.
  • Options
    i'm not bothered about the pain too much as I know there won't be any.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    I hate the sound of the things he used and this might sound stupid but I don't like the idea of my mouth being really wide when he's doing it and not being able to shut it.

Use ear plugs to block out the noise.
  • Options
    Even better, walkman on loud. I'm sure you'll Dentist will be happy to go along with that and poke you if they need to talk to you. Loads of our patients plug themselves into headphones.
  • Options
    Never known anyone to do that. TBH, I don't ever remember that much of a noise when I had my teeth out. (I ended up having 5 out) and prefer local to general anaesthetic. (I've had both used for when I've had teeth out)
  • Options
    He's started having the radio on but I'll ask if I can have my iPod on.
  • Options
    Ive had a tooth out before and tbh, it wasnt nearly as bad as having it left in there.
    obviously noone would go and get it done for fun, but youll feel really relieved afterwards.
    Just be brave!
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Never known anyone to do that. TBH, I don't ever remember that much of a noise when I had my teeth out. (I ended up having 5 out) and prefer local to general anaesthetic. (I've had both used for when I've had teeth out)

You've got to have a pretty singing and dancing reason to get a general anaesthetic now, and having worked on occasion as a dental nurse I probably come across more people at the dentist than you do!
  • Options
    Thanks I will (well try anyway :p)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Dentists are easy to deal with if you kick them in the balls (or punch them really hard in the chest, if they're women). :p

Seriously, good luck. :)
  • Options
    You've got to have a pretty singing and dancing reason to get a general anaesthetic now, and having worked on occasion as a dental nurse I probably come across more people at the dentist than you do!

Last time I was due to have teeth out, thye gace me the choice.
  • Options
    Someone's health authority has money to play with then! I haven't heard of any for a while that would give you a theatre slot for a bog standard extraction.
  • Options
    I've had a few teeth taken out now (had braces for a number of years and having certain teeth pulled out is all part of the fun), one of them took 45 mins to extract and even left the dentist looking pale!
    I've always found just relaxing as much as possible and kind of half day dreaming helps (if that makes sense). Most of the time it takes a couple of minutes and it's over. The bloody injection I usually find the worst bit and you've already gone through with that :D

Anyways as someone said before, it's better to get it taken out than suffer with a dodgy tooth. :)