Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gangs

PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
According to the Home Office, almost 500,000 UK teenagers are members of a gang, which is described by the Government as a ‘delinquent youth group'.

Are you, or have you been in the past, part of a gang? Does this mean you’re more likely to have friends who are in trouble with the police, have run away from home, have a commitment to your ‘deviant’ peers, have been expelled or suspended from school, and are drunk on a frequent basis? Are you more likely to use a weapon?

Any feeback would be good - it's for a new section to go live before Christmas,

Thanks
Pearly

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I once got accused of being a gangsta by the police if that counts - I swore back and almost got arrested - I was going to argue (in my best public school accent) I couldn't possibly be one as they all gangsta's clearly wear hoddies and tote guns - but as me and all my friends happend to be dressed in hodded tops (which was rather conicidental) and had just had an air pistol removed from us and were in the police station because one of our member had been arrsted for possession of illegal substances - I dont' think i really had a leg to stand on - oops

I'd never actually thought of myself as being in a gang though...........

I mean what do people who are in gang's actually do that means they are in a gang?
  • Options
    Don't think I've ever been part of anything that could conceivable be called a gang.... :(
  • Options
    I have never been part of a gang that loiters around the streets shouting abuse, fights or whatnot, those to me are insecure with themselves.

I have been part of a group of friends that go out to places rather than just hang.

But I dont think because someone does happen to hang around in a group dont necessary mean trouble makers, carry weapons or are in trouble with the police.
  • Options
    Nopeee.

But a friendship group, yeaa. Maybe that counts as a gang?

delinquent youth group?

Nope, we all went through A levels and never once been in trouble with the law :angel:
  • Options
    When I was young my dad, my sister and me were in a gang. We called ourselves the word boogs. Word like what vanilla ice said cuz we were badass like him, and boogs like booger. We had a handshake and everything. Not exactly a blood, but close enough i say :p

I don't tend to think of gangs as just a group of kids though, those are usually just groups of kids... When I think of gangs I think of LA and east side and shootings and drug dealing and initiating and prison gangs... not that pansy ass group of friends thing
  • Options
    I suppose i've been in what most would call a gang. As others have said it was just a group of friends really and i none of us really did anything seriously illegal. We just did the usual sit around on a park, getting pissed and messing around/had a laugh!
    Gangs don't really bother me when they all have brains and use them, after all, most are just groups of mates that have nothing to do. Its the nobheads that destroy reputations for everyone by being anti-social little cunts.
  • Options
    I've been in sociable 'groups' and gangs
  • Options
    A lot of my friends are in a crew. I don't know if it counts as a gang since they don't peddle drugs or do anything illegal aside from the ocational fights. I almost joined a while back but decided it wasn't for me.
  • Options
    How do you 'join'?
  • Options
  • Options
    I wasnt in a gang, but i lived in one of the most poor estates of Sheffield. And i can tell you a gang is a group of people who give themselves a name and go about life imposing their name and their rule upon others. This is mainly done by the use of violence.

But living in a council estate is like being part of a community (big gang). Any1 who lived in one will know that regardless of what you do, like if u a studant or a worker or you sit on your ass smoking weed all day, the other people of the community will wanna kinda transform you into one of them.

Now i dont mean they will rob you or mug you. But by being friendly and showing you respect leads you to think you have stuff in comon with them. I started smoking weed like this. Its kinda of a deception of the drug world: you socialice with these people and the more confident you become with them the more you gonna feel you in control. Next this you know you having a spliff with them, and so on.

People from gangs learn early on in their lives the drug and violence world and how to manipulate it. Some are manipulated by it. But if thats the only future they know, from they point of view, then so be it.

And the story goes on...
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    How do you 'join'?
    I don't know about other groups especialy but in most cases, especialy with bootboy crews, you get jumped in. Basicaly it means fighting the entire crew at the same time and getting your shit rocked. Then you all go get drunk together.

ETA:

In some "thug" gangs, like the ones from Southern California it's much different. There are two of them which are moving into my home town. Their initiation is that you have to hospitalize a complete stranger. Basicaly they've been running around the downtown area stabbing complete strangers in the back.
  • Options
    Blimey I really dont' know that much about gangs but i'm pretty sure da yoof in hoodies in the UK don't require any form of initiation other than the ability to sit in a park and drink 2 liters of strongbow
  • Options
    I have never been part of a gang bang, are they very sociably? ;)
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    i'm pretty sure da yoof in hoodies in the UK don't require any form of initiation other than the ability to sit in a park and drink 2 liters of strongbow

Hmmm, I've sat in the garden round the back of the monastry and drunk at least 2 litres of their cider, in a hoodie from my trip to Germany with a church group last year...

Does that mean I'm in a gang?!? :yippe:

/sarcasm