Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

FAO people who have given birth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is a really stupid question and I should probably know the answer, but if you are really pregnant, and after you've given birth, can you take scented bubble baths or would it be advised against?

Comments

• Options
    I *think* and I can't remember why I think this, that you should avoid Lavender stuff if you're really pregnant, something to do with triggering contractions or summut. Try Illora or Nikki, they may know.

Edit: Or maybe I'm completely wrong....
  • Options
    really. im pretty sure lavender is ok, but there are definitely some essential oils that should be avoided for aromatherapy.
    Im pretty sure that bubblebaths dont contain enough of anything to be dangerous, although if only recently given birth, anything too highly scented would likely sting like hell
  • Options
    It's fine. Really.

Only thing with baths is you're not supposed to have really hot ones whilst you're pregnant.

Lavender is one of the most innocuous of essential oils. There are others that should be avoided, like SCC said.
  • Options
    Like I said, I could well be wrong and it's not Lavender but something else instead. It's really bugging me now that I can't remember what it is. :banghead:

Like the others have said the comercial scented bubble baths probably won't have enough of anything in them to cause a problem.
  • Options
  • Options

Oh thats very helpful, thanks. My friend is just about 7 months pregnant with her second so I was going to get her bubble baths and aromatherapy candals and oils and stuff for her husband and her... I was actually thinking Jasmine, the one I have is lovely, I had no idea that wouldn't be so hot. Thanks so much! :thumb:
  • Options

That's the exact link I used for my aromatherapy assignment the other day :lol:

But it basically says it all - certain oils are useful during pregnancy, whereas some can be quite harmful. If you choose things which the website says are good for pregnancy as well, they often have some useful properties, such as being diuretics, and relieving swelling (can't think of the proper word now haha.)