Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Toothache

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I get this recurring toothache every now and again and at the minute, it's back again. I've seen my dentist about it before, and he says unless i'm prepared to fork out hundreds to have a few teeth capped or something like that, i'm gonna get a bit of pain now and again. I decided I could live with that for now, but damn, I think toothache is one of the worst pains going. I've been popping some Nurofen and the're reasonably good, but is there anything better than anyone can recommend? Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    When I was younger I used to use this product called ambersol (sp?).

It numb the pain and is applied topically to the tooth. Good stuff, but I aint seen it around in ages.
  • Options
    clove oil

tastes yack, but works
  • Options
    Paracetamol as well as nurofen, brush with corsydol gel.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:

It numb the pain and is applied topically to the tooth. Good stuff, but I aint seen it around in ages.
    Orajel is very similar.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:

What's the difference between ambersol and teething gel?
  • Options
    Bonjella :thumb:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    What's the difference between ambersol and teething gel?
    I dont know.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Hopefully it will piss off shortly. Until then - youch... :(
  • Options
    Sorry for hijacking the thread but, how long roughly does wisdom teeth pain last for?
  • Options
    It depends, mine seems to last about 48 hours running before disappearing for a while.

However much it hurts brush them well, you'll find half an hour later they'll feel better.
  • Options
    Well I've caved. I'm going to see the worlds most useless dentist later. Fat lot of good he'll be, but hey ho...
  • Options
    Everyone seems to get tooth aches at xmas times. :yes:
  • Options
    Funnily enough I had one last christmas...
  • Options
    That's just odd. I've got one but only because I've got teeth coming through.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    That's just odd. I've got one but only because I've got teeth coming through.

Not odd at all. Been dentist and he says it's a root infection, and i've gotta have root canal surgery tomorrow. I've heard this really hurts. Does it? How long's it take? Is it messy? Having said that, i've never looked forward to going to a dentists so much. Can't wait for 'em to do it and get rid of the pain...
  • Options
    Not odd at all. Been dentist and he says it's a root infection, and i've gotta have root canal surgery tomorrow. I've heard this really hurts. Does it? How long's it take? Is it messy? Having said that, i've never looked forward to going to a dentists so much. Can't wait for 'em to do it and get rid of the pain...
    How much is it costing you?
  • Options
    Not odd at all. Been dentist and he says it's a root infection, and i've gotta have root canal surgery tomorrow. I've heard this really hurts. Does it? How long's it take? Is it messy?
    You're numbed up so it doesnt hurt, does take a wee while though, maybe about 30 - 45 mins and you might need to go back a few times for it.

What basically happens is the infected part of the root is removed, then the canals are cleaned with lots of little files and then once it all looks fine and dandy, your tooth gets filled with a filling.

My best friend is my dental nurse and my other friend is my dentist so I quite enjoy going to the dentists :p
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    How much is it costing you?

God only knows. Would anyone have any idea?
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    You're numbed up so it doesnt hurt, does take a wee while though, maybe about 30 - 45 mins and you might need to go back a few times for it.

What basically happens is the infected part of the root is removed, then the canals are cleaned with lots of little files and then once it all looks fine and dandy, your tooth gets filled with a filling.

My best friend is my dental nurse and my other friend is my dentist so I quite enjoy going to the dentists :p

Okay. So why might I need to go back a few times? Please tell me the pain will be gone once i've been once, otherwise i'm just having the bugger pulled...
  • Options
    Okay. So why might I need to go back a few times? Please tell me the pain will be gone once i've been once, otherwise i'm just having the bugger pulled...
    I think it's to make sure that all the infection has gone, if they remove the infected part, do a quick clean and then fill the tooth, chances are all of the infection wasnt removed and you could end up with an abscess which isnt the nicest of things. It'll be a minimum of 2 visits you'll need anyway.

Once the infection is removed and the root treatment is started you wont have any pain. Sometimes due to the price of it though, it's sometimes cheaper to have the tooth removed :/
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    I think it's to make sure that all the infection has gone, if they remove the infected part, do a quick clean and then fill the tooth, chances are all of the infection wasnt removed and you could end up with an abscess which isnt the nicest of things. It'll be a minimum of 2 visits you'll need anyway.

Once the infection is removed and the root treatment is started you wont have any pain. Sometimes due to the price of it though, it's sometimes cheaper to have the tooth removed :/

Hmmm, I suppose the best thing to do is discuss the options further with my dentist tomorrow then before he starts. Only thing about having it pulled, is that at age 21, I'm gonna look pretty trampy with a big gap in my teeth haha...
  • Options
    I had a root canal done. 4 trips to the dentist in 3 weeks with a fair ammount of pain, only for me to get a sodding abcess in it 2 weeks after that and had to have the tooth removed. She certainly got her money's worth out of that tooth !
  • Options
    God only knows. Would anyone have any idea?
    This might give you some idea.

What tooth is it Luke? I had to have my back 2 teeth on the bottom removed cos I got an abscess (that could've been avoided if the dopey dentist had given me root treatment!) when I was younger and I dont look like a gap toothed tramp :p
  • Options
    Jesus christ, pricey! I think it's a premolar, visible with a wide grin. And thanks Rubberskin, just what I needed to hear haha...
  • Options
    I know someone that spent £400 on something silly. The dentist is criminal, thankfully all my teeth problems are a thing of the past. I keep getting reminders through the door, but no way am I paying £40 for a check up to tell me I need to spend another hundred for work needed (even though theres nothing wrong ;))
  • Options
    Well had the root canal done. Was not to painful, just like having a really long filling. Am much better this morning, so appears to be successful (Fingers crossed!). To celebrate the pain relief, i'm gonna get so pissed this weekend...!